PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Cheesecake

hamish
10-23-2014, 04:42 AM
This is my final track to share from 'Mind Machine', by Mr Ethereal and Dr Evil.

Pretty Cheesecake (https://app.box.com/shared/static/0ebjr7nb4xikml8cxtrk.mp3)

It's a collision of bossa, jazz and performance poetry, that despite being severely flawed still seems to be worthwhile.

It's definitely the lightest track we've done in this project.

See what you think, and how it compares to the previous two tracks...

mschuster
10-23-2014, 08:05 AM
lol.. well, i have to say - that's a first (listen wise) for me here on the ole' Collab forum. Nicely done! I dig it in a strange, unexplainable way. I think I would have enjoyed it much more with a glass of wine in my paw later this evening than the cup of Joe that currently resides there - but hey - fun nonetheless.

Really liked the bass. Almost sounded like a stand-up acoustic?

Well done!

Edit: forgot to mention I could never pass up anything with CHEESECAKE in the title! ;)

msore
10-23-2014, 08:55 AM
I am attracted to it. I think I might like it more with some editing, with some instrumental melodic-phrasing, some selected areas of craziness in the accompaniment tracks, and with some point of climax. Very worthwhile as a set of ideas to develop.

hamish
10-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Editing, hmm yes it's had plenty, but still probably not enough, even though I want a loose sound.

The Bass is a sampled upright that came with Cakewalk Dimension LE, and I played it in using my guitar, not JO but my REAPER velocity sensitive audio => MIDI FX chain (using ReaTune). After being so impressed with sammydix's Funky Smilin'.

msore you're on to the 'severe flaws' I'm talking about, I think for the length it is it needs further development. I still think maybe subtle interplay might do it, and I'd prefer to achieve it without adding any more instrumentation. Something like a drum solo might do it.

@mschuster: yes I love my cheesecake too!!

OpIvy
10-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Whoa... that was awesome! Well delivered lyrical genius!

This needs no editing whatsoever. It's got the feel I think you were going for.

But geez, you gotta write some lyrics for me one day....!

hamish
10-23-2014, 04:45 PM
But geez, you gotta write some lyrics for me one day....!

Not me man, Mr Ethereal is Guy Moore, he is also a scriptwriter for some really left of centre movies. If you have tunes you want him to hear send them to us, he is starting shooting soon for 'tampon' and needs a bunch of music. I can't do it all myself. I'll keep your tracks in mind as I read the script anyway, 'cause I love your stuff!

tspring
10-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Entertaining, strange, and unsafe at any speed. I like it. Nice use of bass samples and good guitar sounds. Lyricist somehow grabbing fragments from a radio with a very drifty channel selector.

T

sammydix
10-23-2014, 06:49 PM
love that roomy vibe, but really like that 'erratic' guitar--and the chords. I'm becoming a fan man. just crazy enough.

morgon
10-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Whoa... that was awesome! Well delivered lyrical genius!

This needs no editing whatsoever. It's got the feel I think you were going for.

But geez, you gotta write some lyrics for me one day....!I agree on all points there. Man I laughed at the line "..and the left-right paradigm will serve ya fine [cool sarcastic line]" Cheers Hamish, very entertaining stuff with substance, yes lyrical genius and something very warm hearted about this.

mostlyjustj
10-23-2014, 07:27 PM
just crazy enough.

Haha... my sentiments too.

Would like to have had a few breaks from 'the crazy' to let the music breathe a bit, but judging by the lyrics I doubt that anyone would give a f%^ck what I think!! ;)

*Definitely* creative, and definitely worth the listen.

hamish
10-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Entertaining, strange, and unsafe at any speed.

Awww, that's really a wonderful and sympathetic compliment that I really can't accept. Second thoughts, OK I'll take it!! :D

hamish
10-23-2014, 07:42 PM
love that roomy vibe, but really like that 'erratic' guitar--and the chords.

ahh, good, it's working then, the room sound is what makes it for me. guitar 'erratic' was helped along with echotappers 'wow and flutter' plugin.

The kit I sampled myself using 4 close and 3 room mics, I will share it as soon as I map the last two instruments.

hamish
10-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Man I laughed at the line "..and the left-right paradigm will serve ya fine [sarcasm]" Cheers Hamish, very entertaining stuff with substance, yes lyrical genius and something very warm hearted about this.

Hey if it made you laugh morgon my work is done! 'Mr Ethereal' is a lot like me, he has two young kids. He's a crank who cares too much about society, and gets really worked up about corrupt elites.

Could be a lot like you too I'm thinking?

morgon
10-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Hey if it made you laugh morgon my work is done! 'Mr Ethereal' is a lot like me, he has two young kids. He's a crank who cares too much about society, and gets really worked up about corrupt elites.
Could be a lot like you too I'm thinking?Yes I laughed at that political reference, [the cool sarcasm isn't lost on me] and I totally share your view on corrupt elites and what it means for my kids.

Political BS seems to be the prevailing catalyst for every man-made disaster atm. I don't buy into it. My wife took her mother on a one week holiday last Saturday, I didn't turn on either tv since that time and its now Friday, so count me as a free thinker, all the best -m

Badmotor
11-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Genius. Well done.

suleiman
11-06-2014, 03:49 AM
I came here through your nice drum share, and love it !

This I dig more than the electronica influenced earlier tracks. They were great too, but the more organic jazzy sound compliments the stream of consciousness lyrics completely.

This has a certain swag to it, kinda like a more urban Tom Waits.

The lyrics in the places are hilarious !

Also, Im totally gonna do that gtr --> midi --> sampled bass....

i got the basics right, but is there any thing else in the chain before the reatune (or after).

hamish
11-06-2014, 12:31 PM
i got the basics right, but is there any thing else in the chain before the reatune (or after).

Hi Suleiman, to get velocity sensitive MIDI I chain JS MIDI/midi_velocitycontrol after ReaTune, and parameter modulate the 'velocity add' slider. Can't remember exactly how I set up PM, but I'm sure with a few minutes tweaking you'll have yourself in the sweetspot.

It's probably good to put in some filters too, to try to remove glitches that are octave high or octave low, this happens a lot..,

kindafishy
11-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Well...

So much to love. The vocal rant is entertaining from start to finish.

The roomy sound of the guitar is very, very nice. The use of ambiance (and not) on the various components is really interesting and really well done. Especially the guitar. It's right out of a jazz club. Really like that.

Bass is awesome too.

The vocals vary in terms of level a bit much. Sometimes too loud. Some compression or better yet some fader riding (or Hornet autogain) would help a lot.

Other than the vocals being a bit here and there in level the whole thing is just brilliant. Lots of love went into this mix. So much to appreciate and admire.

hamish
11-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks Kevin, much appreciated.

I'm doing a re-write of sorts, as I finalised the Katoomba Kit and added more high hat articulation, and the mid tom which I want to add into this piece.

So I'll most certainly be reconsidering the vocals in light of your impressions.

Glad you like the bass and guitar though, I'm stoked!