PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Ending (Piano version)

Dream Of Sleeping
10-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Hi. I posted this song here when it was an indie rock song, but now I've adapted it for piano. Would love to know what you think.

It's about how much I hate new years eve.

https://soundcloud.com/dreamofsleeping/stephen-king-ending-piano

Stephen King Ending

Could waste a lifetime
Waiting on midnight
Days either forgotten or folded in cards
Stored in the attic but we'll never bring them down
It's too hard

I have enough
Just don't look up
If I need outside, I'll open a window
That's enough
Oh my god!
If I need someone I'll call you tomorrow

I still see the fireworks through curtains and closed eyelids
Text me a happy new year

We'll start as soon as the evenings aren't as cold
Still a year to go
At the end of spring if I can breathe through my noise
Seven months to go
Just lay down to rest my eyes
There's two weeks to go
10, 9, 8.....

Could waste a lifetime
Was never a right time
The year is a heart beating high on caffeine
Both eyes on the future or end up in could have been
Where it's too bad

I have enough..... (same as first time)

I still see the fireworks through curtains and closed eyelids
I turn up the tv to drown out the caterwaul
Musicians play like it's not really months before
Jools, wish me a happy new year

Give me my ending
My Stephen King ending
I'll say it was nothing
We'll feel warm inside

Give me my ending
My Stephen King Ending
It's four past midnight
And it all went right

Dream Of Sleeping
10-30-2014, 05:22 AM
That bad I've stunned you all into silence eh?

Fex
10-30-2014, 06:52 AM
It's gorgeous. It's a good song, a good performance, and a great production.

I like the lines
"If I need outside
I'll open a window"

Can you post a link to the indie rock version? I'd like to compare the two.

The vocal sounds suitably jaded. Some of the pronunciation is a little unorthodox to my ears, but this isn't really a criticism. are you a native English speaker?

Dream Of Sleeping
10-30-2014, 07:10 AM
It's gorgeous. It's a good song, a good performance, and a great production.

I like the lines
"If I need outside
I'll open a window"

Can you post a link to the indie rock version? I'd like to compare the two.

The vocal sounds suitably jaded. Some of the pronunciation is a little unorthodox to my ears, but this isn't really a criticism. are you a native English speaker?

Thanks for listening! And yes I'm from England. haha I'm curious about what words I'm singing unorthodox.

Here is a link to the Indie version.I'll revisit it someday when my production skills have improved a bit. http://www.reverbnation.com/dreamofsleeping/song/20209158-stephen-king-ending

Fex
10-30-2014, 07:31 AM
I'm curious about what words I'm singing unorthodox.Mostly, it's the words with an 'a' sound:
attic
happy
bad
caterwaul

I'm hearing:
artic
harpy
bard
carterwaul

also:
enough (enarf)
ending (arnding)

Since you ask - no offence meant!

I'm probably over-sensitive to this sort of thing due to years working in TEFL.
The pronunciation is growing on me. It adds character.

One other thing.... I heard "Jews wish me a happy new year." :D
Here is a link to the Indie version.I'll revisit it someday when my production skills have improved a bit.The mix leaves a little to be desired, but it's a nice arrangement. I think the piano version suits the subject matter much better, though.

Dream Of Sleeping
10-30-2014, 07:40 AM
That's so strange. I'm listing and I don't here the "ar" thing at all.

And I hope I don't offend Jews!

The good thing about the indie mix is that when I finished I thought it sounded totally professional, and now only two songs later, I think it sound crap, so I guess my ears have developed.

sammydix
10-30-2014, 07:52 AM
love your vocal arrangement is this, very sophisticated. warm piano tones played with expression. it made me feel "comfortable" in a very nice way.

Fex
10-30-2014, 07:57 AM
That's so strange.No it's not. It's YOUR accent. I can't smell my own body odour, but others, apparently, can....

Discussing accents once with a stupid Canadian cow I had the misfortune to work with, she came out with the classic,
"I don't have an accent."

Which part of this shitty island are you from, anyway?

Dream Of Sleeping
10-30-2014, 08:01 AM
love your vocal arrangement is this, very sophisticated. warm piano tones played with expression. it made me feel "comfortable" in a very nice way.

Thanks for listening and commenting. I appreciate it!

Dream Of Sleeping
10-30-2014, 08:07 AM
No it's not. It's YOUR accent. I can't smell my own body odour, but others, apparently, can....

Discussing accents once with a stupid Canadian cow I had the misfortune to work with, she came out with the classic,
"I don't have an accent."

Which part of this shitty island are you from, anyway?

I live in Melton Mowbray which I have since I was 6. My mum is here who has a geordie accent, and she doesn't hear it either. She can definitely tell me when I stink too.

In one place in the song I sing "it's too hard" followed by "I have". If what you were saying was correct then hard and have would sound a lot more similar.

But if you hear it then you hear it. I was just saying I don't. I never have a problem with someone giving me their honest opinion. I just appreciate the time you have taken to give me feedback. Thanks.

Fex
10-30-2014, 08:33 AM
My mum is here who has a geordie accent, and she doesn't hear it either.My friend just arrived. He hears it, and he's half deaf. It's a northern/southern thing, then.

I applaud you for singing in your own voice, instead of trying to sound like a Merkin!

sammydix
10-30-2014, 08:51 AM
same n/s accent thing here in America...but, of course, i don't have one.

Dream Of Sleeping
11-09-2014, 06:22 AM
It was played on the radio last night at about 41:16 in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p029sfy7

It sounded fucking terrible. Slight distortion and it changed the song completely. Anyone know what I could have done to make it sound better on radio? I like the original mix but radio does something drastic to it.

HugoRibeiroDotCom
11-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Wonderful!!! ;)

Fex
11-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Anyone know what I could have done to make it sound better on radio? I like the original mix but radio does something drastic to it.
The guy's voice, before your song even starts, sounds fucking terrible. It's not his voice.... the whole station sounds terrible; or the web version does, anyway. I'm quite shocked that this is the best the BBC can do.

So, no, there's nothing you could have done to make yourself sound good in that context. Anyone else would have sounded as bad.

Generally speaking, the rule for radio is, don't crush the crap out of the master, for they surely will. If you can, get a mix that sounds good with that crazy ass compression/limiter/eq which radio stations always use, and then submit it without any of that crap, or much in the way of any other crap, for that matter.

Dream Of Sleeping
11-09-2014, 09:13 AM
The guy's voice, before your song even starts, sounds fucking terrible. It's not his voice.... the whole station sounds terrible; or the web version does, anyway. I'm quite shocked that this is the best the BBC can do.

So, no, there's nothing you could have done to make yourself sound good in that context. Anyone else would have sounded as bad.

Generally speaking, the rule for radio is, don't crush the crap out of the master, for they surely will. If you can, get a mix that sounds good with that crazy ass compression/limiter/eq which radio stations always use, and then submit it without any of that crap, or much in the way of any other crap, for that matter.

Thank you. You've put my mind at ease a little.

I was played on that Tom Robinson show a few years ago. That was even worse with compression. I had a song where I slightly caught the acoustic guitar. Just a tiny tap that I hadn't noticed after listening to the song about a million times. Then on the radio that tiny tap was THACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dream Of Sleeping
11-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Wonderful!!! ;)

Thanks very much!

hamish
11-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Really well produced, and doesn't sound at all derived either. Worthwhile stuff imo.

Dream Of Sleeping
11-10-2014, 02:14 AM
Really well produced, and doesn't sound at all derived either. Worthwhile stuff imo.

Thanks so much for listening.

Garrick
11-10-2014, 02:47 AM
Loved it heaps and heaps.

The first thing I noticed was your accent which is a good thing, without that individuality it would have just been some nice piano playing.

Your voice, omg, it breaks my heart, beautiful.

Hey that was an actual piano?

Dream Of Sleeping
11-10-2014, 03:10 AM
Loved it heaps and heaps.

The first thing I noticed was your accent which is a good thing, without that individuality it would have just been some nice piano playing.

Your voice, omg, it breaks my heart, beautiful.

Hey that was an actual piano?

Thanks! It's not a real piano. It's addictive keys.

Garrick
11-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Thanks! It's not a real piano. It's addictive keys.

haha

i'll buy two

Breeder
11-10-2014, 05:08 AM
This is excellent - thanks for sharing!

Fex
11-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Listening again, for pleasure (and because I happen to be Window[s] shopping for a virtual piano), I'm struck by the harmonies. I know that producing in this style isn't difficult, but this is really nicely done.

While it's well comped (and quite possibly pitch adjusted), another nice touch is the natural quality of the vocals; not just the accent, but the fact that you can hear the voice working to reach the lower end of its range. It would be so easy to run the recording faster to record it, or 'fix' it with Autotune, or whatever, and completely ruin it.

Tangent; one great thing about stumbling randomly into this on Soundclod is that it's immediately followed by something called Take To The Skies by something called Serafyn, and it, also, is gorgeous.

Soundclod was a typo, but I think I like it.