PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming in Vain

mschuster
11-13-2014, 11:15 AM
New song.

As always, any and all comments welcome!

Thanks,
Mark

Dreaming in Vain (https://soundcloud.com/markbschuster/dreaming-in-vain)

msore
11-13-2014, 03:11 PM
The piece first struck me with its tone, then with its virtuosity, then with its composition, then with its arrangement. All impressive and enjoyable.

I liked the horn used toward the end and the way it interleaved with the guitar.

Would like to hear to say something about your designs and strategies in getting the guitars to work so well together. And then also how you thought about the way you got the drums and guitars to work together. Not in each other's way at all.

Just before listening to your piece, I heard (in my car) a collection of nice guitar-centered pieces from Al DiMeola. In listening to your piece I could hear his clean-but-flexible fingering in your articulation. Not talking about Al's speed-flamenco style, but rather his slow ballad style - very organic.

HugoRibeiroDotCom
11-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Fantastic song Mark! Your mixing skills are also very good I must say!

cheers

m5blackmond
11-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Wow, really great Mark. Like, exceptionally good. So many great moments in this one. I thought it couldn't get better, but then those horns came in. MMMM MM DELICIOUS. I felt a little back and forth between the lead guitar and the horns -- dare I say call and response? ;)

At first, it's has a nice ambient and somber feel. THEN 0:54, oooh that fill into the full drums. Then 1:21 -- now we're cooking! But man, 2:40 to the end of the songs gives me such a good feeling. Such a great passage. I wish I could write like that. I think I need to incorporate some horns into my music.

I hate just praising, because I feel like I'm just being too nice. If I had to make one criticism (and I hate to do it, because it's so minor), but there's these three kick hits 0:58-0:59 that just sound off time (maybe it's some subtle groove I'm missing). It comes one more time later (~1:58). It's like this strange mistake surrounded by perfection.

Anyway, again excellent work, brother.

mschuster
11-13-2014, 09:09 PM
thanks guys!

@msore: gosh, i'll take an Al DiMeola comparison any day of the week! love that guy. you write so elegantly msore. really appreciate your thoughtful comments. as for the guitars, you know - i generally put an effect on clean rhythmic guitars to spread them to the sides, like a chorus/flanger - and then always put the leads up the center, or close, for clarity. i sometimes differ impulses, but i don't think i did that on this one. Generally EQ them the same - but i tinker so much - i may actually differ them subconsciously via other ways. as for the drums, i don't really do anything consciously here either. i do, always, HP the guitars at like 99hz to avoid any contention with bass/kick below. and, because of my input for the guitars (podXT) i never have anything worth saving over 5k so i almost always LP at 5k. perhaps that helping...

@hugo: thanks Hugo! God knows i try.

@m5blackmond: thank you. i really like those horns too. i wanted some horns a few months ago for another tune i was writing so went out and google'd "free horn wav" and got the wavs in this song. there fantastic if you ask me. a guy named Mihai Sorohan. great tone. as for the kick hits you refer to, i think they're in time, but maybe sound a little odd where they're falling. just how the drummer played them. they're from the ToonTrack groove library. mostly from the 6/8 AVATAR library.

sammydix
11-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Right off the bat, this sets a 'mood', rather ethereal at that. warm guitar tones
add to the effect and I can hear every one of them. The mix matches the sound. Drums sound more 'background', but i really think that's appropriate for the song.

Fergler
11-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Holy crap everything is just perfect

mschuster
11-14-2014, 02:09 PM
@sammydix: thanks Sam!

@Fergler: well alrighty then!

pbattersby
11-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Definitely a nice peace of work here. So smooth and well blended. the Trumpets were a nice touch. It just adds that little something special above and beyond what was already good and interesting.

Well done.

mschuster
11-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Definitely a nice peace of work here. So smooth and well blended. the Trumpets were a nice touch. It just adds that little something special above and beyond what was already good and interesting.

Well done.

thank you! in school band i chose the drums and my older brother took the trumpet. i really loved it back then, but lost interest over the years (most likely due to the dreaded "metal years"). now that i'm an old man, ;), i've rediscovered my love for all things trumpet. i love Maynard Ferguson. also really enjoy Chuck Mangione. you could say he inspired the fugel horn on this one. remember "feels so good"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pl1YU1rXuE

kindafishy
11-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Something that strikes me about your compositions, Mark, is that your playing sounds so flowing and effortless that the complexity of the music does not become a feature that a listener needs to focus on, rather it becomes an intricate weave that supports the overall.

The focus is on the song, not on the elements that make it up. That, my friend (IMO), is the essence of being an artist who composes a piece of music in a melding of talent and craft, as opposed to someone like me who throws riffs at each other until they work.

Another beautiful piece. This reminded me a bit of Hangin With Q. I kept expecting to hear your daughter again.

Are you planning on putting your latest collection of songs together in some sort of release at some point?

mschuster
11-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Are you planning on putting your latest collection of songs together in some sort of release at some point?

thanks Kev! it's always nice to read your reviews. ;) i love the depth by which you describe elements of my music (and others here, for that matter). you have a real knack for concisely and accurately conveying the most important aspects of a song. i can only guess it comes from your own personal depth as a musician/engineer.

my original idea was to release an EP of 4 of the best songs that came out of this little experiment. i think i have at least a couple i'm proud enough to press, but may keep going and write a few more until i'm absolutely sure i have 4 keepers. i'm getting a little more picky as i get older and realize, more than ever, that much of what i write and release on the net will in many ways be my musical legacy when i'm long gone.