PDA

View Full Version : Please listen to my new demo.

jimrogenski
11-29-2014, 12:21 PM
The song is "It's You" available at https://soundcloud.com/thismustbethursday/its-you.
This is a kind of a soft rock song with a funk beat.
All instrumentation is virtual.
The piano, bass and oboe are from Independence (Yellow Tools/ Magix).
The organ and guitar are from Sample Tank 2.
The drums are Jamstix.

I welcome helpful comments and constructive criticism. I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks

flickervetigo
11-29-2014, 12:50 PM
your voice and songs deserve better players... but you know that

I was hoping, from the picture, that you had a band

Fex
11-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Some of the sounds are a little dry - a touch of reverb here and there might help.
The voice is very nice, and it's a good arrangement, but it would be served better by some real instruments.
The drums aren't great, and there's not much in the way of bass; these should, perhaps, be priorities.

Fictional Substance
11-29-2014, 02:42 PM
I love this song. Why so many virtual instruments, though? I mean, when I use them it's because I have no choice, but it DOES look like you have others (bandcamp site) to play the real deal.

jimrogenski
11-29-2014, 03:37 PM
The band is not really available for recording right now. For instance our bass player is actually in South America, no joke! This was based off a track they wrote but never developed as a band. So I thought it would be a good vehicle to work with. I love using virtual instruments and enjoyed the exercise, trying to make them sound realistic. It seems that there is much to learn.

Cosmic
11-29-2014, 03:54 PM
I love it!

I love the instrumentation too!

Dream Of Sleeping
11-29-2014, 04:13 PM
I like it. The vocals are very strong. The instrumentation is pretty good too. You could kind of tell that the drums were midi, but for some reason it just didn't bother me. I think you should just keep dong what you are doing.

flickervetigo
11-29-2014, 04:29 PM
...This was based off a track they wrote but never developed as a band. ..

what's your relationship to the ban? ...who are the principle songwriters? ...what's the glue that's holding the band together?

how serious is the band about its music when the bass player flits off to south America?

jimrogenski
11-29-2014, 04:41 PM
I am the dad of a couple of band members. My daughter is the singer. Most of their song writing was a collaboration between her and the bass player. As to seriousness, not much. It is a typical teen/young adult band which begins to fall apart as the members become adults and have divergent interests and lives. My role has been as a recordist and some-time producer. My daughter still writes some songs, but are of a style that her bandmates no longer find interesting.

Fex
11-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I've made at tracks with musicians on three different continents. I'm pretty sure they have the internet in South America.... next time, tell him to take his bass with him!

Fex
11-29-2014, 04:48 PM
My daughter still writes some songs, but are of a style that her bandmates no longer find interesting.Her voice is certainly interesting. Maybe she should think about starting another band....

flickervetigo
11-29-2014, 04:50 PM
.. a style that her bandmates no longer find interesting.

the question becomes, then, do you think the other band members would ever be able to play well enough to match your daugher's singing and songwriting?

msundh
11-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Damn! This is good! This is A great singer.
I liked the arrangement very much.
I'm a follower:)

Fex
11-29-2014, 05:37 PM
The first note she sings is a little flat. It happens. I'd probably tweak that.
It is a killer voice, though.

jimrogenski
11-29-2014, 05:55 PM
...The drums aren't great, and there's not much in the way of bass; these should, perhaps, be priorities.

Is the problem with the drums the way they sound or the arrangement? Same question... bass.

Fex
11-29-2014, 06:15 PM
IIRC, the drums sounded very wide and a little unnatural, and the bass just wasn't quite bassy enough for my taste.

The SoundCloud file is stubbornly refusing to play now, unfortunately.

Fex
11-29-2014, 06:33 PM
My audio driver had crashed. :)

My big problem with the drums is that they are bone dry. They're programmed so as to sound like real drums, but they don't, quite, because there is no sense of them being played in a room. I'd rather listen to a drum machine that sounds like a drum machine, IYSWIM. For some purposes, only real drums will suffice. What I think this recording most needs, however, is just a touch of room reverb on the drum buss.

jimrogenski
11-29-2014, 06:40 PM
My big problem with the drums is that they are bone dry. They're programmed so as to sound like real drums, but they don't, quite, because there is no sense of them being played in a room. I'd rather listen to a drum machine that sounds like a drum machine, IYSWIM. For some purposes, only real drums will suffice. What I think this recording most needs, however, is just a touch of room reverb on the drum buss.

Thanks. That's the kind of specific advice I need.

Cosmic
11-29-2014, 07:00 PM
My daughter still writes some songs, but are of a style that her bandmates no longer find interesting.

SHE SOUNDS AWESOME

Fex
11-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Yeah.... her former bandmates could end up feeling pretty sick about her forthcoming interplanetary mega-stardom. Sucks 2 B them.

flickervetigo
11-29-2014, 07:27 PM
boyce avenue has lots of videos up, very simple, very effective arranemnts...

but I suspect alejandor manzano is a musical genius... don't know if listenng to them would help you or not

anyhow, they do lots of duets with yung female singers that sound a lot like lyour daughter...

byce avenue skyscraper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ3r-rXUABI

other duets

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=byce+aneue+duets

megan nicole, singing on "skyscraper", has already gone to the dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-fTwrJ1ww4

jimrogenski
11-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Made a few adjustments to the song. You can hear it at https://soundcloud.com/thismustbethursday/its-you-demo-with-some-small-changes.

What do you think, sirs?

flickervetigo
11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
..What do you think, sirs?

sounds smoother to me

but maybe the most important question is, "what does your daughter think?" ...I mean, she's got lots of faith in her songs, faith that's sustained her through the band's mediocre performance... how much faith, ambition and determination does whe have about her music?

who's driving this operation, you or her?

what if she decides to do the normal thing and start making a grampa out of you?

Fex
11-30-2014, 03:55 PM
What do you think, sirs?The song's growing on me. I liked it well enough to start with.

I think the drums could come up in the mix a teensy little bit. The bass is better now, but it's crying out for something that sounds a bit more like a bass guitar.

The drums seem a little wide - I hear specific beats popping out of just one speaker, and, again, it spoils the illusion of there being a drum kit.

I still want to hear the first note of vox tweaked, because the rest is perfect.

Is it me, or did some of the instruments lose some treble?

I think you've done a really good job of tracking this, and not a bad job of mixing it. I can find fault with pretty much anything.

jimrogenski
11-30-2014, 04:12 PM
...what if she decides to do the normal thing and start making a grampa out of you?

Well, she is getting married soon. So her attention has certainly been in other directions. But we have always said that this was just for fun.

Thanks for enjoying the song.

jimrogenski
11-30-2014, 04:16 PM
I still want to hear the first note of vox tweaked, because the rest is perfect.

I did put an instance of ReaTune on it, and I thought I had it tamed. Maybe not. Otherwise, you sound like me, I always find more and more to tweak. And everyone wonders why it takes me so long to get a song done.

Your comments have been of great help. We all know the value of "new ears"
Thanks much.

Fex
11-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I did put an instance of ReaTune on it, and I thought I had it tamed. Maybe not.It's probably better. My expectations may be affecting my judgement at this point. As might the excruciating out of tune ebow guitar solo I've been fighting all evening....

flickervetigo
11-30-2014, 04:37 PM
.... we have always said that this was just for fun.

Thanks for enjoying the song.

"just for fun" sounds pretty sensible to me

the listening was my pleasure

hamish
11-30-2014, 07:28 PM
For a demo of your daughters very good voice and songwriting I think it's quite good, but I agree with what has been said by Fex re the drums. In particular for me the sections with the ride cymbal. The sequence seems fine, but the panning does call attention to it.

Who knows, it might work in your favour, someone with connections and a budget may hear it and and think 'I just have to produce this properly'.

donchilcott
12-01-2014, 12:41 AM
I like it. You should be a proud Dad, She sound like Nora Jones. I do arrangements for my daughter too but I make demos and try to get live musicians when the time is right. :-)

flickervetigo
12-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I think the groove is the thing

if a programmer can program a groove that's good enough to inspire the singer, that's good

but if the singer believes so strongly in the song that she doesn't need a groove, then what?

the question is, "do programmers get as much fun from programming as players do playing?

...or maybe the real question is, "can a programmer feed off his programming like players feed off other playuers?"

daryl hall and chromeo... a feeding frenzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOE1-2Fza5Q

the bass player looks lost in space... you to to wonder who's playing bass starting at 4:40...

god?

hamish
12-01-2014, 06:13 PM
daryl hall and chromeo... a feeding frenzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOE1-2Fza5Q

Superb playing all round. Very sad to see that T-bone Wolke (the acoustic guitar player on that video) passed away in 2010, what a loss.

flickervetigo
12-01-2014, 06:22 PM
.. T-bone Wolke (the acoustic guitar player on that video) passed away in 2010, what a loss.

hall's been through a couple guitar players sine T-bone...

hall's been around long enough to know hat the band just wont be the same, no matter who replaces t-bone

flickervetigo
12-01-2014, 06:39 PM
I got to laugh at this, the latest guitar player I've seen with daryl

he does an astonishing lead starting at 2:30, an nobody pays any attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPO_rPRJROU&list=PLIYdbwUUhrSlTtN2Sy_OFg_aYd8eMl9Ci&index=5

well, it astonishes me, hamhanded me...

diferent bass player, too, different location... don't know if it will work without t-bone

karbomusic
12-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Superb playing all round. Very sad to see that T-bone Wolke (the acoustic guitar player on that video) passed away in 2010, what a loss.

I've followed that show from near episode one. I had no idea of the sheer musical genius of T-bone until I started watching that show. I was severely bummed to hear of his passing, he was nothing short of completely amazing while being a happy, exited and a motivating person at the same time.

If one watches him from show to show playing different instruments many times, his licks and choices are always super, super, super tasty and "just right".

NKB
12-04-2014, 12:29 PM
I was listening to this song just now and my wife yelled to me that she loves it and wants a copy.

I like it as well. Your daughter sounds amazing. Exactly the kind of thing I personally look for in a female vocalist. I started following your SoundCloud page about a year ago when you drew attention to it with another song you posted here.

Personally I think you did a pretty good job using all VSTs. It sounds good and sounds like a band playing. Had you not pointed it out in your initial post I doubt that most would have known any difference contrary to what some might say.;) I thought the drums sounded a little better in the first version though. I can't tell what else you changed in the second.

jimrogenski
12-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Thanks NKB. I appreciate your kind words. Of course, I am working on yet another updated version of the song. When it is ready, I'll let you know.

martifingers
12-05-2014, 05:58 AM
I really liked this. A great voice that for me recalled more Joanna Newsom and Regina Spektor rather than Norah Jones (that's some praise by the way).

There was something about the arrangement that seemed a little .... hmmm. impersonal? And that was at odds with the very emotive vocals and lyrics.

Just a personal opinion but I would try it "unplugged" and add vocal harmonies
maybe.

In any event I am very glad I bothered to listen. Congratulations on the music (and upcoming marriage too!)

dr_After
12-06-2014, 03:52 PM
OMG, such a lovely vocal :)

The song is really good (chords and melody), the vocals are OUTSTANDING, mix and arrange suck as many people mentioned it earlier. This track has huge potential. You just need real people and instruments.

Again - her singing is absolutely georgeous. That's the strongest thing of all. Luckily it is also the most important one ;)

EDIT: Oh, and get rid of Jamstix! I know that many many people say "it's real", but believe me - it IS NOT. I own this software, I tried a lot to make it work, I even worked on it with my fellow drummer beside and it NEVER worked. It can sound right in some measures and then - BAM - it sounds very artifical. I guess that algorithm is not so great after all. Use MIDI grooves from Toontrack and other sources - it is much better solution, especially for pop music.