PDA

View Full Version : maryjane in the morning

flickervetigo
12-02-2014, 02:54 PM
maryjane in the morning

https://soundcloud.com/wadosy/maryjane-in-the-morning

don't have much faith in this song anymore... seems to embody a self-indulgent optimism that's gonna get harder and harder to fulfill

the pilot track was recorded to a click and the playing seems to reflect that... stilted, not much feeling to the playing, but that may also be partly due to my skepticism about the song

anyhow, I should have found a drum track that sort of spoke to the song and recorded against that... even if I didn't keep it

Jorgen
12-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Well I be damned... nice, clean recording, song too... Tambourine sounds exciting...

Jorgen
12-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Read any Brautigan? How do you record?

Gumption... I be damned...

flickervetigo
12-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Read any Brautigan? How do you record?

Gumption... I be damned...

thanks for listening...

sometimes I use a click or drum pattern or both... gumption, though, I think went in freehand, without any click or drums... which complicates editing if you need to edit

you can kinda get around that by doing a tap track, that gets you in the ballpark, but you'll probably have to nudge things around a little to get it just right

shure ssm58 for the vocal, seagull entourage (electic only, no mic) for the guitar... I use the input inserts on the behringer fca1616 to plumb the guitar over to an effects box so I can hear real time guitar effects while recording, then fine tune the effects using reainsert

too much guitar reverb on "maryjane"

martifingers
12-05-2014, 06:12 AM
Have faith. This drew me in after a while and made me listen and care.
I didn't feel the backing was stilted but you surely could handle it without the click track.
I can hear it with a "bigger" arrangement and even was playing some guitar licks along by the end.

Jorgen
12-05-2014, 07:36 AM
too much guitar reverb on "maryjane"
Sounded fine to my ears... about reverb, tell you the truth, imo reverb and delay and stuff are just the thing... gives a sense of space and stuff, imho.