PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

BeeStang
12-07-2014, 07:38 PM
I have a problem. I write songs that get about 90-95% done and i start to move on. I wish i could team up or pay someone to help me finish these things up. Someone who could add their own musical/vocal touch if needed to help round out a fully formed song. Most are instrumentals with little to no vocals. Any ideas/advice? or who wants to team up? should i find someone local?

i have way more songs than whats on my soundcloud page, but any songs there that need a polish or whatever, i want done.

https://soundcloud.com/twist-tide

Fictional Substance
12-08-2014, 04:05 AM
I don't know what to say about that, but I do know that your avatar creeps me out.

Fex
12-08-2014, 05:16 AM
I wish i could team up or pay someone to help me finish these things up. Someone who could add their own musical/vocal touch if needed to help round out a fully formed song.You can pay to get specific jobs done, but it helps if you know what you want. Otherwise, there's the uncomfortable question of what constitutes a finished job....
Most are instrumentals with little to no vocals. Any ideas/advice? or who wants to team up? should i find someone local?Unless you're hoping to play live, there's not much advantage to working with someone local, except to the extent that the personal relationship affects the work. There are numerous collaboration websites which might be of use to you; check out ccMixter (http://ccmixter.org/) and Kompoz (http://www.kompoz.com).

BeeStang
12-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Cool guys thx. Lol well i guess i dont know how to finish them. maybe i need to look at one of these remixing collab sites u posted. Or just find someone to master them and work with me with cutting out parts and fixing vocals and shit. Anyone know a good mix/mastering place/person to do business with in my genre? how much is this going to cost me?
I'd like to get this mastered.
https://soundcloud.com/twist-tide/it-wasnt-half-bad-by-twist
Should i have it remixed also?

i'd rather team up with an experienced musician that can bust out some songs with me,
or just name your price. lol idk
lots of question. who else do i ask tho? thx guys

karbomusic
12-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Give it an end, sing something/anything. If it isn't going to be heard due to not being finished, it doesn't hurt to sing whatever until you find something you like. Additionally, it is much more probable you will sing something, hate it and want to hit delete. Don't, leave it because somewhere down the road it may hit you differently and either be "the thing" you needed or inspire something else. And if you don't have lyrics, sing syllables and gibberish or read milk cartons, whatever it takes.

It's better to constantly write, record and finish bad songs than to have hundreds of half finished good songs.

Fex
12-08-2014, 06:11 PM
I'd like to get this mastered.
https://soundcloud.com/twist-tide/it-wasnt-half-bad-by-twist
Should i have it remixed also?You're probably the only person who can answer that. Are you happy with your mix? It sounds pretty good to me. Where mastering your finished stuff is concerned, it might help you to think in terms of an EP, even if not intended for commercial release. (An album might be a bit ambitious for a one man project, but a four or six song EP is certainly achievable, right?) At that point, the whole question of the mixes and particularly the mastering becomes a question of achieving uniformity right across the EP project. Better ears with a better system than yours might well find room for improvement.

I'm guessing that these tracks on SoundCloud sound pretty much how you want them, though. Electronica isn't hard to mix well, and you seem to have a good handle on that whole fiddly vox thing.

I'm also guessing that you feel a bit stuck in the box. Your music sounds a bit stuck in the box, if you listen to enough of it.

Teaming up is a good idea, but you do have to know what you want. Drums can do wonders for sample based music. An array of guest vocalists? Why not?

It's for you to decide who to pay, and for what. Shop around. Listen to what professionals and gifted amateurs have to offer in terms of performances and mixing/mastering skills. Decide what you want to pay, and pay it. Eric down the road who's given himself plugins for Christmas might be just the man for the job.

For songwriting, you might well be better off finding a local partner to spark ideas off. The sticky issue of copyrights is bound to arise....

BeeStang
12-09-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm now deep in thought with what to do. U guys brought up some more good ideas/points/questions for me to figure out. I was hoping for an easy answer. Lol.
I really appreciate the replies.

karbomusic
12-09-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm now deep in thought with what to do. U guys brought up some more good ideas/points/questions for me to figure out. I was hoping for an easy answer. Lol.
I really appreciate the replies.

Two things...

1) You are going to suffocate if you don't take that bag off your head and I bet it really hurts your vocal tracks. ;)

2) I'm in NC FYI.

BeeStang
12-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Two things...

1) You are going to suffocate if you don't take that bag off your head and I bet it really hurts your vocal tracks. ;)

2) I'm in NC FYI.

1) lol
2) greenville sc

karbomusic
12-09-2014, 02:23 PM
1) lol
2) greenville sc

Charlotte... just traveled through Greenville on my way to the mountains a couple months back. I'll wave next time.

BeeStang
12-09-2014, 03:05 PM
crap ur right around the corner. was just at Carowinds a few months back

karbomusic
12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
crap ur right around the corner. was just at Carowinds a few months back

Dude, I'm moving to within 3 miles of Carowinds in about 3 weeks. See you there!

BeeStang
12-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Dude, I'm moving to within 3 miles of Carowinds in about 3 weeks. See you there!
lol cool. we go for BMW day
Is it weird/dumb to pay for studio time to watch and see how they remix and master my songs? would they let me stand over their shoulders and let me watch how they dissect my songs tracks on their DAW. like a power audio workshop so i can learn how the pros do it

Fex
12-09-2014, 03:41 PM
would they let me stand over their shoulders and let me watch how they dissect my songs tracks on their DAW.Most will, some won't, but the one's who won't, you probably can't afford. Most professionals are interested in keeping the customer satisfied.

(BTW, you two need to get a room. Literally.)

BeeStang
12-09-2014, 05:28 PM
(BTW, you two need to get a room. Literally.)

lol. well if he wants to meet me, tell him i'm at the The Royal Maritime Club with ur mom.

Fex
12-09-2014, 05:35 PM
He's at the Royal Maritime Club with my mum.

BeeStang
12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
i hope he can make it

BeeStang
12-09-2014, 06:26 PM
all jokes aside thx for the replies guys