PDA

View Full Version : Juletiden [song] fb pls :)

G-Sun
12-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Hi folks!

Here's my latest release: Juletiden
https://geirsolerod.bandcamp.com/track/juletiden
(norwegian lyrics)

Please have a listen and give some feedback
-production, mix, mastering,
whatever sticks out to you.

I've done much myself: song, arrangements, vocal, bass, el.guitar, perc, mix and mastering.
Got some help with back-vocals and violin/viola.
Loz (bladerunner) helped me with master eq.

Some production-info:
- Had very problems doing a decent vocal-performance.
- Heavy use of pitch and time-correction.
- 100+tracks.

Thanks!

btw, lyrics.
It's a christmas-tune, at core:
It's Christmas-time, time to relax and be at peace :)

hamish
12-10-2014, 06:19 PM
That does sound very peaceful Geir. My ears are not the best today, but the mix sounds nice and clean as far as I can tell. My only negative is the percussion parts (the hand drums) that really don't seem to suit the arrangement, they just don't gell for me. The nice natural strings and vocals redeem it though. Gut Jul.

G-Sun
12-11-2014, 12:51 AM
That does sound very peaceful Geir. My ears are not the best today, but the mix sounds nice and clean as far as I can tell. My only negative is the percussion parts (the hand drums) that really don't seem to suit the arrangement, they just don't gell for me. The nice natural strings and vocals redeem it though. Gut Jul.
Thanks a lot hamish!
Perc: I got a negative fb with the perc. from another pro as well.
Need to come up with something else I guess for another production.
Is it the sound mostly, or me being amateurish at playing?

God jul! :)

hamish
12-11-2014, 02:26 AM
Is it the sound mostly, or me being amateurish at playing?

The sound is no problem, but choice of instrument and the rhythms of the parts don't seem to move the song along the right way (include the drum kit part in this comment too). For the song maybe more straight orchestral flavour would be in order. There is a cymbal that seems to 'work' and the bell tree at the ends seems appropriate too. I heard a concert of John Denvers that was a few years before he died and he had a fantastic percussionist in the band. I think your song has something of a John Denver style.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL25EACD51AF66D6D6 the 'Wildlife' concert 1995

Thanks for correcting my swedish!! of course I meant God jul! :)

G-Sun
12-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Thanks!
Listening to John Denver ....Darcy Farrow ( Wildlife Concert 1995 )
Shaker is only perc.
If I just could sing that well :)

G-Sun
12-11-2014, 05:39 AM
Listening again to my song.
Yes, start to get it.
I guess it's mostly a problem on systems with decent lowend-playback though

Tod
12-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi Geir, I thought it sounded very pleasant too, really nice to hear something without all that distortion for a change. :)

I thought it had a very nice flow to it, I take it there were no VSTis involved.

I think I agree with hamish, you don't need a drum with this, I think the general rhythm of the other instruments and vocal will carry it.

100 tracks, heh heh, lots of experimenting. :)

G-Sun
12-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Hi Geir, I thought it sounded very pleasant too, really nice to hear something without all that distortion for a change. :)

I thought it had a very nice flow to it, I take it there were no VSTis involved.

I think I agree with hamish, you don't need a drum with this, I think the general rhythm of the other instruments and vocal will carry it.

100 tracks, heh heh, lots of experimenting. :)
Thanks Tod!
I appreciate positive comments from such a seasoned guy.

Almost no vsti, just some bassdrum-replacement.

100+: Well, a lot of tracks for the midi-arrangments and utillity.

Need to improve as perc-producer and player I guess :)