PDA

View Full Version : My OSC entry for Ragnarok

Dr Bob
12-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Here's my latest entry for the KVR One Synth competition using only sounds made by the latest version of the synth Ragnarok recently announced on the Reaper main discussion board.

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctorbob-ragganory-osc70-ragnorak

Made with REAPER of course and only free plugins (so no Valhalla Room or Waves L3 etc etc!). A full list of the plugins used is in the entry description for those who may be interested.

Enjoy!

dB

Dr Bob
12-12-2014, 10:04 AM
The final track used 27 instances of Ragnarok on 27 REAPER tracks, 16 were used to create the percussion sounds. The perc sounds were then sent to a drum buss and a cymbals buss for easier control of the levels of the different elements. The bussed sounds then went to a percussion reverb buss to add that room quality in. The bass track was doubled and the second track transposed 2 octaves and put onto a different instrument to help fill the mid range - not an obvious one until you mute it out - it does help in my opinion!

Yes, the percs could be further worked on - but like everything at this time of year, time is of the essence.

Final bit was a BootEQMkII on the master track for a general EQ tweak, and Limiter No.6 for final compression/limiting and peak control.

Oh yes, of course all tracks had ReaEQ on them - one of the best surgical EQ's in the free/DAW-based toolboxes.

Please feel free to comment on the Soundcloud track, and remember that Soundcloud transcodes on upload, and certainly squashes the dynamics on mine (you can D/L the track as a 320kbps mp3 for better reproduction if you wish)

The track is of course in the footsteps of other "classic" drBob OSC's - bucking the EDM/ambient styles - ho ho ho and Merry Xmas/Holidays to everyone.

Would be nice to hear from some fellow REAPERites - whether you like it or hate it.

dB