PDA

View Full Version : "un" - full album (electronica, ambient, lo-fi)

dub3000
12-10-2014, 06:01 PM
oh, hey there. it's been a while.

i made an album. it sounds like mid-90's era warp-records electronic/ambient. or maybe a bit like more recent noise/ambient like tim hecker, or the limbo soundtrack. or not, but that's what i've been listening to a lot. there's some drums on track 2, anyway.

https://danielarena.bandcamp.com/album/un
or streamable on google play https://play.google.com/music/m/B5ovhtqur3o5oz4mszjyxyckwma

hard deadlines are incredible at improving focus. in this case, i had a month to pull down my studio room to make space for an (at the time impending) newborn kid (i am typing this right now from the kitchen under heavy sleep deprivation).

a lot of the sounds on this are processed through home-made, broken dsp - some of this is built up from things i did a decade ago, hacked together and reprocessed. all midi/editing/mixing in reaper; wouldn't have been possible in this timeframe otherwise. tons of abuse of the reaper js fx, including some buggy weird plugins i've kept aside for myself.

happy to talk about sound design etc in there.

plugin-wise: epicverb valhallaroom valhallashimmer ambience vintagewarmer rea*
instr: diva monark quantum64 geist
js: floaty avocado paranoia some other secret tricks
lots of audio editing

hamish
12-10-2014, 06:45 PM
I've listened to the first four tracks so far. Very nice listen. Was that xoxos 'surface' phys mod drum on the first track?

P.S. Congrats on the arrival of your ankle-biter. I wrote some of my favourite music with my 18 month old literally hanging off my arm while I played guitar. It's character building.

sammydix
12-10-2014, 08:50 PM
*really* liked un. kinda cool to hear ambient music that's not slow, static drones. this has movement throughout. good soundtrack to chill and and just 'think.'

dub3000
12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I've listened to the first four tracks so far. Very nice listen. Was that xoxos 'surface' phys mod drum on the first track?

no - just some vintage drum samples (808 etc) with very short envelopes in geist, run through the sweepinglowpass js effect with a really long envelope. i used that trick all over for movement.

dub3000
12-10-2014, 09:10 PM
*really* liked un. kinda cool to hear ambient music that's not slow, static drones. this has movement throughout. good soundtrack to chill and and just 'think.'

thanks!

a lot of the sounds are really short cuts from 4-track/looper demos from years ago, run through 10-20 sec reverbs - so it ends up sounding pretty synthetic but still has a lot of air.

pretty happy with how it came out.

Feverdreamer
12-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm on the second track. Will listen to more later. I like it. I like hearing broken things.

Nice work.

kevischperl
12-11-2014, 12:08 AM
11-02 is a thing of beauty. really, there are no words. can I be honest and say I wept? I did.

sinkmusic
12-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Nice, thank you for sharing :)

dub3000
12-11-2014, 12:49 AM
11-02 is a thing of beauty. really, there are no words. can I be honest and say I wept? I did.

Thank you, thanks so much.

m5blackmond
12-11-2014, 09:28 AM
I listened to a few tracks last night. I really enjoyed it, but I was also pretty stoned (correlation, i'm sure ;) )

bluetinstar
12-11-2014, 02:28 PM
SPLENDID !!! Loved it !!
Thankyou for sharing...........

Fred

dub3000
12-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Cheers, thanks again for the wonderful feedback.