PDA

View Full Version : 900 Miles from My Home

Tale
01-01-2015, 03:59 PM
I was listening to "900 Miles from My Home" from The Basement Tapes by Bob Dylan & The Band the other day. For some reason Garth Hudson is not playing organ on that song, so I thought I'd lay down my own organ track (using VOX V through VB3's Leslie). And after that I thought, why not play some other tracks as well (bass, guitar, ukelele, harmonica, vocals, drums), so to cut a long story short, here is my own version:

Vocal mix: http://www.taletn.com/temp/20150104-900_Miles_from_My_Home.mp3
Organ mix: http://www.taletn.com/temp/20150104-900_Miles_from_My_Home_organ_mix.mp3

hamish
01-02-2015, 03:53 AM
Lovely soulful rendition. I like the buried vocals with the reverb 'splash' here and there. Only thing I could suggest mixwise is to send the uke back in the mix with 'proximity' (the plugin by vlad/TDR ). Or just add early reflections with some other plugin like silver spike room machine.

Tale
01-02-2015, 05:38 AM
Lovely soulful rendition. I like the buried vocals with the reverb 'splash' here and there.
Thanks.

Only thing I could suggest mixwise is to send the uke back in the mix with 'proximity' (the plugin by vlad/TDR ). Or just add early reflections with some other plugin like silver spike room machine.
The ukelele already has fake stereo (LOSER/3BandSplitter > 3 x Utility/volume_pan > LOSER/3BandJoiner), but I will try Proximity, thanks for the suggestion.

Tale
01-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Here is a updated version [see OP], with renewed vocals, and Proximity on the ukelele.

EDIT: And yet another update (less compression and reverb on vocals). And an instrumental mix, because I love that old organ sound.

Tale
01-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Updated yet again (in OP), this time added subtle dynamics to ukelele, and tweaked drums mute in organ mix; I guess I could do this all day. :p

whiteaxxxe
01-04-2015, 12:36 PM
... but you are not going to make a complete remake of "The Basement Tapes"? (which I find more cough cough btw ...)

if you do, after listening to your first attempt - which pretty nailed the thing - I am sure, I will like that version then much more than the Mr. Zimmermann version. :-)

Tale
01-04-2015, 01:43 PM
... but you are not going to make a complete remake of "The Basement Tapes"? (which I find more cough cough btw ...)

if you do, after listening to your first attempt - which pretty nailed the thing - I am sure, I will like that version then much more than the Mr. Zimmermann version. :-)
Thanks, hehe... Yeah well, that would be quite a project, especially on my own (I don't have exactly have The band to back me up!). I would like to record a couple of other Basement Tapes songs though, e.g. "Spanish is The Loving Tongue". And I have recorded an instrumental version of "Bonnie Ship The Diamond (http://www.martinic.com/combov/Bonnie_Ship_The_Diamond.mp3)" a while back.

hamish
01-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Nice work! The organ version is really cool :cool:, outro tonebar (and rotary spin) adjustments sound sweet.