PDA

View Full Version : ClosingTimeForever - morgon and me

Jorgen
01-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Here's where we're at with this baby, morgon and me. Anything you'd like to comment on, you're welcome. I certainly hope I got the grammar right and stuff - I may do some more voice work, idk... but I hope this is the last demo-mix... :D

https://soundcloud.com/jorgensandberg/closingtimeforever-mp31411106

zeekat
01-08-2015, 01:53 PM
It's that Bowie tune of yours I totally forgot about! Quality, excellent work on both sides. Bubbly spacey synths are brill - although that loud sweepy thing about 2:50 is out of place in its loudness.

But seriously sounds lush. Smashing tasty lead guitar.

msundh
01-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Great song. Some beatles vibes as well. Nice work!

kindafishy
01-08-2015, 03:16 PM
I think this is absolutely wonderful.

The detail, care and craftsmanship put into this song are apparent from the first note to the last. The talent is also very much on display for all to see.

Agree that the part around 2:50 is a bit out of control. It is really the only blemish in an otherwise outstanding sounding and nicely balanced production. It may be for effect and done on purpose, but if so, it is a bit overboard and sticking out as if it is unintentional. Automation will fix this up nicely.

I may have made different mix choices and featured things a little bit differently, but I cannot fault your sensibilities here, at all.

Great!

flickervetigo
01-08-2015, 03:50 PM
you got me interested with the remark about the baby, the mom and you... I was wondering, "what's that got to do with any kind of closing ime?" ...leonard Cohen's "closing time" being one of my all-time favorite songs...

...so I listened real careful to the words a couple times and I still don't know what ou're driving at... too much trick stuff getting in the way of the vocal, I guess

it's a hell of a tune... it's rattling around in my head now, infectious... you posted it before, didn't you? ... it's memorable and instantly recognizable

Jorgen
01-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for your comments. Noted. And thanks for liking the song! My plan is to get a professional do the final mix, no problemo, and not that expensive, either... and mastering and such... that's really not my department. Others know it better.

Jorgen
01-08-2015, 04:09 PM
you got me interested with the remark about the baby, the mom and you... I was wondering, "what's that got to do with any kind of closing ime?" ...leonard Cohen's "closing time" being one of my all-time favorite songs...

...so I listened real careful to the words a couple times and I still don't know what ou're driving at... too much trick stuff getting in the way of the vocal, I guess

it's a hell of a tune... it's rattling around in my head now, infectious... you posted it before, didn't you? ... it's memorable and instantly recognizable

Well, I suppose I could change the title... any suggestions...? How about Forever In The Milky Way...? ... idk ...

flickervetigo
01-08-2015, 04:14 PM
..change the title... any suggestions...?

how can I suggest a title when I don't know what the song's about?

Jorgen
01-08-2015, 04:24 PM
how can I suggest a title when I don't know what the song's about?

It was a shot in the dark.

flickervetigo
01-08-2015, 04:36 PM
maybe there's only one reason for songwriters to exist...

that would be to give players and excuse to play... songwriters, a necessary evil

beats me

bladerunner
01-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Really great track Jorgen :) Very Bowie'ish which always makes it a winner in my book. Very well crafted and there's some great layering of guitars with synths. Like it a lot.

Jorgen
01-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Really great track Jorgen :) Very Bowie'ish which always makes it a winner in my book. Very well crafted and there's some great layering of guitars with synths. Like it a lot.

Thanks, blade... I listened to your house track... damn, it was loud... but clear and good.

flickervetigo
01-08-2015, 05:19 PM
there's a studio in the basement of the music store... the guy says, "yeah, it's protools and VSTs and hardly any out board stuff"

there's reacks and racks of outboard stuff... is that showbiz?

I ask him to play some stuff he's recorded there... sounds awful clen, like he's compressed the dogsh*t out of everything as it's going n

I ask him, "do you make a lving here?"

he says he does

he's obliged to praise bad music because his livelihood depends on it

these guys would come in... maybe they could play, maybe not... maybe they could sing a little, maybe listening to them was purgatory...

what are you gonna do? ... tell them they're crap when they're paying you to make them sound good?

what are yu goona do, when you need them to pay you so you can pay the rent and buy food?

bladerunner
01-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks, blade... I listened to your house track... damn, it was loud... but clear and good.

Thanks :) It was for a client - so not my track - but yes, it is loud. Always a trade off with dynamics at that level of loudness but it's expected of that style so you just have to do your best to preserve the punch.

flickervetigo
01-08-2015, 06:03 PM
gifted... from a musical family... he could play "yankee doodle" and "dxie" simultaneously

...married to an upright bass player that wiggled when she played

he was convicted of molesting a cousin and she came over to get even

neither of them seemed to have the slightest inclination to record anything

maybe music is like breathing to some people... maybe it's so basic they don't need to record

flickervetigo
01-08-2015, 06:17 PM
they're neighbors... the guitar player and the bass player that wiggles..

I pass out tapes to the neighbors... hoping they'll fogive me...?

...for what?

she says her kids get up in the morning singing "forty buck bag"

maybe they do

Jorgen
01-09-2015, 08:30 AM
"forty buck bag"
Hm, rings a bell... what is that?

Edit - nevermind, hehehe...

Cosmic
01-09-2015, 08:37 AM
OMG

This is great

I have to say..the mix is absolutely marvellous!

Thats a 100% brilliant production.

Theres no way anyone could think this wasnt done in a fancy studio

Jorgen
01-09-2015, 09:45 AM
OMG

This is great

I have to say..the mix is absolutely marvellous!

Thats a 100% brilliant production.

Theres no way anyone could think this wasnt done in a fancy studio

Really? I've only heard it in cans. My monitors are too big for my ugly sounding room, and the "stereo" is long in the tooth by now, forgets what "stereo" is, makes ugly noises and such...

Thanks a ton! It's great fun twiddling the knobs and everything, but I prefer the singing and playing. I'm glad I know a few things about digital audio, but I don't think I will dig any deeper into it.

Garrick
01-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Hey Jorgen and morgon this is fantastic!
And a treat for any bowie fan with bits from width of a circle to up the hill backwards. Love the bvs

Jorgen
01-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Hello Garrick, thanks for stopping by... you know your part in this... btw, I listened to Rising Water the other day, several times... very nice song.

morgon
01-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Server issues, havent been able to post, its still not right...

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, means a lot, and Im to blame for that synth part at 2.50, didnt realize at the time it was the version and I overlooked it. Cheers all :)

Cosmic
01-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Really? I've only heard it in cans. My monitors are too big for my ugly sounding room, and the "stereo" is long in the tooth by now, forgets what "stereo" is, makes ugly noises and such...

Thanks a ton! It's great fun twiddling the knobs and everything, but I prefer the singing and playing. I'm glad I know a few things about digital audio, but I don't think I will dig any deeper into it.

Yeah man..I was listening on my rather nice "recreational" soundsystem.Proper nice Mission 8" speakers and Hi qwality Sony amp...and I had it loud.Sounds fucking brilliant

Jorgen
01-10-2015, 05:21 PM
That's great... I need something like that, too, some sweet sounding thing. These days, I rely on the cans, but that seems to work, too... well... Morgon has some hook-up problems with the grid, but is very happy with the reception. We got a cover cooking, too, could turn out pretty wild.