PDA

View Full Version : Chromatica

Timothy Lawler
02-10-2015, 01:32 PM
w3r5N3n_8KY

All comments appreciated.

hamish
02-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Hi Timothy, that is really lovely playing. I haven't commented on your pieces before now, but I have listened and enjoyed some very much.

The only thing I do find a bit disconcerting is the way the left guitar seems to abruptly pan over to the right at about the 0:30 mark.

At the beginning with the two parts panned mid L-R I liked the mix a lot better. Is it just the piece perhaps? Is that just one guitar from 30 sec onwards? Sure sounds like two.

Beside that though, nice recording quality with the tone and (low) noise level.

Timothy Lawler
02-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Thanks hamish.

The panning imbalance... I hear you. Unfortunately the mikes weren't positioned in a way that left much in the way of mixing options to balance the levels of the guitars (one played more softly than the other after :30), and it was a one-take kind of thing.

mschuster
02-11-2015, 09:42 AM
As always, very nice Tim!

Jorgen
02-11-2015, 10:59 AM
I find the harmonies intriguing, modern... you wrote this piece? Interesting.

tspring
02-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Wonderful musicianship, beautiful tonality, harmonically complex. The composition reminds me of some of Leo Brouwer's more abstract works like "Cuban Landscape With Rain". What you have recorded here begs to be a part of a longer composition.

Timothy Lawler
02-12-2015, 06:53 PM
As always, very nice Tim!Hey Mark, how's it going? Thanks for commenting.

Timothy Lawler
02-12-2015, 06:54 PM
I find the harmonies intriguing, modern... you wrote this piece? Interesting.Thanks Jorgen. We composed it, loosely, just before we played it and then improvised a bit as well.

Timothy Lawler
02-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Wonderful musicianship, beautiful tonality, harmonically complex. The composition reminds me of some of Leo Brouwer's more abstract works like "Cuban Landscape With Rain". What you have recorded here begs to be a part of a longer composition.Thanks a lot, tspring. I had just recently finished editing some Brouwer recordings that Paul, the other guitarist, had done, so Brouwer's music was actually in the back of my mind at the time. As far as a longer composition, maybe there'll be a no.7 to add to it.

Jorgen
02-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks Jorgen. We composed it, loosely, just before we played it and then improvised a bit as well.
Alright, I see, that's really cool... I wouldn't mind hearing it a bit more rehearsed...imho. And what a second part/movement could come up with. The material is very interesting - don't leave it, do some more work - I'd love to hear it.

Timothy Lawler
02-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Alright, I see, that's really cool... I wouldn't mind hearing it a bit more rehearsed...imho. And what a second part/movement could come up with. The material is very interesting - don't leave it, do some more work - I'd love to hear it.Thank you, Jorgen. I'll work on it... the specific piece and my composition process generally. That it's musically interesting is good to hear.

Thanks to all in the thread.