PDA

View Full Version : Mini Jazzy-Jam

ReaperMadness
02-15-2015, 01:51 PM
I did this a little while ago. It's a very short little jazzy-jam.

Recently I started working on extending it a bit - adding a bridge and a pt. B. I'll shoot up the extended version when it's ready.

flickervetigo
02-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Aaaaahhhhhhhh...

I'm healed

viscofisy
02-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Nice one cap'n.

I already know playin is your thing, but did you ever write lyrics?

Mink99
02-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Find my comment on sc, love that tune ...

ReaperMadness
02-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Aaaaahhhhhhhh...

I'm healed

Glad you found it to have healing properties, Flick. Who knew?

'n Thanks.

bluetinstar
02-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Nice !!
Looking forward to the 'extended version'...

Fred

leecow
02-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Very nice!

innuendo
02-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Very very nice!!! Too short!

ReaperMadness
02-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Very very nice!!! Too short!

That's what she said...

Thanks innuendo.

ReaperMadness
02-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Nice one cap'n.

I already know playin is your thing, but did you ever write lyrics?

Thanks, Visco'.

Yup, I used to write lyrics. Gave it up a while ago, though.

It's been... Oh shit - it's been 30 years! How did that happen?

I like the word play - the inside rhymes and double edged meanings - but being that my voice ain't the greatest, combined with the recluse I've become (doin' it all myself), I don't use the stuff (lyrics) anymore, concentrating on my music.

flickervetigo
02-16-2015, 10:09 PM
you should sing to us

ReaperMadness
02-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Yes I shouldn't.

flickervetigo
02-16-2015, 10:21 PM
the problem is... if your lyrics and delivery measure up to your keyboard playing, arranging and mixing, you can sing as bad as bob Dylan or phil ochs and stil be...... I don't know... contributing?

I think I liked the first posted version of Feb Flip better

ReaperMadness
02-16-2015, 10:31 PM
I think I liked the first posted version of Feb Flip better

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

flickervetigo
02-16-2015, 10:33 PM
thought the first version, he bass was centered

flickervetigo
02-16-2015, 10:53 PM
... but I got to admit I have never before clicked on a forum user name --any forum-- and wound up at a bing seach of my cockos forum password

no matches... what's a comfort

flickervetigo
02-16-2015, 11:06 PM
another little anomaly that makes the internet such an effective tool

flickervetigo
02-16-2015, 11:36 PM
I go past pretty often, say "hi" to the dogs in the yard

in the spring, sometimes she's is out there, and we talk

she's a rawboned slim woman who might be beautiful if she weren't so weathered

she says, "the internet is trash"

how does she know?

ReaperMadness
02-17-2015, 09:37 AM
thought the first version, he bass was centered

Details, please. There has been just one version.

flickervetigo
02-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Details, please...

the easiest thing to do is assume I'm going intermittently deaf in my left ear and I'm batsh*t crazy, too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmtQvrWUps)

so that's what i'll do

flickervetigo
02-17-2015, 10:19 AM
there's a great big hole in the middle of this... (https://soundcloud.com/wadosy/left-hehindblues)

wanta put a tinkly little piano in there?

viscofisy
02-17-2015, 12:23 PM
I'm looking forward to the updated version with bridge and B part.

I might need to learn more about counting beats properly, it's my weakest area.

That and creating interesting basslines to improvise over.

I'm assuming it's in a minor key, and that the snare hits are on the even beats.
I don't often listen to jazz, but I like jazz rhythms, so how to go about counting it confused me slightly.
Would you count it in 4/4, with the first bass note on the "1"?

You must be thinking I'm a bit daft:D - but I'm coming from a folk/trad and punk perspective on music where there's not much syncopation, and most stuff is in 4/4 or 6/4 or 3/4.

Sorry to divert your thread a bit, but I'm interested in your stuff and in syncopation etc, so your tune has come along at the right time for me.

p.s. - your blues tune interested me because it wasn't predictable lines with "nice" harmonies - and that's another area that I have to work on (without drifting into obscure formlessness).

Hopefully that all makes sense.
I could have written it better, but I'm off to the shop before it shuts :)

ReaperMadness
02-17-2015, 02:55 PM
there's a great big hole in the middle of this... (https://soundcloud.com/wadosy/left-hehindblues)

wanta put a tinkly little piano in there?

No.

I see it more as needing a tex-mex accordian/squeezebox accompaniment.

N' how 'zactly is this adding of trax by others performed (I don't expect you're sending reel-to-reels back & forth).

I noticed all of your SC stuff is downloadable.

Not sayin' anything for sure - but what if someone wanted to get in on the fun? How would this someone go about it?

NKB
02-17-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm not going to jump on the consensus here. Underneath this track somewhere there may be some kind of potential but as it is it sounds disjointed to me, and not in a jazzy improvised way but in a way that sounds like not having a feel for jazz. The drums lack feeling and the trumpet, though played interestingly, sounds too synthetic to me. The bass starts off ok for about the first two bars of it but as it continues to repeat that same motif it just gets tiring. Mix-wise it's fine though for what it is. I would be very interested to hear what you end up with in the extended version. My suggestion though is to breath more organic life into it and don't rely too much on what sounds like a bass loop there. If it's going to be jazz then let it really be jazz and not a simulacrum of it.

flickervetigo
02-17-2015, 03:22 PM
I noticed all of your SC stuff is downloadable.

but what if someone wanted to get in on the fun?

yeah, most of my SC stuff is downloadable, but it took me a while to figure out how to do it when SC switched their layout, so those songs (uploaded before I figured it out) are not downloadable

I spose making the stuff dowloadable is a teaser, although you can take the audio from your compter and record it in reaper and the quality is good enough to work with if all you want to do is add tracks

I'm planning on posting the words, chords, and stems when I'm not so hungover

morgon
02-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Really good RM, well done. Maybe theres something to NKBs critique a couple posts back, idk but its also an enjoyable tune as it is imo, yes worthy of a longer version with a bridge, cheers

ReaperMadness
02-17-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm looking forward to the updated version with bridge and B part.

I might need to learn more about counting beats properly, it's my weakest area.

That and creating interesting basslines to improvise over.

I'm assuming it's in a minor key, and that the snare hits are on the even beats.
I don't often listen to jazz, but I like jazz rhythms, so how to go about counting it confused me slightly.
Would you count it in 4/4, with the first bass note on the "1"?

You must be thinking I'm a bit daft:D - but I'm coming from a folk/trad and punk perspective on music where there's not much syncopation, and most stuff is in 4/4 or 6/4 or 3/4.

Sorry to divert your thread a bit, but I'm interested in your stuff and in syncopation etc, so your tune has come along at the right time for me.

p.s. - your blues tune interested me because it wasn't predictable lines with "nice" harmonies - and that's another area that I have to work on (without drifting into obscure formlessness).

Hopefully that all makes sense.
I could have written it better, but I'm off to the shop before it shuts :)

Visco - Thanks for listening and thanks for your interest.

Bass does start on the 1.

Tune is in 4/4 @ 90bpm.

Tune is in G minor.

And I do think you may be a bit daft - that's why I answered so quickly. I don't want you to get agitated. http://www.cloudynights.com/public/style_emoticons/default/Eyecrazy.gif

ReaperMadness
02-17-2015, 09:40 PM
Morgon - Glad you got some enjoyment out of it.

Thanks for checkin' in and checkin' it out.

viscofisy
02-18-2015, 11:54 AM
And I do think you may be a bit daft - that's why I answered so quickly. I don't want you to get agitated. http://www.cloudynights.com/public/style_emoticons/default/Eyecrazy.gif:D

78b67l_yxUc

I'll calmly keep an eye out for any updates.

sammydix
02-18-2015, 05:48 PM
where are you in this, RM, as in what do you play? is it loops? whatever, this is one big ass bold mix.

ReaperMadness
02-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Sammy - I play keyboard (Can't you hear the keyboard in there?).

And nope... no loops – ‘don’t believe in 'em. Just an old keyboard player, his 10 old fingers and his old keyboard controller.

Thanks for the compliments on my mix.
I like big ass and I cannot lie…
I mean, since there’s just four instruments - I’ll take ‘big ass bold’ as a compliment, anyways.

sammydix
02-18-2015, 09:54 PM
it was.
i couldn't think of any other words and that was the first phrase that came to me.