PDA

View Full Version : JS Amp models... just poor?

susbemol
12-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Hi,

Is it just me or the JS Amp models are not really that great sounding? I normally record my real little valve amp anyway but sometimes you just want to plug in and play (when it's late at night, can't be bothered with all the hardware, etc). Whenever I tried the JS Amp Models they all just sounded sort of middle gain-ish with not much character. I mean, when I compare them to Simulanalog's, Nick Crow's and other cool free stuff, there is no comparison.

So, I just wanted to hear from you guys in case I'm completely missing the point here. If anybody has any sound clips they would like to post here, that would be even better.

susbemol
12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
C'mon, boys!? Over a 100 views and not a single reply? Does anybody else feel the same or otherwise?

JasonTheron
12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I haven't really experimented with these enough to give an opinion one way or another.
I've been using Studio Devil BVC from JBM's recommendation.

In my experience, nothing beats a real amp, a real mic, and a real player in a real room.

Especially if the dude is playing a Bolin through a Sunn Model-T!

susbemol
12-11-2007, 12:13 PM
In my experience, nothing beats a real amp, a real mic, and a real player in a real room.

Which is what I do when it's for real, as stated above.

The question regarding the JS amp models is more about whether anybody is using it for "their real deal" as opposed to other free amp modelling plugins, such as the Simulanalog Suite, Studio Devil, Wagner Sharp, etc., which I know some people use.

JasonTheron
12-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Which is what I do when it's for real, as stated above.

The question regarding the JS amp models is more about whether anybody is using it for "their real deal" as opposed to other free amp modelling plugins, such as the Simulanalog Suite, Studio Devil, Wagner Sharp, etc., which I know some people use.

Like, I said, not much experience.
But I can definitely say that I would choose Studio Devil over the JS amp sims, at this point.
Hope that answers it for you.

mahasandi
12-11-2007, 12:28 PM
I've barely used them.

But when I poked around they were

Interesting to me but not "holy crap"

Like some of the JS stuff is top notch.

Again I'll have to play around more.

I think though until convolution is dynamic I.e.

Like when samplers went multi velocity samples

They really stepped up the realism.

In the same way multi level covolution is the key

To more realism from all emulations as it is

Besides reverb which works realistically as is.

Convolution needs this upgrade.

beatbybit
12-11-2007, 12:34 PM
you should give Gsuite a try:

http://www.simulanalog.org/GSuite.zip

i think the JCM900 model is nice.

mahasandi
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
To be clear I don't like any amp sims at all
and the JS are nice among those I've heard.

In some way its like conveinence has
to fail , I mean with all options available
just record the amp!

Ok I know ymmv.....

pipelineaudio
12-11-2007, 01:14 PM
The cabs themselves seem fine to me, its the distortion circuit that I don't like so much

Im surprised noone has created a better preamp model in JS yet...nudge nudge nudge

manning1
12-11-2007, 04:47 PM
actually there are some triks to try with the js amp sims.
rather than use em "neked".
me on pension thus i experiment a lot with "wot i got".
1. record a mic'd guitar amp.
copy it to a new trak. insert Js on new trak then experiment with it in conjunction with original track.
also try adding other js fx or other plugs you have like chorus/flange/phaseing.
Dr schmidt has some interesting fx also.
2. in conjunction with above nowinsert "freeamp"
into a new cloned trak, and mix in freeamp plus js cab plus original guitar trak.

sometimes ive "got luky" with something interesting
occurring. but..one mustbe preparedto spend hours experimenting wuth these sorts of set ups.
another option instead of useing a mic'd guitar amp is say to use a zoom pedal for example with some amp sims in it or a pod...
dupe the recorded trak once again or triple dupe it , then
experiment with freeamp once again in conjunction with the js cabs and/or the freeamp.

in summary if one is willing to spend the time.....
one can get some interesting sounds.
i should say its very hit n miss....just gotta be willing to spend time. also ive found stacking/panning triks can also help as well as eq'ing.

Finnish
12-12-2007, 02:48 AM
I did an experiment with JS Amp model, with non topboost Vox.

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/60831/Nauhakaiku%20ja%20test.mp3

Stratocaster -> MBox -> Reaper, plugs: Roland Space Echo - ReaComp - JS Amp model - Voxengo Boogex

Me likes, a bit dark but still that's the sound that I'm usually after, on stage and demos

susbemol
12-12-2007, 03:50 AM
Thanks for your replies, guys. I think this could turn out to be a very interesting discussion.

The cabs themselves seem fine to me, its the distortion circuit that I don't like so much

Im surprised noone has created a better preamp model in JS yet...nudge nudge nudge

Same here... with all these other quality JS stuff, I just thought somebody's probably gonna do it (if it hasn't already been done)?!

1. record a mic'd guitar amp.

I think that already beats the whole purporse of this thread?

I did an experiment with JS Amp model, with non topboost Vox.

Stratocaster -> MBox -> Reaper, plugs: Roland Space Echo - ReaComp - JS Amp model - Voxengo Boogex

Not bad, but I am wondering how much the Boogex + other plugs have changed the JS Amp's actual sound? I reckon tests with just the JS Amp Models + Cabs would tell us more about the JS Amps. I will try and do a test when I get a chance (really busy with lots of other stuff at home at the mo).

Finnish
12-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Not bad, but I am wondering how much the Boogex + other plugs have changed the JS Amp's actual sound? I reckon tests with just the JS Amp Models + Cabs would tell us more about the JS Amps. I will try and do a test when I get a chance (really busy with lots of other stuff at home at the mo).

Space Echo and ReaComp had a really subtle influence on sound, Boogex changed the sound a lot. For clean sound JS + Boogex is a killer combination

pipelineaudio
12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
If you stick the Juicy 77 in front of JS Guitar Amp Model with the cab off on Juicy 77 you can get a wide range of useable stuff, that seems to tell me we need a preamp model

GET CRACKALATING!

or else

Maybe we should post links to tube sims in SPICE or something

susbemol
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Sometimes that makes me wonder, ya know... what were the JS Amp Models originally designed for? Were they meant to be Amp Models (as the name suggests)? If that is the case, they have very, very limited controls compared to a real amp or in fact most amp sims out there.

How are they intended to be used? IMHO, clearly not on their own...?

pipelineaudio
12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
They seem to be cab and power amp impulses (though its probably going clean thru the preamp circuitry)

susbemol
12-15-2007, 05:28 PM
So, here's some stuff with sound samples of both JS Amp Models and other free guitar amp modelling stuff. Not sure that this helps anybody make any conclusions, but hey it's saturday and the footie has just finished. :D

These are all the same guitar input going through the different amp sims as listed below. After the amp I inserted a Fender Bassman impulse loaded with KeFir and there is also a touch of Reverb. No EQ or anything else.

JS Fender Bassman:
http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/62421/JS%20FENDER%20Bassman.mp3

JS Dumble Overdrive:
http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/62452/JS%20Dumble%20Overdrive.mp3

Simulanalog Fender:
http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/62454/Simulanalog%20FENDER.mp3

Dirthead (clean channel):
http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/62456/DIRTHEAD%20Clean.mp3

These are all clean sounds as you can't really get much distortion from the JS Amp Models unless you're going to use other preamps or something else before it. Here is a DIRTY example of Nick Crow's Wagner Tube Preamp:

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/62458/Wagner%20Tube%20Preamp%20Test.mp3

Justin
12-15-2007, 11:24 PM
the js amp models are purely linear, only affecting frequency and phase response... generally you should use em with other distortions effects etc..

RunBeerRun
12-19-2007, 07:04 PM
I love the Jesusonic amp models, always have. Clear and no air-modeling.