PDA

View Full Version : New Indaba mixing contest

paulheu
03-18-2016, 05:13 PM
https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/puremix-mixing-competition/details

hamish
03-19-2016, 03:09 AM
Really can't understand the drum sound on that one. Then you can't use samples, so I'm out.

Vocal recordings sound rather nice though.

sammydix
03-19-2016, 05:15 PM
If you mean drum replacement samples, the guy that runs the contest said "yes, you can." He considered it part of the mixing for those that wanted to do that, but no other type samples or additions.

hamish
03-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Ahh, so now I have no excuse? :D

Are you doing it sammydix?

sammydix
03-19-2016, 06:43 PM
You have none!
Kindafishy told me about the contest, so I went over and read up on it. I'll prob give it a try.

Rusty Falcon
03-19-2016, 09:23 PM
If you mean drum replacement samples, the guy that runs the contest said "yes, you can." He considered it part of the mixing for those that wanted to do that, but no other type samples or additions.

Got a link to where they said that?

sammydix
03-19-2016, 10:16 PM
https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/puremix-mixing-competition/discussion
You'll simply have to scroll through the comments to find it. But here's the quote:

"Hi guys, Ben from pureMix here. In terms of sample replacing, if you think it helps you get a better mix go for it. The rules were meant to not treat this like a remix but just a mix (which we know sometimes requires sample replacement on the drums). Hope that helps clarify!"

Rusty Falcon
03-20-2016, 04:37 AM
Cool thanks! Kick seems fine but the snare could use some sample love

sisaso
03-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Crap song. No talent at all. Don't waste your time.

g4greg
03-20-2016, 09:07 AM
boy does this song reek of pitch correction...

Are the vocal stems "corrected"?

Caus if they are, it's kind of like trying to put more make up on a girl who already has tons of ugly and poorly chosen stuff on her face..

They said we could use sample replacement for the drums... do you think we can do the same for vocals?

Sammy and I are available ;)

sammydix
03-20-2016, 09:38 AM
boy does this song reek of pitch correction...

Are the vocal stems "corrected"?

Caus if they are, it's kind of like trying to put more make up on a girl who already has tons of ugly and poorly chosen stuff on her face..

They said we could use sample replacement for the drums... do you think we can do the same for vocals?

Sammy and I are available ;)

Not for this song I'm not. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. It's just "an ok song to mix." Tolerable and not EDM.

I didn't know you sang. For some reason I thought vox on your songs were someone else. Now I gotta go look for some of your prev post to listen again...

EDIT: You sound like a slick Bryan Ferry!

g4greg
03-20-2016, 05:08 PM
Not for this song I'm not. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. It's just "an ok song to mix." Tolerable and not EDM.

I didn't know you sang. For some reason I thought vox on your songs were someone else. Now I gotta go look for some of your prev post to listen again...

EDIT: You sound like a slick Bryan Ferry!

Oh, the song isn't that bad in itself... as you said, it's tolerable...simple, easy to digest "heavy" rock for the the young masses out there.

But the way engineers use pitch correction to death, on every single singer they get their hands on really makes me cringe. There's a huge difference between correcting one or two bum notes the singer couldn't nail, and slapping an automatic (and really bad) pitch correction on ALL the vocals... So how good the guy really is? can the guy hold a tune, or... OK, rant over :)

Thanks man, You're an incredible singer, so getting praise from you is very flattering. Brian Ferry eh? LOL that doesn't make me any younger *)