PDA

View Full Version : opinion/mix critique?

Hazzard
03-29-2016, 10:11 PM
please listen to this tune I crafted. I cannot mix to save my life...I've read about 5 books on the subject (big 300 page ones)..don't know what is not clicking for me.
Please critique and tell me if you can tell what I'm doing wrong?

I use a DD-65 for drums and not midi (I record it on a single track then double it) and yes I suck at drums but i'm learning
everything else is done through a mobile-pre, guitar bass and vocals. about a total of 12 tracks
Please let me know why it sounds like garbage.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=46215816379510649825

foxAsteria
03-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Well mixing is an art. You learn it by doing it, not by reading about it. Just takes a lot of practice to get good at. Listening to the track, I don't think the mixing is necessarily bad. Everything is decently separated.

But the drum sounds are pretty horrid and off beat though and pretty much ruin the track. I can't tell if anything else is in time, because they certain are not. Are you recording to a metronome? If you do, the grid will help you get things lined up and working together.

If I'm being totally honest, I'd say you just need to focus more on recording good sounds and good performances, rather than trying to "fix it in the mix." The better the recordings, the less mixing you will need to do. You're voice sounds fine, but the song's kind of a mess. What amp sims are you using? I could recommend a few freebies that will sound a hell of a lot better if you want...

Sorry if I'm being too harsh. Please don't be discouraged. Just keep writing and recording. You'll get better each time.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Hazzard
03-31-2016, 01:51 AM
please do give me some amp sims...I have no idea how to make the guitars pop..that'd be much appreciated. Also I do lots of mix practicing...I just don't know what specifically I need to fix..and I don't get "fix it in the mix". I record straight through. I don't know if it's better to add effects/sims/plugins post recording or live. I do practice to a metronome too it's just that I picked up drums like barely 5 months ago. I'm not sure what you mean by do better takes I do everything in the box so I don't know how to do a better take (the drums of course will always need work since that's my newest instrument)other than what is in time.

haervo
03-31-2016, 02:02 AM
"fix it in the mix" means you try to make a good sound from recorded tracks that are really bad played.

Hazzard
03-31-2016, 02:32 AM
how many takes would you suggest I do? Should I split them in arranged sections or just full playthroughs is best?

Hazzard
03-31-2016, 02:34 AM
"fix it in the mix" means you try to make a good sound from recorded tracks that are really bad played.

I split them up and do about 3 takes and I guess (comp)try to get them to work.
I also do have cheap equipment except my mexican strat.

foxAsteria
03-31-2016, 11:18 AM
Ok here are a couple of my favorite free amp sims:

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm
http://www.studiodevil.com/products/british_valve_custom/
LePou makes some nice ones but you need to combine them with cabinet simulators and wave impulse files and that can get complicated. The above are straightforward and sound quite decent to me. I usually record direct and then tweak/switch the amp sounds later to suit the track. Most flexible that way.

Your guitars also had a lot of line noise on them, which could mean you were sitting too close to your monitor or that your cables are bad, etc.

And just a bunch of other great freebies organized by category:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

"Comping takes" is a common practice I do a lot as well. I usually record a section i want to improve looped (with the Menu Option: new recording that overlaps... > split...and create new takes) until I get a good one or three, then I splice together the best parts of each. Sometimes I'll comp solos and I'm always comping vocals (because I suck at them), which means splitting the takes in quiet spots and picking just the best little 'bits' to then glue together into one. I recommend not using take "lanes," as the splits can get very confusing visually. Better to just keep the takes you're not hearing hidden. Check terms in the user guide if you're confused.

"Fix it in the mix" doesn't necessarily refer to a bad performance, but also a bad recording, with lots of noise or just bad sound, which you end up spending a disproportionate amount of time trying to make sound good.

If you're playing drums too sloppy, they won't quantize well either, because Reaper will just move the hits to the nearest grid line, and that won't always be were you wanted them. It ends up sounding worse. Maybe try recording the drums one element at a time and then do some comping.

You should def read through this thread, mainly just the posts by Yep: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283 Classic thread with pretty excellent advice in there.

Good luck man, have fun!