PDA

View Full Version : my first recording in many years

transmothra
04-05-2016, 01:05 AM
I've been away from music for a long time, for a number of reasons, but i just recently got back into it, and have finally started recording an old song i wrote. I'm using Reaper. It's not totally finished just yet, but i was wanting some feedback re: my current working mix. All i have are some Roland DM-10 monitors and AKG K-44 cans, and i just can't make out any bass with any degree of accuracy, so i suspect it sounds pretty awful in that regard. Maybe it's too trebly too.

Any feedback would be extremely welcome and appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/transmothra/like-we-are-working-mix-8

(there are previous stabs at a rough mix on my SoundCloud page)

OPI
04-05-2016, 05:38 AM
Hey, cool tune! The vocals are just about awesome. But, they do seem to move in and out of its sweet spot. If your already compressing the vocal try some volume automation. Although, I Never mixed acoustic stuff before so I can't really give realistic pointers. Really great song dude!

Rossignolmusic
04-05-2016, 06:12 AM
Cool stuff, I like!

In the first verse, it seems like the you could turn up the vocals a bit. Also, you could generelly scoop the guitars - just a really tiny bit, maybe 2 dB around 1-2 khz. Not that it sounds nasty, but this will help to let the vocals come through.

Also, I think, the snare could be a little smoothed out by pulling down the eq at 1 khz. A little more variation in the MIDI pattern would also be pleasing :)

I like your youse of reverbs and delay, really cool. Bass and vocals sound good as well! Not a lot happening in the bottom range in general, but that is very fitting. On my system, it sounds fine, bass-wise.

sammydix
04-05-2016, 06:26 AM
Another vote for vocals up. There may be some masking from the guitars, but even if fixed, I think they can still come up some. The side guitars seemed to dominate the mix to me. So as ross said, they could be tamed a little. Not a huge fan of the verb, but that's a personal thing and artistically, that was prob exactly what you were going for.

msundh
04-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Agree with the others. Vocals are NOT shitty;) and could it be louder.
Great song by the way.

transmothra
04-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Wow - thanks for the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it. I will work on the mix a little more tonight and see if i can get it sounding better. Thank you!

transmothra
04-06-2016, 01:35 AM
Is this any better? I hope i'm not sliding backward into horrible sibilance.

https://soundcloud.com/transmothra/like-we-are-working-mix-9

sammydix
04-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Guitars sound a bit more tamed but I still think the vocals in the chorus could come up just a hair. But better overall balance to this version.

BCF1
04-07-2016, 02:48 AM
First off, I like the song, really quite cool. Not a style I have a lot of exposure to but it works for me, lyrics and melody are great !
Guitars IMO aren't right, kinda distracting not sure why. The tone ? I want to say they should be tightened up a bit without knowing what that means. After listening to your song the Posies started playing I could hear that guitar sound working for ya with your reverby stuff going I think that would float the boat. Since I can't tell you how to arrive there I'll stop typo babbling and say ......very cool song ........look forward to hearing it again when completed.

mschuster
04-07-2016, 07:56 AM
indeed a cool song!! i really like this. Gosh, i hear a little Robin Zander in there every now and then. I don't say that very often!

i second the comment vocals should come up and have a little more presence added to rise above the other instruments. just a touch would do wonders.

welcome back to recording! i look forward to hearing more from you!

mark

msore
04-07-2016, 09:00 AM
I like it too. I liked it when the keys came in at about 4.20, but the ending was stretched out too long. Here is a comment/question you might consider. I hear the arrangement as garage/rockBand stuff, but I hear the song's composition, lyrics and vocal melody as more arty/folky. That seems to be something of a mismatch to my ear. Just a thought. Thanks for sharing.

lanceaustin
04-08-2016, 12:13 AM
What a killer voice! This is a pretty unconventional song. Some of my suggestions would be from a 'commercial' point of view. Specifically, to come up with parts vs. strumming. Of course, this may not apply bc this song's raison d'etre is to be unconventional, which is a good thing.

Having said that, in a couple spots the lyrics become pretty straightforward & sentimental; might want to find some quirky, indirect substitutions.

Others have mentioned the reverb- I wonder if they're picturing a cleaner sound for the guitar strum?

I like and appreciate the song's spirit of adventure. I hear the replacements, nirvana for about a second... keep it up!

Rossignolmusic
04-08-2016, 04:10 AM
Honestly, i liked #8 a little better. The entry point of the vocals at 0:22 is crucial. Shortly before, you could back off the guitars with level automation a little. When the vocals kick in, they should be clearly audible, not "just another thing coming up" (not intending to be insulting, it's a great song for sure!).

The mix is not bad at all, but it still could be a little better, I think. We humans are just too sensible to the voice... when it seems to be too quite in a song, it's always distracting. I know from my own recordings that I tend to mix it too low when I sing.

There is a lot happening in the mid range. The bass is now a tad too lout, I think. The vocals are fighting with the guitars, snare and bass. The mid-heavy guitar tone fits the 90s style perfectly, but it just takes too much space in the crucial frequencies.

My approach would be to lower the bass a little and to pull back some mids of the guitars and the snare. I'm not thinking about changing the whole sounds, rather nuances, but I think the mix would benefit from that.