PDA

View Full Version : Kinda funky, kinda jazzy, kinda rock sort of thing

sammydix
04-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Hey guys. It's been forever, but I finally wrote a new tune and got some help from friends to play on it. Sort of funkrock with jazz touches.

The bass, believe it or not, is samples.
Kindafishy helped me out with the wah guitar and the chorus section guitars.
Stan Gaziola: leads and verb guitars.
Me: all other panned guitars, AD proggin,"organ", rap, and authentic Plant vocals. hah!

It was sort of a rough mix to put together, so please let me know how I did.

https://soundcloud.com/lsahlm/pull-up-yo-pants

msundh
04-08-2016, 03:59 PM
I usually dislike this kind of music, but this one got me.
I can't make up my mind what to think of the vocals.
It feels a bit indistinctive (that word probably doesn't exist but u get me?), too low , floating around or something. I'm allergic to low vocals:)
There was guitar pick in the first part that was a bit too high, other than that solid work as always.
Welcome back, you're missed!

sammydix
04-08-2016, 09:44 PM
I hear some voc parts that could prob be brought up, but low in general I'm not quite hearing, but of course, I can't be as objective. Thanks for letting me know man.

...and yeah, "indistinctive" is a word, but devolved to "indistinct."
Our grammar lesson for the day. :)

OPI
04-08-2016, 09:55 PM
I enojed it very much. Its got a tad of a gorillaz vibe to it. For the mix, got no clue!

morgon
04-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Kinda Pink Floydish as well imo, the Strat sound is very Floydlike, atmospheric, another fine song, cheers.

BCF1
04-08-2016, 11:41 PM
This has a Cool Ass, Stoned while drinking Mateus Rosť and enjoying the fat buzz the combo could offer up kinda vibe to it............Of course I've never smoked reefer or drank cheap wine but from what I've been told and had described to me ..................

Anyway sounds great Sammy !! I somewhat get what msundh was saying about the voc's being indistinctive. To me that's part of the style and vibe, it works for me. GREAT JOB !!~!

mschuster
04-09-2016, 08:05 AM
really enjoyed this. a huge amount of mature and inventive creativity going on. i too got a Pink Floyd vibe, esp during that strat solo late in the song.

as always, love your lyrics. edgy, in your face - poetic.

a lot of REALLY nice dynamics. so rare these days. nothing really popped out at me in the mix. Bass is superb. perfect match here. vocals float about - working nicely with guitars and music.

impressive!

edit: btw, loved the guitars too! good job Kev!

sammydix
04-09-2016, 08:12 AM
I enojed it very much. Its got a tad of a gorillaz vibe to it. For the mix, got no clue!

I suppose since you didn't say "absolutely horrid" that the mix was at least passable. Hope that's a safe assumption! Thanks for listening OPI.

sammydix
04-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Kinda Pink Floydish as well imo, the Strat sound is very Floydlike, atmospheric, another fine song, cheers.

Hey MOrg! Stan sent me four tracks of guitars, way more than could fit in the song, and left me to choose what I wanted. I took some of the chord parts and verbed the $^%& out of em, so I guess that's where that Floyd vibe derived.

sammydix
04-10-2016, 02:47 PM
I've never smoked reefer or drank cheap wine...

Oh, I believe you. ;)
Thanks guy.

sammydix
04-10-2016, 02:50 PM
really enjoyed this. a huge amount of mature and inventive creativity going on. i too got a Pink Floyd vibe, esp during that strat solo late in the song.

as always, love your lyrics. edgy, in your face - poetic.

a lot of REALLY nice dynamics. so rare these days. nothing really popped out at me in the mix. Bass is superb. perfect match here. vocals float about - working nicely with guitars and music.

impressive!

edit: btw, loved the guitars too! good job Kev!

Thanks Mark. What was really cool was the neither Kevin nor Stan knew what the other would be playing. They didn't hear their trks together until I had everything in Reap.

cyrano
04-11-2016, 01:09 AM
It wouldn't play. Told me I had a Flash blocker.

You need to let "Scorecard Research Tracker" through before it plays. Probably something that counts number of playback and stuff like that. That's new for me on Soundcloud. A bit ridiculous, as they have three other trackers running. But there are sites that are far worse.

I liked it. Laid back, funky.

sammydix
04-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Sounds kinda typical for a site like SC. But it sounds like you heard it anyway, so what'd you do? Temporarily turn off your flash blocker? I use FF with Adblock and Ghostery, but they haven't stopped me....yet! Thanks for taking the chance.

Fictional Substance
04-12-2016, 03:43 AM
Just a quick word to say amazing work with this. Love it.

msore
04-12-2016, 07:19 AM
Sam. Tight and stretched out too. My brain told me this was Curtis Mayfield playing with Steely Dan. The character of the composition is not one thing, but moves in and out of things, in purely sensible ways. Shows to anyone listening that all the separate "genres" were meant to be mixed. I dug the organ providing color (reminded me of Miles Davis' using it in the background during his funk years), but it was mostly at the beginning - got swallowed up at the end. I do think that the vocals could have come up top more. Couldn't clearly get all the lyrics, so they just appeared as elements in the overall souflee. Amazing how you pulled off several different styles of singing in one well-arranged song. gracias

NKB
04-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Love it.

sammydix
04-13-2016, 06:36 AM
Sam. Tight and stretched out too. My brain told me this was Curtis Mayfield playing with Steely Dan. The character of the composition is not one thing, but moves in and out of things, in purely sensible ways. Shows to anyone listening that all the separate "genres" were meant to be mixed. I dug the organ providing color (reminded me of Miles Davis' using it in the background during his funk years), but it was mostly at the beginning - got swallowed up at the end. I do think that the vocals could have come up top more. Couldn't clearly get all the lyrics, so they just appeared as elements in the overall souflee. Amazing how you pulled off several different styles of singing in one well-arranged song. gracias

@fictionalsubstance
Thanks for giving a listen.

@msore
Yeah, it's unanimous: gotta keep them vocals clear. Now I'll be especially aware of that when I mix. Love some of the influences you name, particularly Steely. Thanks for spinning.

@NKB
Glad you stopped by. Thanks.

hamish
04-14-2016, 04:03 PM
I haven't been listening enough lately, so I only just caught up with this via SC.

I honestly didn't really listen to mixing a whole lot, nothing stuck out as 'wrong'.

I was most impressed with the amazing depth and talent in the playing and production, just so much detail and expression in the layers of gtrs and vox (also super drum programming). Enjoyed massively.

RE. Bass, yes it's hard to believe that is samples. Did you play in with MIDI guitar?

sammydix
04-15-2016, 07:54 AM
I haven't been listening enough lately, so I only just caught up with this via SC.

I honestly didn't really listen to mixing a whole lot, nothing stuck out as 'wrong'.

I was most impressed with the amazing depth and talent in the playing and production, just so much detail and expression in the layers of gtrs and vox (also super drum programming). Enjoyed massively.

RE. Bass, yes it's hard to believe that is samples. Did you play in with MIDI guitar?

Hey Ham, and thanks man.
The bass were made up from a bunch of one shot real bass samples I found on an old CD lying around. They were all in the same key, so I arranged them into melodies, then followed along with my guitar. After I had a basic groove, I added AD2 clean funk kit and changed it up in every section. I arp'd an organ from Sampletank, got kindafishy's wah, and finally Stan's guitar tracks and started editing, arranging and mixing.
You don't even wanna hear the early versions, though Kevin did to help point out things.

HugoRibeiroDotCom
04-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Holy crap Sammy! This is awesome! Nice fusion of funk, jazz and electronics!
Really fantastic work. I'm truly impressed!

cheers

MichaJo
04-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Heard it a few times over the last days. Come back to it every day now. Love it! Blackstreet meets Zappa in memoriam of Alexis Korner (as stated ealier...your voice reminds me a lot of him)

Love it. Simply GREAT!

Michael

stratman
04-17-2016, 01:19 AM
Outstanding. I love it.

Great work by all involved.

Pete

sammydix
04-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Holy crap Sammy! This is awesome! Nice fusion of funk, jazz and electronics!
Really fantastic work. I'm truly impressed!

cheers

Yeah, Hugo, I hadn't written in so long, everything seemed to come out at once.

sammydix
04-17-2016, 07:30 AM
@MichaJo
Got to admit I wasn't familiar with A.Korner, so I googled. Actually, he reminded me of Tom Waits just a tad. But still, when he really got into singing, I could hear what you meant. He and I could easily "duet."

@stratman
Thanks Strat! Great hearing from you. Hope all is well.

g4greg
04-17-2016, 02:51 PM
This is great!

Man, everything you touch turns to gold :) I realy like this funky jazzy thing, and the talent level on this song is phenomenal!

Maix wise, I was too busy listeneing to the song to be critical, sorry... But if nothing popped out, the mix must be pretty solid :)

azimuth
04-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Sammy, those bridges with the Bass harmonics are killer. Great composition and really enjoyable listen. The title cracks me up also.

sammydix
04-18-2016, 05:35 PM
@g4greg
Stan has appeared on a lot of my older songs, so it was cool "reuniting" for this one. But the first thing I heard was a wah guitar after I had the basic arrangement, and for the wah, it had to be Kevin. Looks like I chose well. Thanks man.

@azimuth
Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with seeing another guy's underwear. My teen neph flaunts it all the time. Good thing I love him. He prompted the song anyway by nagging me to "get back to my roots" and stop all that rock stuff.

kindafishy
04-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Sorry guys, not been around too much lately. Thanks for the cool comments, and Sammy, thank you so very much for inviting me in on this tune. I had so much fun with it.

sammydix
04-23-2016, 07:37 AM
I'm glad I asked you. You made the chorus. I liked what you came up with so much that (as you can hear) I complete dumped my original guitars there. Stan played in that section also, but his guitar tone didn't quite match up well with what you had. It was good and I placed it in the center between yours, but I just couldn't get it to work (tho I tried for like 30 mins). So rather than try to force his part to fit, I just left your parts alone there.

instinctual jealousy
04-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I can hear the Floyd all over this and I don't even listen to Floyd. I dig the guitar tone and the way all the instruments play off of one another and interact.