PDA

View Full Version : some new stuff, looking for criticism

Nizhny Tagil
04-09-2016, 05:47 AM
Recently I've put online some new stuff, or old stuff that I've been working on and off lately.
Always looking for precious criticism. Everything's here: http://soundcloud.com/nizhny-tagil
I take the chance to thank the always helpful Reaper community.

sammydix
04-09-2016, 07:59 AM
I think your recordings need some overall "sparkle" Nizhny. Everything sounds a little buried beneath a veil. I don't mean add a bunch of high-end treble, just more clarity. I rather liked Unnatural Blues a lot.

Nizhny Tagil
04-09-2016, 09:36 AM
I think your recordings need some overall "sparkle" Nizhny. Everything sounds a little buried beneath a veil. I don't mean add a bunch of high-end treble, just more clarity. I rather liked Unnatural Blues a lot.

I think I understand what you mean. Maybe it's because I barely EQ anything, I mostly filter highs and lows, only sometimes I'd boost in the vocal area to bring something out. I try to make as few moves as possible when mixing to avoid screwing things up worse.

Thanks a lot for your attention, that's the kind of criticism I'm looking for. If you have some more suggestions, I'm all ears.

sammydix
04-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Looks like we share the same EQ philosophy: less is better. I like to use gentle, broad strokes when I eq. Sharp and pointy sounds too obvious to me and can make an instrument sound eq'd rather than natural. And the fewer bands, the better. A three or four band eq works just fine for me. Many times when I listen to songs I hear the eq before I hear the song. hah. I guess the difference here is to be more strategic with your minimum eq use. Maybe even bring shelves into play (of course wo overdoing it).

If something's 'dull', I try to get rid of mud first to clear it out first, I do that to avoid immediately adding more high end to clear it up. Then I go for any ugly high freqs. I do that in isolation. For finer tuning, I listen in context with all the other trks.

Just my method, but I go trk by trk starting with drums/percussion, then on to bass along with the drums to see if their working together. Now my rhythm sections somewhat done. Then I'll go to the next instrument, let's say guitar to use as an example, eq that alone to get it sounding decent, then listen to it with the drums/perc and bass untill those three elements sound good together. Then to the next instrument and so on. Hope that helps a little.