PDA

View Full Version : The Mall - Punk

msundh
04-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Ever since OpIvy showed up I wanted to do a punk song and suddenly this turned up.
The lyric may not be punk 'and I don't caaaaaare'

https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh/the_mall

sammydix
04-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Link?

msundh
04-16-2016, 03:39 AM
Added the link in OP.
Thought you would found out through my signature;)

Dimaension X
04-16-2016, 07:25 AM
I like the song (the tag #Mature Punk really fits).

I'd use another snare drum sound, but other than that, the guitars have that raw crunchy sound that works for this style.

sammydix
04-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Thought that was more generic than specific. Don't like searching or sifting. But it was the first song in the list. very Buzzcocks-ish to me. Must be played loud. Mix sounds good and raw.

msundh
04-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Thank for the comments.

@Dimaension X: The snare sound is a tricky one to decide. I'm always uncertain what to chose. This song is one of the fasted one I've done from idea to final mix, so I have n't done any choosing of sounds really.

@Sammy: Thanks for comments on the mix. I seldom get comments on that and was afraid that my mixes was really bad and nobody dared to say anything;)

morgon
04-16-2016, 12:31 PM
That's a well dialled gtr, crunch and clarity, a nice bite to it. The gtr solo breaks remind me of Motorhead, cool vibe, well done.

msundh
04-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Thanks morgon. It was real fun doing thsi tune.
I finally got some nice guitar sounds from my amp sims.
I'm quite satisfied with the sound, so thanks for the confirmation on that.

g4greg
04-17-2016, 04:38 AM
rrawwwwk! I also think that you need a more macho snare... But the rest of the song is REALLY cool!

It's funny, because I'm working on a punk song as well... Must be in season LOL

msundh
04-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Thanks a lot. It's always season for Punk:)

OpIvy
04-23-2016, 04:22 AM
whoa I missed this one.
That's an awesome tune- very old school and a nice raw mix.
Guitar tones are sweet and very tidy playing

I agree with the snare being a bit weak but snares weren't exactly a defining sound in the early punk days were they so who gives a shit.

Please do more of these- too much electronica synth-shit being made these days.

msundh
04-24-2016, 03:17 AM
Thanks.
I haven't until recently managed to get a decent disted rythm guitar sound, so my rockier tunes haven't made it all the way to soundcloud.
Hopefully that will change.
Don't hope too much for more punk though;)

mschuster
04-24-2016, 08:27 AM
some great energy here! really dug the tonal pairing of the voice and music.. for lack of a better comparison, it was like a "Johnny Cash" kind of delivery/tone/phrasing with Punk!

i REALLY liked the tone of your guitar licks/leads, e.g. 1:41... very beefy, "tubey" sound.. care to offer some details?

msundh
04-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks. For the guitars I use BIAS FX pro. All the solos have one setting (and the rythm has another one), so if the sound differ, it's the playing style.
Both presets are based on amp match found on the tonecloud.
I have only the BIAS, a limiter and a reverb send on the guitar tracks (one track each).
Just out of the box:)
I also use BIAS as bass amp sim.

g4greg
04-25-2016, 03:05 PM
I like BIAS.. I'm not pro guitar player, but I like how it responds to my playing. Very natural.

but you know, a man's skills is 90% of his tone, and you sound great ;)

instinctual jealousy
04-25-2016, 05:33 PM
I actually don't think the vocals are unfitting- maybe I'd crave more power, or perhaps a sharper edge to it, but the overall delivery actually fits. I love the guitar, nice and raw and catchy.

I don't have anything to say about the snare that hasn't already been said. :P

msundh
04-26-2016, 09:47 AM
a man's skills is 90% of his tone, and you sound great ;)
Give me more, give me more:)
Thanks.

I like BIAS. I find it easier to get a good sound, but my experience of their support make me not recommend it.
Their community site has been down for 2-3 months for maintenance, and now it's dead.

msundh
04-26-2016, 09:49 AM
I actually don't think the vocals are unfitting- maybe I'd crave more power, or perhaps a sharper edge to it, but the overall delivery actually fits. I love the guitar, nice and raw and catchy.
Thanks a lot.

I don't have anything to say about the snare that hasn't already been said. :P

Next time I bring you a snare that give you tinnitus;)