PDA

View Full Version : Netbook Orchestra Mk II

cerendir
04-24-2016, 05:31 AM
Second attempt (https://soundcloud.com/mattiaswestlund/netbook-orchestra-experimental) at setting up a useable orchestral template on an Acer AspireOne netbook. First attempt here (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169067). Still needs a lot of work but I would say this isn't too shabby for some 850MB of samples, the project running at ~50% CPU. But of course it's all a tradeoff between quality and resource usage.

Roland strings (except for the contrabasses, which are Advanced Orchestra) subtly layered with Miroslav; Advanced Orchestra brass; Miroslav winds. Some Roland percussion as well, plus various freebies. Jeskola XS-1 for loading the samples, ValhallaRoom reverb.

uncleswede
04-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Sounds great to me :)

MonkeyBars
04-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Cool project, sounds pretty good! The woodwinds are a bit rough though. Miroslav never was that solid, so that may be a good place for a swapout.

cerendir
04-26-2016, 02:55 PM
Sounds great to me :)

Thanks!

Cool project, sounds pretty good! The woodwinds are a bit rough though. Miroslav never was that solid, so that may be a good place for a swapout.

Thanks MonkeyBars. Actually I've swapped out the woodwinds three times already and for some reason I think the Miroslav ones work best. I'm not particularly fond of the library either but it has the upside of having small samples and a consistent overall sound. I had the AO winds at first but they're not that great, the dynamic layers are too far apart (flutes jump from breathy pp to manically vibratoed ff) and they strike me as kind of expressionless. Then I tried mixing and matching a bunch of freebies but it was just too much work making them sound like they belong together. So I settled for Miroslav, they'll have to do.

It should be mentioned though that this template is not intended for any serious VO productions. I lug my netbook around a lot and I just want something basic that lets me rough out ideas or compose for fun, while at the same time sounding passable enough not to annoy me and make me lose inspiration.

It's also a fun challenge :)

MonkeyBars
04-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Thanks!
Thanks MonkeyBars. Actually I've swapped out the woodwinds three times already and for some reason I think the Miroslav ones work best. I'm not particularly fond of the library either but it has the upside of having small samples and a consistent overall sound. I had the AO winds at first but they're not that great, the dynamic layers are too far apart (flutes jump from breathy pp to manically vibratoed ff) and they strike me as kind of expressionless. Then I tried mixing and matching a bunch of freebies but it was just too much work making them sound like they belong together. So I settled for Miroslav, they'll have to do.

Have you tried Siedlaczek? I seem to remember their WW being decent.

It should be mentioned though that this template is not intended for any serious VO productions. I lug my netbook around a lot and I just want something basic that lets me rough out ideas or compose for fun, while at the same time sounding passable enough not to annoy me and make me lose inspiration.

It's also a fun challenge :)

That's a very important note. For that purpose it sounds about 10x better than it needs to :)

cerendir
04-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Have you tried Siedlaczek? I seem to remember their WW being decent.

Advanced Orchestra is Siedlaczek. First orchestral lib I bought. I love it for its huge amount of articulations (AO was waaay ahead of its time in this regard, and I still use its runs and rips and trills and little ornaments to this day) but the plain sustain samples never really appealed to me.

HugoRibeiroDotCom
04-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Your work is always top-notch Mattias! ;)

cheers

cerendir
05-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Thanks Hugo!

Yet another update (https://soundcloud.com/mattiaswestlund/netbook-orchestra-experimental). The template is pretty much finished now, here's what it contains (squeezed into almost exactly 1GB RAM):

STRINGS

1. 1st Violins sus (p/f)
2. 1st Violins stc
3. 1st Violins piz
4. 2nd Violins sus (p/f)
5. 2nd Violins stc
6. 2nd Violins piz
7. Violas sus (p/f)
8. Violas stc
9. Violas piz
10. Cellos sus (p/f)
11. Cellos stc
12. Cellos piz
13. Contrabasses sus (p/f)
14. Contrabasses stc
15. Contrabasses piz
16. Full strings trm (section panning preserved)

BRASS & WINDS

1. Trumpets sus (p/f)
2. Trumpets stc
3. Horns sus (p/f)
4. Horns stc
5. Trombones sus (p/f)
6. Trombones stc
7. Tuba sus (p/f)
8. Tuba stc
9. Flute sus
10. Flute stc
11. Clarinet sus
12. Clarinet stc
13. Oboe sus
14. Oboe stc
15. Bassoon sus
16. Bassoon stc

PERC & MISC

1. Bass drum (hits/rolls)
2. Snare (hits/rolls)
3. Cymbals (hits/rolls)
4. Toms
5. Timpani (hits/rolls)
6. Glockenspiel
7. Small percussion
8. Solo violin
9. Solo cello
10. Solo trumpet (p/f)
11. Solo horn (p/f)
12. Solo trombone (p/f)
13. Piccolo
14. Harp
15. -
16. Male/female choir (split L/R)

I think I've managed to cover all the basics aside from a few woodwinds (cor anglais, bass clarinet, contrabassoon) but I can live without them.

As you can see I have only one free slot left. Adding another instance of Jeskola will most likely have too much of a performance hit (the project runs at a comfy 50-60% CPU right now) so that's not an option. I would like to add a xylophone, but maybe I can create a split with the glocken and keep the last slot open if I have a facepalm moment and think of anything truly important that I've missed.

MonkeyBars
05-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Nice. I vote triangle nice & light.

cerendir
05-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Nice. I vote triangle nice & light.

I already have a triangle, you can spot it in the part at ~1:26 and the roll at ~2:22. :)

Piano maybe? The Keystation Mini 32 I'm using with the netbook is pretty hopeless for piano playing though.

stumpbroke1
05-11-2016, 03:14 AM
Nice I like it, nice dynamics