PDA

View Full Version : New Work in Progress - "Machine Love"

smueske
05-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Here is the final version, if anyone is interested. Any comments, of course, are welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/steve-mueske/machine-love

jason_442
05-17-2016, 08:11 AM
I like it has an old school ambient sound.

smueske
05-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks for listening, Jason!

msore
05-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Far more rhythmic than melodic.
More machine than love.
Why did you use a nine-tone scale? what was your intention?

smueske
05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
msore, my sole intention with working in 9edo was to try something different. I've been working with mostly microtonal electronica for the past three years and have worked in 13, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 23 edo, as well as 7-limit just intonation and 26ed3 (an octave and a half divided into 26 steps); someone suggested trying a smaller than 12 edo. I tried 11 and couldn't make anything work, so I tried 9 and this piece is the result. The title is just based on the vibe of the piece.

BTW, it's not a 9-tone scale. The entire temperament is 9 notes. The scales are smaller. I used alternating step sizes of sLsLsL, mostly. This is only my second piece since releasing Eventual, an album of mostly microtonal electronica. I hope to finish this piece soon, iron out the details and whatnot.

http://split-notes.com/muesk-eventual/

P.S. I don't know if this really answers your question. Basically, I'm just trying out different temperaments with each new piece. Every few songs I go back and do one in 12 (standard tuning), but I'm kind of interested in exploring what's possible beyond the boundaries.

msore
05-18-2016, 06:56 AM
Thanks.

mschuster
05-18-2016, 06:27 PM
i have to admit, i wasn't sure what to expect. i read through the thread before listening and thought to myself - huh?? what the hell are these guys talking about? 9edo? what's that?? i'm a music minor (major at one pt but just didn't stick it out.. long story...) and i have no clue. so like any semi-intelligent lad, i GOOGLE'd it.

at first, i got this => http://www.whitepages.com/business/9-edo-sushi-grill-new-york-ny

and i thought to myself? he's writing about a sushi/grill in NY?? what?? well, ok - i've heard weirder here. maybe he's a food nut.

then i found this => http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/9edo

and it "sorta" made sense. oh sure, an octave divided into 9 equal parts, as opposed to 12?

then i got even more curious and found this => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_tone_system.

whoa! 24 equal divisions?

clearly i'm outta my league here, don't know what the hell i'm taking about and best zip it pronto!

but before i do, i just want to say whatever you're doing - it's great!! very mature, wonderful to listen to - and interesting. would i offend if i say at moments i felt pings of Trent Reznor? John Cage? I hope not. Both compliments of the highest kind.

Kudos on going somewhere few have and doing it really, really well! Keep it up!

smueske
05-19-2016, 12:34 PM
mschuster, thank you so much for the kind words. Microtonal music is a wide open field. Traditional Turkish maqam music, for example, can have as many as 53 notes per octave. I'm certainly not qualified to be mentioned in the same breath as someone like Trent Reznor or John Cage, both luminary pioneers; I think of myself as a musical tourist, a creative guy with a DAW he loves and a lot of curiosity. There are a lot of really really good people who are doing this kind of xenharmonic electronica, Skiks, Sevish, Brendan Byrnes, and Carlo Serafini, to name a few. It's a small community to be sure, but so inspirational to me. Everyone has been kind and patient as I feel around in this new universe. Having said all this, I am very honored that you took the time to listen to my music and that you are getting some enjoyment from it. What else is there for creative souls other than knowing a few people are listening to music they love to create?

smueske
05-19-2016, 12:36 PM
BTW, that xenharmonic WIKI has a lot of information about the whole field of microtonal (xenharmonic) music. A lot of theory, ideas, knowledge. It's a good place to dig in if you are ever curious and want to know more about it (or try it out).

Jorgen
05-21-2016, 02:58 AM
I hope you continue experimenting... this is something else. I'd love to hear how chords/harmony would work out. This is (to my ears) a monophonic piece with a counter melody, a bit minimalistic... like the two bar theme with a slight difference when repeated.

smueske
05-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Jorgen, thank you for listening! This piece is indeed very minimalistc. The machine vibe kind of led me down that path. I have a bunch of other tracks on my last album that use chords and such that might be of interest. I posted a link so I won't post it again. I do hope to keep learning, because there is so much out there. I want to write "weirdly beautiful" music that is accessible, thematic, and encourages dreaming.

msore
05-22-2016, 11:22 AM
I want to write "weirdly beautiful" music that is accessible, thematic, and encourages dreaming.

Love that!

Jorgen
05-23-2016, 03:11 AM
Jorgen, thank you for listening! This piece is indeed very minimalistc. The machine vibe kind of led me down that path. I have a bunch of other tracks on my last album that use chords and such that might be of interest. I posted a link so I won't post it again. I do hope to keep learning, because there is so much out there. I want to write "weirdly beautiful" music that is accessible, thematic, and encourages dreaming.

Cool. Have you ever read you poetry to music? Would love to hear it.

smueske
05-24-2016, 01:06 PM
I have not done that yet though I keep thinking about trying it to see what happens. And thanks! :)

smueske
05-27-2016, 05:01 PM
Just posted the final version, if anyone is interested.