PDA

View Full Version : Fortunate Son

BCF1
05-18-2016, 08:26 AM
So it's a CCR cover this time. Took a few liberties with it, added a guitar solo part after the interlude and then did the interlude again before going on to the last verse. Also added a snappy ?? ending. Not overly Metal but a little bit chunkier then the original. What do you think ?

https://www.reverbnation.com/wristlock/song/25893861-fortunate-son

Thanks BCF1

haervo
05-18-2016, 09:21 AM
Uuuuh... sacrilege! :D

That is one of my all-time favorite songs, and a version that topped all other versions before this was the one on the 2013 John C. Fogerty album he did with the Foo Fighters.

Now you are in deep water. You have in my eyes to fight with that version. And you have lost! :D (Whats not so annoying as it looks like, the goal is really high on my side.)

Seriously, I hope you are not offended by the words of a Fogerty-fan. I find your version comes really close to the drive and the groove of that said 2013 version. Congratulations!

But the sound I find a bit boomy. Gits and voice is not really clear. Did you compare the version in question? That has outstanding guitars and an absolute clear voice in it, of course sings Fogerty one octave higher. In your rendition the voice is not understandable. (What I find important especially in that song.)

All in all I think its a thing of mastering. A tad in the presence range and a smaller tad in the air range maybe does the trick.

BCF1
05-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Uuuuh... sacrilege! :D

That is one of my all-time favorite songs, and a version that topped all other versions before this was the one on the 2013 John C. Fogerty album he did with the Foo Fighters.

Now you are in deep water. You have in my eyes to fight with that version. And you have lost! :D (Whats not so annoying as it looks like, the goal is really high on my side.)

Seriously, I hope you are not offended by the words of a Fogerty-fan. I find your version comes really close to the drive and the groove of that said 2013 version. Congratulations!

But the sound I find a bit boomy. Gits and voice is not really clear. Did you compare the version in question? That has outstanding guitars and an absolute clear voice in it, of course sings Fogerty one octave higher. In your rendition the voice is not understandable. (What I find important especially in that song.)

All in all I think its a thing of mastering. A tad in the presence range and a smaller tad in the air range maybe does the trick.

Excellent critique and no offense taken at all. I did see a video on youtube of Fogerty and Foo Fighters playing this tune live and it was pretty killer. Being that I live under a rock I did not know there was a Fogerty album in 2013 or that he colabbed with the FF. I'm definitely going to check that out and I can imagine that would put the bar up rather high. I appreciate your position and will revisit this and look at the areas you brought up. I knew it needed some tweeking and tweeking it shall receive.
Thanks again for the critque, absolutely the kind I like and find useful !!!

haervo
05-18-2016, 10:39 AM
You re welcome! :)

Here is a description of the album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrote_a_Song_for_Everyone

BCF1
05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
You re welcome! :)

Here is a description of the album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrote_a_Song_for_Everyone

Just checked out JF/FF 2013 version and your right that shit rocks pretty damn good plus they can actually sing ......:)

It can be found here: https://youtu.be/JWeeZJVSTOw

Regardless still gonna work on my version

Thanks for schoolin me on the Folgery album I missed

haervo
05-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Thanks for schoolin me on the Folgery album I missed

Glad to have gained a new fan. Fogerty pays me percentages. :D

jason_442
05-18-2016, 02:38 PM
Sounds good, this is a great classic tune. Comparing anyone to Foo Fighters is pretty unfair. They might just be the greatest performing rock band we have today.

mschuster
05-18-2016, 05:22 PM
FRICKIN' LOVE THIS! damn dude! love the vibe... love the gittar solo! and your solo tone!! killer!!

i don't know if you're gonna take this as a compliment or not - but man you sound like James Hetfield covering CCR...!!

http://www.revolvermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/James-Hetfield-Call-of-Duty.png

CCR had their own groove, and it was a GREAT GROOVE. this is different, but not a bad different. It's a modern take, and pays great homage to a great band. you did them proud!

BCF1
05-18-2016, 09:05 PM
Glad to have gained a new fan. Fogerty pays me percentages. :D

Definitely a fan, and now a up to date fan

"No matter how you try to polish a turd
you're going to end up with shit on your hands" :)

Sounds good, this is a great classic tune. Comparing anyone to Foo Fighters is pretty unfair. They might just be the greatest performing rock band we have today.

Thanks.....I don't mind going head to head with the FOO's and pulling 2nd place. I'm just one guy..................who's not Dave

FRICKIN' LOVE THIS! damn dude! love the vibe... love the gittar solo! and your solo tone!! killer!!

i don't know if you're gonna take this as a compliment or not - but man you sound like James Hetfield covering CCR...!!

CCR had their own groove, and it was a GREAT GROOVE. this is different, but not a bad different. It's a modern take, and pays great homage to a great band. you did them proud!

Thanks Mark
I take it all as compliments..........I keep messing with amp sims and this or that for rhythm guitars because it's convenient at night or whatever but it's very rare that I'll track any lead playing that way. I know how to get my sound and I play better cranking up my live rack and the Mesa Dual Rec w/sm57 in one of the the sweet spots of the bottom/straight cab... Killer !!!