PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Of Your Past - Grunge Song Idea

jonlint
09-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

Working on a grunge song idea. Feedback welcome:

https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-linton-3/ghost-of-your-past

GHOST OF YOUR PAST
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)

It’s the same apparition
Coming back
To warn of the future
With a flashback

It, spooks, and, scares, you
It, knows, just, how, to
Exploit, your, weakness
And, your, help…, less…, ness

You, can’t, escape, from
The ghost of your past
Like a phantom limb
The ghost of your past

The ghost of your past
The ghost of your past

Now a big storm is formin’
In your mind
The past has escaped you
Can’t be confined

You, should, have, lis…, tened
Your, doom’s, now, chris…, tened
Ign…, nored, your, weak…, ness
Now, you, are, help…, less

You, can’t, escape, from
The ghost of your past
Like a phantom limb
The ghost of your past

The ghost of your past
The ghost of your past

sammydix
09-26-2017, 05:29 PM
I love that big, wide and open sound. Drums sound a little "mids-y", but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing in the context of this song.

jonlint
09-27-2017, 12:25 AM
I love that big, wide and open sound. Drums sound a little "mids-y", but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing in the context of this song.

Hi Sammy,

Thanks for the compliment. The mix was a quick one just to get the idea down. Definitely need to do some EQing and balancing. After a car stereo listen, there needs to be a high and low shelf on the whole mix buss, the cymbals are too low, bass can be more present and the vocals could also do with some high end EQ treatment without getting harsh.

Apart from the mix, what do you think about the song itself? Of course the song is still rough and the ending is "cobbled together". I envisage a wailing solo after the 2nd chorus and a different ending - "ghost of your past" repeated at the end I think is too repetitive. I have some ideas to make that more exciting and not monotonous.

HugoRibeiroDotCom
09-27-2017, 05:27 AM
ahhhh... that Alice In Chains influence is undeniable. :D
Great job Jon. You captured that 90's vibe.

cheers

sammydix
09-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Just that one part around 3:15 made it seem like it was going too long for me. Maybe omit that little section and combine/condense the "Ghost..." sections before and after that? Just a thought song-wise.
With that and the extra mixing you have planned, I think it's some strong songwriting. If I were driving down the highway and switching through radio, and heard this somewhere between the static, it would make me stop and check it out. But that's theoretical, I haven't listened to the radio in years and years and years.

Dream Of Sleeping
09-27-2017, 08:52 AM
I like it. The guitar part of the verse slightly reminds me of Dive by Nirvana. You've got a great voice but I'm not a big fan of the yarling vocal style. Any chance I can talk you out of doing that? It just makes me think this scene from Ted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8FIUGLgDM

jonlint
09-28-2017, 01:37 AM
Just that one part around 3:15 made it seem like it was going too long for me. Maybe omit that little section and combine/condense the "Ghost..." sections before and after that? Just a thought song-wise.
With that and the extra mixing you have planned, I think it's some strong songwriting. If I were driving down the highway and switching through radio, and heard this somewhere between the static, it would make me stop and check it out. But that's theoretical, I haven't listened to the radio in years and years and years.

Hi Sammy, I have the same opinion about that section. I ran the song idea past the band last night and they love it. We restructured the song beginning and the part around 3:15 and I believe the song is now much better. Will try to post a live practice room demo when we get it down and can play it tight.

Once again, thanks for the compliments, but most of all the constructive critique.

jonlint
09-28-2017, 01:41 AM
I like it. The guitar part of the verse slightly reminds me of Dive by Nirvana. You've got a great voice but I'm not a big fan of the yarling vocal style. Any chance I can talk you out of doing that? It just makes me think this scene from Ted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8FIUGLgDM

Hi there, your feedback is well noted. I know this vocal style is seen by many as a 90s cliche. For what it is worth in my band set, I sing each song differently. Some like Chris Cornell, some more punk style, some more smooth. I like to vary my vocal style and fit it to the song and not sound the same. I go with my gut, and my gut tells me that this vocal style fits. I do know what you mean and agree its a 90s cliche vocal style. But I am hard to convince on this one! Lets agree to disagree :)

jonlint
09-28-2017, 01:43 AM
ahhhh... that Alice In Chains influence is undeniable. :D
Great job Jon. You captured that 90's vibe.

cheers

Hi there,

Many thanks for the compliment. Given that Alice In Chains is my favourite band and Layne and Jerry Cantrell are two of my idols, this makes me quite proud and humbled at the same time.

Animal Rescue
10-21-2017, 02:22 AM
Cool tune! I love the space in the mix. Big sound. Could be a release on Amphetamine Reptile's old back catalog. And that's a compliment!