PDA

View Full Version : New EP - First track first mix

wyleegee
03-16-2018, 08:43 AM
Hi folks, working on a new EP with a new band and I've got this mix together: https://soundcloud.com/gareth-mcnicol/datenite-ep-0316/s-U2ofb - using reaper and a ton of stock plugin usage.

Any feedback appreciated.

jonboper
03-19-2018, 07:31 AM
What a cool, fun song. I really like the way the vocals and sax are out front, but sometimes they seem maybe a little too far away from the rest of the "band". The sax might be a little too punky for some, but I like the dynamics of it.

wyleegee
03-19-2018, 05:08 PM
Thanks Jon!

I was referencing XRay Spex; which seemed most appropriate. I guess maybe the sax is a bit forward, it has been my biggest challenge.

L_Grizzle
03-27-2018, 12:17 PM
Sounds good! I like how it gets more chaotic as it goes on - I think the guitar solo could be a bit dirtier, but other than that, it all gels together pretty well!

HugoRibeiroDotCom
03-29-2018, 03:13 AM
Interesting use of a saxophone instead of the typical solos in songs. Its kind of unique. The mix is also pretty damn good to my ears.

cheers

timothys_monster
03-29-2018, 03:58 PM
I loooove hearing some weegie accent again!!!

Brilliant vibes in the song. That sax is sexy.

A thought about the mix:
There are some really disturbing high frequencies on the voice. Probably around >10k.
Maybe you can try to get rid of these. They hurt my ears, haha.
And, well, it's hard to fit the saxophone into the mix. Try some more compression (or go really nuts with gain reduction of +12dB and process it in parallel) and maybe a bit more room (reverb if you didn't have a room mic).

wyleegee
03-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Hey, I didn't realise there were more responses.

Thanks so much for the feedback, the rest of the EP is out: https://thetrudyloots.bandcamp.com/releases so any flaws in that mix are probably still in the final version :-D

You live and learn.

For sax I used what apparently is called butter compression. ReaComp makes this easy to do, turn the threshold as low as it'll go, then set like a 10ms attack, auto release and slowly start dialling up the ratio (ctrl + drag) and you'll get a buttery smooth compression. Made it sit in the mixes. Also, a plate reverb always made it just sit... nicely.

Anyway the EP's out, have a listen, it is what it is. On to the next one.

nofish
03-31-2018, 05:51 PM
Good stuff, currently enjoying listening to the EP. :)
Mix fits the style imo (meant in a positive way).