PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Real

Glennbo
03-18-2018, 09:21 AM
I almost always use real instruments for recording, including acoustic drums, but for kicks the other day I decided to write a song using no real instruments.

Being a drummer I decided to take it one more level and try using the drag-n-drop functionality of Superior Drummer to create the drums, so I didn't play the drums on this one, but simply arranged the drums from midi clips.

The song consists of nothing but one instance of Superior Drummer and one instance of Kontakt with 13 of the Factory Library sounds dialed up.

The song is titled "Nothing Real" because not one instrument on it is real.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13706459

msundh
03-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Nice. Impressed with the guitar sounds.

Glennbo
03-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Nice. Impressed with the guitar sounds.

Thanks Mikael. I am more impressed with the whole Factory Library that comes with Kontakt after doing this experiment. The fiddle and lead guitar tones both do cool stuff to add realism when the velocity goes over 120. I put an envelope on the acoustic guitar to change the strumming pattern as the song played, so it wouldn't sound so repetitive.

G-Sun
03-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Cool idea for a song.
Some sounds work better than others.

Some nice arr and songwriting :)

Glennbo
03-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Cool idea for a song.
Some sounds work better than others.

Some nice arr and songwriting :)

Thanks Geir, and you are right, some of the sounds "almost" sound real, but others are closer. I just found the cool velocity switching on some the samples while trying out more of the sounds in Kontakt. I have a better idea now of what it can do. :)