PDA

View Full Version : REAPER CONTEST - APRIL 2018 (RESULTS)

DaveKeehl
04-07-2018, 05:48 AM
REAPER CONTEST - APRIL 2018
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)

https://stash.reaper.fm/30675/1st%20post.png (https://reapercontest.wixsite.com/home)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE (https://reapercontest.wixsite.com/home)

MIXING: 5-20 April
VOTING: 21-28 April
RESULTS: 30 April

APRIL 2018 PROJECTS (https://mega.nz/#!OmpFmC6Z!xPUImwB4SrAkIjHWXNyRUQGGPqvdRCsQa_DAjRH St74)
REAPER CONTEST ANALYTICS (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tLbEImh7ZU9LDJKmHPnTYnA08F5j2NbprnbeP-i3DtA)

For April user Grass has chosen the song It's In These Times by the band Rovers Ahead. It's a fun song to work on that can be better understood by having a cold Guinness next to you.
As always you can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link (https://reapercontest.wixsite.com/home/mixing).

Happy mixing!
Dave

IMPORTANT:

Please use the website (https://reapercontest.wixsite.com/home) as the main resource for the contest.

Check out the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/reapercontest/) and the Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/reapercontest/?ref=bookmarks) if you still haven't!

DaveKeehl
04-07-2018, 05:51 AM
Welcome to the new and old users! :D

D Rocks
04-07-2018, 07:45 AM
Hi

I'm new to this and want to say thanks for doing this. Its an awesome idea and bonus feature to the REAPER community.

I'll give it a try as a new user it will be a super challenge to develop workflow!

DaveKeehl
04-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Hey D Rocks thanks for checking it out! :). hope you'll enjoy it!

Not_Here
04-08-2018, 01:23 AM
Hi

I'm new to this and want to say thanks for doing this. Its an awesome idea and bonus feature to the REAPER community.

I'll give it a try as a new user it will be a super challenge to develop workflow!

I can definitely say that the contest does speed up the learning curve a good amount. ANY little thing that I have need to know has been available with little more than asking a question or watching one of the Kenny G Videos (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php) and I am off and running.

I can't even imagine what I'll have Reaper doing in a year from now... (https://youtu.be/Go2tvKf8pAE)

Gotta say the Feedback portion is a huge bennifit also.

Happy Mixing!

D Rocks
04-08-2018, 04:42 AM
Oh yes thats awesome man. There are some paid monthly subscriptions elsewhere for these contests and I feel like this one here is even better.

Not_Here
04-10-2018, 10:55 PM
Just when you think you're done... Dang it!
Accordions and Banjos
- Images of horrible school recitals, mixed with a trip in a canoe in the deep forest?

I WILL make everyone I know listen to this at Christmas!

dug dog
04-11-2018, 06:44 AM
I WILL make everyone I know listen to this at Christmas!

Just don't make them watch the video.... a bit of a downer compared to the song.
BYOB- Bring Your Own Banjo

kgarello
04-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Just don't make them watch the video.... a bit of a downer compared to the song.
BYOB- Bring Your Own Banjo

Gotta guzzle that Jameson on Christmas!

DaveKeehl
04-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Has this thread become a meeting for alcoholics anonymous? :D

Ok I start.

Hi, my name Dave and haven’t touched a single bottle of Jameson in 6 months.

Not_Here
04-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Hi, I'm Dave too, and I haven't touched any Jameson...Because it would have to share the counter top with my Bunnahabhain.
Umm which I have for, ummm, purely aesthetic reasons... and medicinal.... and just in case I need to have a toast with those flippin little Leprechauns that keep showing up everytime I start mixing this song...
Wait.. what was the question?

D Rocks
04-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Hey guys,

I've loaded in the project tonight and mixed for 3 hours straigt haha! It's so fun to listen to this song. I like the mood and groove. Its a big challenge for mixing as it got many sounds compeeting the voice range. But man I like this contest.

Dex
04-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Sorry to bother by asking again, but why aren't we allowed to glue anything? I've done a few splits to make the mixing easier and want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules, hah.

Not_Here
04-12-2018, 10:34 PM
Sorry to bother by asking again, but why aren't we allowed to glue anything? I've done a few splits to make the mixing easier and want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules, hah.

If I'm understanding all this Reapin' stuff: If we split a media file then Glue it back together we create a new media file (.flac, .wav, etc..)
which we would then have to upload with our final mix and .rpp file.

Also helps keep our upload size smaller so that the contest doesn't eat up a huge amount of server space (my guess on that)

Also too if none of us have glued any track splits, then we all have an identical set of files. Which is cool at feedback time. All I would have to do to show what I did is post my .rpp file and anybody could load up my session with no fuss no muss. Dig? :)

I'm sure there are other administrative reasons :::cough Dave cough::::
too that I may not be fully aware..

If you're not wanting to accidently move a file out of time (ask me how I know) then you can lock the file after you do what ever needs doing.. Then it wont budge a ms..

How do I get rid of all these damn Leprechauns?!

Dex
04-12-2018, 11:16 PM
I didn't know that gluing actually created new wav files. That makes sense.

g4greg
04-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Is there a native EBU meter in reaper... Or a JS to set it to -14?

I have one, but it ain't native...

Not_Here
04-14-2018, 11:24 PM
We can use a 3rd party EBU to set LUFS
I've been using You Lean (https://www.kvraudio.com/product/youlean-loudness-meter-by-youlean)

I think on the contest site it has links to a couple others also

g4greg
04-15-2018, 01:23 AM
We can use a 3rd party EBU to set LUFS
I've been using You Lean (https://www.kvraudio.com/product/youlean-loudness-meter-by-youlean)

I think on the contest site it has links to a couple others also

oh, OK! cool.. Thanks! :)

It's fine.. I've got the TB one. I was just trying to use something native.

Isn't this month's song a blast or what? I'm whistling it and singing it at work, and all my co-workers are wondering WTF I'm singing lol!

I learnt a lot about mixing because of this little beauty. Thanks a million for holding this contest!

Olli H
04-15-2018, 05:56 AM

I use Reaper’s SWS Loudness-analyser to match ”-14 LUFS integrated” target.

First I render the file, import it automatically to session and then let the Loudness-calculator to calculate the file. That way I doesn't have to listen the whole song again and again.

Dex
04-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Submitted! Neat song. I'm very much looking forward to listening and seeing how everyone else handled it!

DaveKeehl
04-16-2018, 01:32 AM
I'm sure there are other administrative reasons :::cough Dave cough::::
too that I may not be fully aware..

Nah, just that ;)

geraintluff
04-17-2018, 05:27 AM
Is there a native EBU meter in reaper... Or a JS to set it to -14?

I found one implemented in JSFX: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140881.

If you already have one, I presume it's fine to use it to adjust the levels of other effects, then remove your one afterwards. (I wanted a JSFX one for portability/security reasons.)

DaveKeehl
04-17-2018, 02:02 PM
WEBSITE UPDATE:

I added a chat on the website! It does pretty much the same thing as the contact page but it's a bit more user-friendly and you can chat directly with me for any issue you encounter!

Can you please go on the website and see if you also see any text Italian in the chat? I'm trying to understand how to change the language of some predefined stuff but no luck until now.

Dex
04-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Here's what I see (USA)

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33483&stc=1&d=1524001389

dug dog
04-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Scrivi qui il tuo messagio....

EDIT: Dex beat me to it.

DaveKeehl
04-17-2018, 02:46 PM
It means "write here your message...". But I can't find where to change the language. That field is not editable.
Has anyone ever built a website with wix and is able to help me? Otherwise I'll probably write to the help desk.

D Rocks
04-17-2018, 03:06 PM

Isn't this month's song a blast or what? I'm whistling it and singing it at work, and all my co-workers are wondering WTF I'm singing lol!

I learnt a lot about mixing because of this little beauty. Thanks a million for holding this contest!

Lol nice one me too. Its sticks in my head!!

Not_Here
04-18-2018, 10:08 PM
It gets great looks from people when I pull up to stoplights and have it at about 102db. Good times!

D Rocks
04-19-2018, 05:20 AM
It gets great looks from people when I pull up to stoplights and have it at about 102db. Good times!

Hahaha awesome mostly in non christmas times haha

Btw Ill be finishing my mix attempt tonight :p

DaveKeehl
04-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Ok this is the first time I actually give up mixing a song. I can't seem to get rid of all the sibilances of the lead vocals and my ears can't bear it anymore.

Not_Here
04-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Ok this is the first time I actually give up mixing a song. I can't seem to get rid of all the sibilances of the lead vocals and my ears can't bear it anymore.

Nooooooo! say it isn't so! :)

But I know what you mean.. Dude has a voice that's been ripped apart with drink and smoke. It IS authentically - Irish smoke filled pub vocals huh? Dig it!

I figure I'll turn in what ever I have done by deadline. I am not a mastering engineer, so it is what it is...
But it has been a great teaching tool and actually a fun song to work on instrument-wise. Well... That damn Ride cymbals bell make me want to scream.

Fergler
04-19-2018, 05:16 PM
I made some production decisions right at the beginning... hope no one minds. Sleighbells didn't feel right yet and the banjo timing was not good.

Not_Here
04-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Timing? uh oh.....

There was timing in this little ditty? :D

Irish sleighbells are NOT American jingle bells...

And how many keys was this song in at once? :)

D Rocks
04-19-2018, 10:02 PM
woo hoo just uploaded my participation on the website :D

Thanks for this opporunity it was very nice and it gets me into the real thing for my first steps in Reaper. I'm used to Cubase.. All my muscle memory is wierd now since its not the same software haha :D Gotta get used to it.

Good night

Not_Here
04-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Whale-oil-beef-hooked

In spite of these damn little Leprechauns runnin around like they own the place -

Submitted now before they make me mess it up again. for the like 4th time. Thank the Saints for save every few minutes. Totally saved me being able to start again where I was on Monday night. You know what they say, Third time's a charm.
Now be gone you wee lil beasties! git! scram! kick rocks!

:D

DaveKeehl
04-20-2018, 06:50 AM
Can you guys check on the website if you see the submissions page and the chat still in Italian? It should be in English now

Olli H
04-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Can you guys check on the website if you see the submissions page and the chat still in Italian? It should be in English now

In english to me

g4greg
04-20-2018, 04:07 PM

Noooo! I was looking forward to it :(

Kenny Gioia's video on de-essing saved my life for this song.. but yeah, it's like he actually pronounces his esses LOUDER than actually trying to control them. Very hard to deal with :(.. A few hints on mic technique wouldn't hurt him at all..

I usually slap on my favorite de-esser, and forget about it.. But it's not native, so I had to get creative...

His technique of side-chaining reaEQ with reacomp saved my arse big time here :)

Can't wait to hear the other mixes.. this bad boy wasn't easy by any means, but it was very instructive :)

Not_Here
04-20-2018, 08:35 PM
+1 on the Kenny De-Essing video.... I kinda like knowing how to do that with an eq and comp on a side channel, and how to do it manually too.
De-essing plugin? phooooey.... :cool:

g4greg
04-21-2018, 01:23 AM
+1 on the Kenny De-Essing video.... I kinda like knowing how to do that with an eq and comp on a side channel, and how to do it manually too.
De-essing plugin? phooooey.... :cool:

Like I said, I learned a lot while mixing this beast... And Sidechaining an EQ to a compressoer for de-essing is one of them.

I'm not so sure I'm going to use my good ole de-esser again as well..
I really like the control the reaplugs offer.

D Rocks
04-21-2018, 04:34 AM
Like I said, I learned a lot while mixing this beast... And Sidechaining an EQ to a compressoer for de-essing is one of them.

I'm not so sure I'm going to use my good ole de-esser again as well..
I really like the control the reaplugs offer.

Haha I get you!! Before coming to Reaper I bought like 1000 dollar of plugins and now I regret almost all my purchases because of Reapercan do anything hahah..... sad for my wallet but good news for Reaper

dug dog
04-21-2018, 08:09 AM
For me, learning about everything that's available natively in Reaper has been one of the greatest benefits of this contest.

g4greg
04-21-2018, 05:21 PM
For me, learning about everything that's available natively in Reaper has been one of the greatest benefits of this contest.

Indeed!

I mean, I was already using reaEQ and reacomp in every single mix as my "channel strips".. But these babies can do so much more..

This contest really teaches you how things work instead of just using something without fully understanding it... like a "vintage" plug, or X model of compressor, "because it sounds good.. I dunno why, but it sounds good."

When it's all said and done, I will still use a few 3rd party plugs, but I will also understand how they work a lot more :)

IMHO, the only real thing I found was missing is a good native convolution reverb. Yes, we can load an IR in reaverb, but there's a lot less control over the reverb when you do that. Reaverbate convo ain't quite good enough compared to... Umm my not so expensive, but paid for reverb that I missed dearly for this mix..

is there a killer JS reverb that I'm unaware of?

Olli H
04-22-2018, 06:12 AM
THanks for the submissions file.

Track number 5 was wrong song, so we're left with 13 songs to judge.

Quite difficult to find winners this time. Esses were problematic to most of the submissions. As if the singer is constantly opening a new Guinness. But otherwise mixes are quite well done. Nice variation in overall sounds.

DaveKeehl
04-22-2018, 06:28 AM
Track number 5 was wrong song, so we're left with 13 songs to judge

I know, I've already contacted the user and hopefully he'll send me the correct file

DaveKeehl
04-22-2018, 06:56 AM
Man, that singer needs to go on rehab...

DaveKeehl
04-22-2018, 06:59 AM
is there a killer JS reverb that I'm unaware of?

Not that I know. When I don’t use 3rd party reverb plugins, I usually grab ReaVerb with some good external IRs.

D Rocks
04-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Wow congrats on how well managed this contest is. I really like the display for submissions on the website very nice.

And I think ID 14 is the one who was most angry at the esses and smashed the De Esser :D

very hard to tell on first listen on a cellphone speaker! You can mostly hear différences in drums and guitars balance

g4greg
04-22-2018, 02:59 PM
wow, this is going to be a tough one to judge..

I'm definitely not winning this one, but there's at least 5-6 mixes who deserve the big honors.

I think it's going to get down to our own personnal taste on instrument placement, and minute little details in the mix.

Not_Here
04-22-2018, 07:59 PM
+1

What g4greg said...

This is one heck of a voting round.
I gotta say, hearing all of the different choices of placement and some of the editing at the beginning and ends, It's a tough choice to say who's is better. I mean within this song there was enough material for individual stlyes to come through and totally change the feel of the song. I really like that. I liked hearing choices made, that I did not even think to do... Creativity really showed in this mix group.

Guess I better git to listenin Boyos!:D

hwhalen
04-23-2018, 10:06 PM
After a little listening...me thinks that this one may come down to the artistic choices.
One thing I don't particular enjoy is the decision to leave in the first breath. That's on me...whatever.
I had a good little chuckle with #4's decision to have a little fun with the ending.
As this song would never be a hit single...except at Christmas in Ireland assuming that most listeners enjoy a wee dram and a Guinness as well as a quick puff I'll make me choices.

May the best mix win...and to all a good night!

DaveKeehl
04-24-2018, 01:21 AM
This song is the perfect example of what is too much. You can't have all those instruments and expect to be able to hear everything super clear, something has to be left away because there are just too many clashing frequencies.
The guitars weren't even recorded properly and were a bit out of time.

I don't know what I would do if somebody came to my studio with such a song to produce :D

g4greg
04-24-2018, 02:54 AM
This song is the perfect example of what is too much. You can't have all those instruments and expect to be able to hear everything super clear, something has to be left away because there are just too many clashing frequencies.
The guitars weren't even recorded properly and were a bit out of time.

I don't know what I would do if somebody came to my studio with such a song to produce :D

I think this is the exact reason I find the judging so interesting. Almost everyone took a different path because they just had to leave some stuff out, so the mixes are really, really different from each other.. I like that!

But yeah, I'm not saying this one was easy to mix. I swore pretty often at everyone for not keeping with the tempo and going off tune... ripped my hair at every SSSSSSS the singer spat in the mic, but hey, that's part of the fun!

However, I was really blown away by some of the mixes out there, which had a completely different.... Dare I say elegant solution to our common problem :)

DaveKeehl
04-29-2018, 02:04 PM
The results are in. Come back tomorrow to know who won ;)

Not_Here
04-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Suspense.....

Tic toc tic toc...

What a crazy month's mix. I'm dying to see the results!

D Rocks
04-30-2018, 04:48 AM
Ohh guys im so sorry that I am late to vote!! I listenned twice to every mix but forgot to vote this weekend. My apologies. You guys had great mixes it was one of the most satisfying mixing experience I had in years because of the comparison and sharing we have around the same song.

jonboper
04-30-2018, 05:33 AM
Ohh guys im so sorry that I am late to vote!! I listenned twice to every mix but forgot to vote this weekend. My apologies. You guys had great mixes it was one of the most satisfying mixing experience I had in years because of the comparison and sharing we have around the same song.

I missed the vote too, but will have some comments...listening to this song? Uf. No offense to whoever picked it/made it, but this was not fun to listen to over and over, so I didn't.

DaveKeehl
04-30-2018, 07:16 AM

Hey Alex, don't worry haha shit happens xD however even if you had voted, the winner would have won anyway ;)

DaveKeehl
04-30-2018, 07:20 AM
I missed the vote too, but will have some comments...listening to this song? Uf. No offense to whoever picked it/made it, but this was not fun to listen to over and over, so I didn't.

I hear you man, I wanted to participate this month but that song got on my nerves so much that I simply gave up

DaveKeehl
04-30-2018, 04:12 PM
Here I am with the results...

The winner is...

*drumroll*

g4greg! He was able not only to tell that drunk fella to chill the fuck out, but also to win the contest this month! Well done!
As always you're kindly invited to go and pick a sing of you liking from here (http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm). Send me a PM when you're done!

Updated analytics (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tLbEImh7ZU9LDJKmHPnTYnA08F5j2NbprnbeP-i3DtA) (click it)

Complete rankings:

https://stash.reaper.fm/33480/reapercontest_april2018_results.png

Grass is now leading with 35 points, second is Olli H with 29 points and third is Darjama with 27.

New Top 10:

https://stash.reaper.fm/33481/april_generalranking.png

g4greg
04-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Here I am with the results...

The winner is...

*drumroll*

g4greg! He was able not only to tell track that drunk fella to chill the fuck out, but also to win the contest this month! Well done!

Whaaa? I thought I didn't control that drunk vocalist's SSSSSSSSSSSSS's well enough compared to other guys, and I thought I messed up on enough things to get booted out of the top 3, but THANKS EVERYONE! I totally don't deserve it :)

IMHO, the voting was way more difficult than the mixing itself.. I took exhaustive notes on every single mix, only to throw them in the garbage on my second listening....

I finally went with the very scientific method of listening to all the mixes on random shuffle while doing housework, and voting for the ones that annoyed me the less LOL

IMHO, Grass, Djarma and Olli's mixes were superior to mine...

Should I post my listening notes? Even if in the end I went for different mixes?

EDIT- I just took a look at the analytics, and fun fact: this month was the first month with lesser votes than mixes. People got that sick of listening to it eh? LOL! I understand though ;)

Dex
04-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Man, tough competition this round! Thanks to whoever voted for me. It's nice to get a point. Hah.

For what it's worth here are my notes from listening to everything twice - first on speakers then on headphones. I'm not very good at this stuff so take all this with a grain of salt. Also I've noticed I'm a lot better at writing down things that bother me rather than things that I like, so I hope these don't sound too harsh...

1 - first thing I noticed was a lot of reverb on the lead vocal, and it sounds too nasal. The sleighbells dropping out abruplty when the first chorus comes in makes the chorus feel less full than the verse. Throughout the song the chorus continues to be at a lower energy levels than the verses. Flute sounds good in the third verse. Liked it when the sleighbells came back in for the bridge. I barely hear that ride cymbal bell, which is probably the best way to treat it. Hah. I feel like the vocals are a little loud toward the end.

2 - Vocals are too far back. Instruments are nice and clear. Backing vox are clear and at a good level but kind of boringly placed in the mix. Something's wrong with a drum hit at 1:21 - is the tom fader just too loud? Lead vox are at an appropriate level starting at 2:56 (which is when I think the lead vocal should be moved back a bit). Vocal at 2:33 was not fixed. Decent mix but I felt it was kind of flat throughout - no excitement and no variation in levels to keep the listener interested.

3 - Nice and warm at the beginning, although I think the cello should be centered. Also those cymbals sound strangely nasal. Autoharp and flute are too loud at the end.

4 - Good warm opening but then too much bass and cymbal ringing in first verse and throughout the rest of the tune. Turn the bass down 3-6 db, drums down a little, and raise the backing vox a touch and I think this one is in good shape. I feel like it's really rockin' toward the end.

5 - I'm glad I checked the website. This is nicely done. I especially appreciate how you moved the lead vox back at 3:00.

6 - Background vox are too loud, drowing everything else out when they come in. Song overall is fairly muddy/unclear, especially the ending. Needs more separation between the instruments.

7 - Too thin at the beginning. That poor cello :p. Drums are nice and well-defined when they come in. I think the accordian and vocals are fighting a bit during the verses. Wish the bridge heading into the final chorus had more energy. Ending is pretty good but I feel the constant cymbal splashing around at the end is too loud.

8 - Ends of vocal phrases are cut off too hard. Vocal levels are inconsistent too, although I liked the edge on the vocals going into the second chorus. Sleighbells coming back in the final bridge are jarring and somehow cause the overall eq level to change as everything fights for space.

9 - I hear the high end of the kick drum too much, and not enough of its low end. Try rebalancing the eq on the kick, and lower the level of the bass. Notch the bass around the low-frequency content of the kick if you find them competing too much. IIRC on this song it's around 80hz. Reverb tails on vocals are too audible and overall mix is too bass/mid heavy. Vocal at 2:33 was not fixed.

10 - This one has nice punch to it and audible but not too much bass. I feel like I'm detecting a little too much reverb, especially when they get to the Guinness part. Bridge is handled well although the sleighbells are a little too loud for my tastes in the final chorus.

11 - Beginning is good. First chorus: Background vox are barely audible! I actually went back to check that they were actually there and my mind wasn't just filling them in. I feel that the instruments are mixed fairly well but the mix is flat from left to right with little front-to-back depth. Actually this is a problem with most of the mixes. Second verse: Some of the lead vocals are sticking out a bit too far. Vocals at 3:00 are sticking out way too far.

12 - Too much fighting between the bass and cello for the low end, and not enough high end information, but other than that this one is pretty good. Maybe a little too much reverb.

13 - Pretty good. Bass drum sounds a little flappy. Very similar to entry 10.

14 - Mine.

jonboper
04-30-2018, 08:36 PM
Should I post my listening notes? Even if in the end I went for different mixes?

Shouldn't be a question, but please do. I think we're all trying to understand what we're hearing, public opinion be dammed, but in your case, public opinion be hailed! Haha. Well done.

I'm sure people will appreciate the response, whatever it is.

Olli H
04-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Here’s my subjective comments. If I were to do these again, I might end up to other kind of notes and different results.

If I say that something is too bright or too dark, I calibrated my ears with these two diffferent top quality references:
Green Day: American Idiot
Mumford & Sons: I Will Wait.
I levelled those to -15 LUFS so it was easy to switch from contest mixes to my references

Overall comment: all mixes were pretty nicely balanced and well done. It was difficult to choose winners from them. I should have concentrated more on positive aspects, but for some reason it was easier to find winners by finding problems. For that reason my comments are more picky than praising. Sorry for that. I just wanted to find a fast method to find my winners.

I looped the same parts of each mix and jumped from one mix to another. I listened mainly these parts:
1. second verse
2. second chorus
3. Stop + Guinness
4. Loud ending
Guinness part was interesting to listen as it showed clearly some problems with the use of reverb. The tail of the reverb is clearly audible there.

Second verse: Good, strong balanced sound, personally I’d prefer to hear more acoustic instruments.
Vox has a little bit too much different room than the band
Second chorus: Background voice work nicely
Stop + Guinness:
Loud outro: Loud end very well done
Overall sound a bit bass heav y.

Second verse: Nice smooth sound, Vox a little bit undefined and buried
Second chorus: Bg-howling a bit too piercinng in some notes
Stop + Guinness: Nice stop and guinness
Loud outro: Cymbal accents too separate from the rest of the band
Overall sound doesn’t open optimally because the contrast of dark vox and bright string instruments.
Although I’m just complaining, still: TOP

Second verse: Quite good one, but groove is not rolling optimally, WHen I start to listen to the snare, after that i don’t hear anything else, and it feels like driving to street pumps:
snare feels a bit too strong and dominating. But sound is well done. Sounds like a sample
Nice vox sound, except esses
Second chorus: Background voice work nicely
Stop + Guinness: UNnatural space with guinness
Loud outro: autoharp too dominant
Overall sound is a bit muddy.

Second verse: Nice acoustic sound. Suits nice the arrangement.
Overall sound too bright, if compared to my references. Hi-frequency content maybe a bit too restless especially in choruses, causes fatique. mix is otherwise very well done, right mastering would probably correct the fatique-issue.
De-essing needed
Stop + Guinness: works fine
Overall sound maybe too ”smiley”

Wrong song

Second verse: Bit suffocated sound,
Second chorus: background burst out too loud.
Vox is a bit behind a blanket
Stop + Guinness: GuInness sounds too much like essses
Loud outro: Loud part could be stronger, now pipes and bg-choir lead too much

Second verse: Nice natural sound, acoustic instruments could be a bit nearer
Second chorus: Ride cymbal too piercing
Stop + Guinness: NIce Guinness
Loud outro: Cymbal accents too loud
Overall sound a bit messy, probably caused by busy and stringy snare

My mix

Second verse an chorus: Smooth sound, but maybe too smooth. As if there’s a blanket laid over speakers. Could be a question of too bright monitors/room.
Bass has too much reverb, undefined bass
De-essing needed
Stop + Guinness: GUInness nice but too long unnatural reverb tail in overall sound
Loud outro: Is whistle too loud in loud part?

10 + 13 SAME MIX TWICE
Second verse and chorus: Too much hi-frequency energy. Too big space, overall sound becomes a bit unfocused. On the other hand now it sound like live session.
De-essing needed in choruses
Stop + Guinness: Unnatural noisy Guinness
Loud outro: Christmas bells too loud
Overall: Pretty good and natural

Second verse: Nice and balanced,
Second chorus: nice acustically driven beat
Grows nicely from smooth verse to loud chorus, nice transitions from part to another
De-essing needed
Stop + Guinness: Nice Guinness, but unnatural tail with band sound
Loud outro: Focused strong sound, whistle quite loud
Overall: vox feels a bit weak, it’s not leading the song, but the band sounds very nice. I like the natural groove created by close string instruments

Second verse: nice and balanced, but mandolin is quite loud on the right sound without balancing high-frequency element on left side.
Second chorus: Ride too loud and piercing in otherwise smooth band sound
Bg howling quite loud
Stop + Guinness: well done
Loud outro: Drums too far, they could have a stronger role when things get rough

Second verse: Nice drum dominated ”small room” sound in verses, maybe too compressed
Second chorus: De-essing needed, esses spoil the chorus.
Stop + Guinness: Guinneess sound too much like esses, room tail of the band maybe a bit too short. Now it dies unnaturally.
Loud outro: Focused strong sound
Nicely controlled hi-end.
Vox feels a bit separate from the band
Bass/low end is mixed quite low and mix is quite mid-rangey. Probably for that reason it feels a bit louder than those mixes with more balanced low end.

g4greg
04-30-2018, 11:44 PM
DISCLAIMER: these are the notes I wrote the first times I listened to the songs, and I changed my mind a bit since then.

Mix 1:

The reverb and delay on the vocals are a little too dominant compared to the instruments, which makes it sound a little too “not in the same room”.

I really like how the jingle bells are dominant in the mix. I didn’t do that, and I should have :)

The bass could use a little more corrective EQ in the mid frequencies.

Overall, a really solid mix. I really like the panning choices as well.

Mix 2:

Not sure I like the panning on the jingle bells…

The vocals could be a bit more up front. I think there’s a bit too much reverb on it, which makes them sound “far away”. the esses are not super well controlled, even for this super hard to control signer.

I really like the banjo/mandolin panning/levels.

The back vocals could be panned a little more evenly.

The overall EQing on individual tracks is pretty well done.. there’s room for everything in the spectrum. The song never sounds “crowded” or “messy.”

Another solid mix. Man this is going to be hard to judge!

Mix 3:

The banjo/mandolin/bells are slightly out of sync at the beginning.. I know, it’s the performers’ fault, but it’s our job to fix those things..

The drums sound really good, with the snare being a hair too compressed.. But I like it!

The back track sometimes bury the lead vocals, especially the flute, which is a bit too loud and overpowers everything else..

The mix is more “wide open” than the first two. I suspect a few unholy things on the master bus, but they work well :) When it gets busy at the end, it becomes a bit mushy.

Good mix.. sounds better overall than 1 and 2…. but 1 had a few very good mixing choices…

Mix 4: mine

I think I dropped the ball at the mastering stage… I added a bit to much high end with the exciter, and it sounds a bit harsh… It also made the esses and cymbal sizzle pop out even more..

The flute is too loud, and I was gun shy with the bass..
I compressed the drum overheads a bit too much. The cymbals sounds “splashy”.
I hope someone notices my little edits after the guy says “merry fucking Christmas!” It was childish, but I had a blast :)

The vocals could be a hair louder at the end… and I didn’t control the esses as well as some other guys.

The fiddle is out of sync in the 2nd half DAMMIT! How could I have missed that!

Mix 5:

Wow, that’s a lot of reverb on the bells!

I really like how the lead vocals are “in your face” I do the same, and I just like it that way.

I really, really like how the back vocals are mixed and panned. Yes, they overpower the band, but it’s for the greater good.

The EQ and panning are really on point. You can hear everything the engineer wants us to hear.
The drums sound amazing.

Not sure I like how the lead vocals got pulled back when he starts belting, but it doesn’t hurt the song too much :)

Mix 6:

The lead vocals are a little over-processed.. They sound “out of the song”. they could be a couple Dbs louder as well..

The back vocals are louder than the main… as a matter of fact, they are louder than the whole mix, including the drums… Not sure it’s a good strategy.

The drums sound good, but they could be a bit more up front…

Mix 7:

Again, lots of reverb on the bells!

The vocals are nice and dry, I like I like them. The esses could be controlled a bit better, but then again, I tried really hard, and didn’t do much of a better job :)

The bass could be EQed and compressed a little better.
Not sure I like how the accordion and fiddle are the instruments we hear the most..

There could be a bit more separation between all the instruments.. A little more EQ and panning could help.

The kicks sound good, but the snare could be a bit more up front.

Another solid mix, it could sound a little “wider”

Mix 8:

Nice intro. There are quite a of bit effects on the main vocals, but they are nice and subtle, like they should be. Me like:) The esses could be controlled a bit better, but then again.. that’s a hard thing to do here..

Man does the mix sound good! We can hear everything the engineer wants us to listen to. And it comes back in and out of the mix at the right time. The EQing, compression and automations for every single instrument is just spot on

Oh man, are the jingle bells well punched in!

Everything sounds , clear, nice and in your face. But not harsh. The guy who mixed this mixed a lot of stuff, and knows what he’s doing

The snare could be a hair louder, but that’s just IMHO

Mix 9

Wow, that’s a lot of reverb on the vocals… Welcome to the 80’s lol.

The kicks sound like the kick drums of a death metal band.. not sure it fits well here. The snare could be a bit more in front, and the overheads are super aggressively gated and compressed.

Whoever mixed those drums probably mixed a lot of metal, because they would sound awesome in that context.

I really like the panning and EQing of the instruments. The mix is wide and clear and nothing is buried.

Overall, this is a great mix, with everything at its place.. I’m just not fond of the kicks which make me quite distracted.

There is a bit too much reverb overall, which makes the mix a bit “soft”. On the other hand, there are so many harsh sounding things in there that it may help the overall “ear pleasing” aspect of the mix.

The vocals sit super well on the song, as well as the drums.. perfect levels.

The drums are super wide and well panned, but everything else sounds “in the middle”, with very little difference in instrument position. Panning a few more things towards the edges would help a lot for the wideness, me thinks.. But then again, that would probably affect how wide the drums sound.. hmm…

Really, really good sounding mix overall.

The vocals are a little too low in the mix.

I really like the sound of the mandolin, accordion and acoustic guitar. They sound very natural. Putting those 3 as lead instruments was a very good choice.

The drums are too quiet IMHO. I know they don’t sound fantastic, but they should still be a bit louder.. Then again, that would probably compromise that beautiful guitar/mandolin/accordion sound….

Overall, if the vocals would be louder, I think I could forget about the drums being a bit too quiet..

There’s a bit too much verb on the vocals to my taste.. But it’s not distracting.

I like the how the flute/mandolin/accordion/violin alternate as lead instruments, and I love their panning choices.. It’s amazing how many different choices were made with this mix!

The mix is crystal clear and competes with my first pick….Damn which one sounds better? They both have their strong sides!

Nice bass sound.. not sure I like the panning on the accordion, but the banjo is nice and clear.. at the cost of the mandolin..

The vocals and drums sit super well on the song. Juuust right.

Man, why didn’t I throw in those bells on the bridge, many guys did it, and it sounds awesome!

The 2nd half of the song sounds amazing. Everything is very well controlled in what could be a total mess.

I like dry mixes, but this one is a bit too dry.

Not sure I like the bass sound. The drums sound nice and punchy, but there’s no definition in the other instruments.. no real lead.. It’s like” drums, vocals, bass…….. and the rest of the instruments all mashed together..” selective EQ on a track basis to separate the instruments and more drastic panning would have been a good idea.

Olli H
05-01-2018, 02:23 AM
An idea to think about:

How about opening the commeting phase AFTER the voting is done but a couple of days BEFORE the results are published

g4greg
05-01-2018, 02:33 AM
An idea to think about:

How about opening the commeting phase AFTER the voting is done but a couple of days BEFORE the results are published

I like this idea a lot :)

We could make the voting period a couple days shorter..

Not_Here
05-01-2018, 11:42 PM
What would reading comments before results improve?

Olli H
05-02-2018, 01:22 AM
What would reading comments before results improve?
Maybe nothing,
- but I personally prefer to give comments before knowing the results.
- And also in some cases comments are more honest if one doesn't know whose mix one is commenting.
- It might also affect content of comments if one knows the results. One might end up changing one's comments based on results
- And those who don't want to comment others for any reason, they still might reveal their guesses about winners.

Not_Here
05-02-2018, 07:17 AM
I see.. I for one take my notes during the voting stage, so I don't know who will be winning.
I personally do not go back and change what I may have said, I'm honestly listening and commenting, why would I change a comment after I see what placed where. I suppose participants are already allowed to guess on a winner, but I don't see a lot of that going on currently.

I'm already waiting for this month's selection. I think something that gets us back to mixing faster though is an interesting proposal. I've read my feed back, and incorporated advice and am ready to get going on next project. I have learned a LOT from the feed back I have received that's for sure! Awesome contest.

DaveKeehl
05-02-2018, 07:28 AM
I have a few concerns about this idea:

In particular, it messes up quite a bit with the current flow of events. Right now it's very easy for new users to understand how the contest is structured:

- mixing
- voting
- results
- feedback

Now, if we put the feedback session after the voting has closed and before the results are announced, I feel that would confuse a lot of people that randomly browse through the forum and stumble upon this thread.
Some might not agree but I tried to have the contest as streamlined as possible.

Also, I don't want the users to be constrained to share feedback in a very short span of time.

PLUS, I don't really want to change what's on the website :D

DaveKeehl
05-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Some of you might already know because they read it on facebook, but now our website is affilitated with IK Multimedia. That means that you'll start seeing ads and we'll be able to give you promo codes :)

Not_Here
05-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Which website? The contest site or this forum?

DaveKeehl
05-02-2018, 04:10 PM
ID 01

Good de-essing
Too much space effect on the vocals
Some instruments could be a bit more panned
Generally pleasent to listen to, good balace slightly too much towards the left
Some automation couldn't hurt

ID 02

Vox definitely too quite (the instruments are louder)
De-essing could be better
Nice panning
Instruments too loud on the sides
Unbalanced back vox (if they are panned left and right, the right is too quite)
Drums are hidden
Bass frequencies should be louder
Didn't like the bells on the right at the beginning

ID 03

Nice drums (really nice kick and snare sound!) but should be a bit louder
Voice too quite
Flute too loud
The mix has potential but feels unfinished
T bass is hard to hear

ID 04

Nice stereo spread
Voice too quite
The snare should be louder
The bass can be heard but it's a bit muffled
The back vox could be louder and spread

ID 05

Voice way too quite
Good volume balance
Quite nice stereo spread
Instruments on the sides a bit too loud compared to the main vox

ID 06

Weird eq on vox
Eq curve on the mix is almost flat
The mix is almost mono at times
The drums are too hidden (the snare should drag the listener)
The mix sounds like it's coming out from a little radio, it sounds small

ID 07

Kick too subby
Violin too loud
Interesting bells at the beginning
The main vox should be more exciting
Almost flat master eq curve

ID 08

Almost no difference volume between sections
Flat master eq curve
Too much esss
Vox sounds weird
Nice stereo spread (could be wider though)

ID 09

Wrong eq for the kick (sounds like a metal kick, I would have put the snare on front, not the kick)
Vox could be louder
Nice wide mix
Back vox could be wider
Some instruments are too hidden
Didn't like the automation on the bells

ID 10

Panned reverb on bells sounds weird (cool in some situations but not here)
Nice energy and balance
Vox could be louder but still in a good spot
The snare could be louder
Bells at the end sound harsh

ID 11

Wrong volume balance
Sounds like a rough mix
Not exciting
Nice stereo spread though

ID 12

Nice drums
The snare fights with the voice I think
Vox could be louder
Sides are too loud compared to the main vox

ID 13

Too much esss
Nice feeling
Weird eq on voice
Eq balance could be better
The flute is way off (you must have moved the file while mixing)

ID 14

Nice beginning
Nice snare
Weird balance
Too much esss
Flat master eq
Voice could be more exciting

DaveKeehl
05-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Which website? The contest site or this forum?

The contest website

g4greg
05-02-2018, 07:28 PM
ID 01

Good de-essing
Too much space effect on the vocals
Some instruments could be a bit more panned
Generally pleasent to listen to, good balace slightly too much towards the left
Some automation couldn't hurt

ID 04

Nice stereo spread
Voice too quite
The snare should be louder
The bass can be heard but it's a bit muffled
The back vox could be louder and spread

[/list]

You bit the bullet and listened to this drunk singer 14 more times, eh? I thank you for enduring the torture. It's for the greater good :)

Seriously though, I wish more critics would turn up... I'm in it to learn, not to win....

Olli was really on point with his critics, and so did you :)

Also, checking out other guys .rpp files is really, REALLY interesting.

Not_Here
05-02-2018, 07:29 PM
:)Just tell them you'd like the promo code for a free upgrade to the new Amplitube they are releasing. :D

And I'll second the critique value of this contest. .rpp files are really cool too, seeing a working example of a mix from a different perspective totally helped me have more confidence in actually "using and working" with Reaper.

This last consensus on my vox reverbs is fantastic because I know I'm getting closer to getting it right. I might have nailed it had I just backed of the volume a little for main vox and had it match better to my overall reverb ( I'm guessing that means keeping a similar eq on the reverbs to give me a consistent sound/feel too)

I would of course not have learned any of this so quickly on my own.
More people would be awesome. It's inspiring to hear everyone else's ideas about how to really make a song jam with some very diligently placed mixing techniques. I think it's called "experience" .....

:)

Dex
05-02-2018, 07:32 PM
I have a few concerns about this idea:

In particular, it messes up quite a bit with the current flow of events. Right now it's very easy for new users to understand how the contest is structured:

- mixing
- voting
- results
- feedback

Now, if we put the feedback session after the voting has closed and before the results are announced, I feel that would confuse a lot of people that randomly browse through the forum and stumble upon this thread.
Some might not agree but I tried to have the contest as streamlined as possible.

Also, I don't want the users to be constrained to share feedback in a very short span of time.

PLUS, I don't really want to change what's on the website :D

Personally I would like to get feedback as soon as possible. The wait from submission to feedback is quite long as things stand IMO, and I don't see a good reason to have to wait until results are posted to give feedback. Actually, isn't feedback mostly an unofficial part of the contest anyway? The stages are really

Mix and submit,
Vote,
Results,

all of which are prominent on the website. On the other hand Feedback is only mentioned once on the website, on the calendar (unless I missed something). It's not like feedback is posted on the website. Why not just have

Mix and submit May 5 - 19
Vote May 20 - 29
Results May 31

and then once voting is closed, make a post in the thread saying "Voting is closed, so feel free to post feedback now."

By the way I *do* appreciate having such a long voting phase. It takes a while to listen to all the renditions of the song (and I like to listen to each one at least twice) and make notes on them. Thanks to everyone else who does the same.

Some of you might already know because they read it on facebook, but now our website is affilitated with IK Multimedia. That means that you'll start seeing ads and we'll be able to give you promo codes

Nice! Well done.

g4greg
05-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Personally I would like to get feedback as soon as possible. The wait from submission to feedback is quite long as things stand IMO, and I don't see a good reason to have to wait until results are posted to give feedback. Actually, isn't feedback mostly an unofficial part of the contest anyway? The stages are really

Mix and submit,
Vote,
Results,

all of which are prominent on the website. On the other hand Feedback is only mentioned once on the website, on the calendar (unless I missed something). It's not like feedback is posted on the website. Why not just have

Mix and submit May 5 - 19
Vote May 20 - 29
Results May 31

and then once voting is closed, make a post in the thread saying "Voting is closed, so feel free to post feedback now."

By the way I *do* appreciate having such a long voting phase. It takes a while to listen to all the renditions of the song (and I like to listen to each one at least twice) and make notes on them. Thanks to everyone else who does the same.

I totally agree with this. Like that, you don't have to change anything on the website.
:)

BTW thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated.

RiffStreet
05-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Still new and trying to get the hang of how this all works. One of the things I noted about the mix that ended up winning this month was that it seemed louder than the others. Can someone please expand on how exactly to get your mix to -14LUFS using the Youlean loudness meter? The FAQ part of the contest website says: "you need to put your loudness meter after your limiter and adjust the threshold on your limiter until you have a solid -14 LUFS (integrated value)." OK but do you have to listen to the song start to finish and get the integrated value to end up at -14 after listening all the way through? Or look for -14 during the loudest parts? Or...? Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

jonboper
05-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Wow, lots of good notes this month.
I don't know if mine will add, but I'll pour em on anyways. Listened with studio monitors while throwing back a few pints...and then a few more. The first notes will definitely be more helpful than the last few and I apologize for that. I struggled with liking the vocals, but some of you did quite well, and I gave extra points for fade-outs because the ending was just begging for it.

ID01: The bass balance is nice, bGuitar line audibly carrying the song along until things get the most busy, then it struggles against the din, but not in a bad way. The initial chime of the shakers is a bit too much, too metallic and shrill, after they drop out it's a relief. Backing vocals are lost, but the lead vocal line sounds pretty great. Needs a fade-out.

ID02: The musicality of the panning, especially with the mandolin-sounding thing to the R, and the backingVox and banjo on the L, super cool. It's a very airy sounding mix, a lot of genteel-sounding instrumentation, and a lowly-mixed, fuzzy bGuitar. Pretty cool overall, but I'm not crazy about the main vox. A little dim with the verb or delay or something, would prefer them dryer. Shaker way too loud by the end. Gets sounding empty when it maybe should cut out.

ID03: The musicality of the panning, especially with the mandolin-sounding thing to the R, and the backingVox and banjo on the L, super cool. It's a very airy sounding mix, a lot of genteel-sounding instrumentation, and a lowly-mixed, fuzzy bGuitar. Pretty cool overall, but I'm not crazy about the main vox. A little dim with the verb or delay or something, would prefer them dryer. Shaker way too loud by the end. Gets sounding empty when it maybe should cut out.

ID04: This is a louder-sounding mix, has more boom on the low-low end and more action up top while beign scooped, but with that i'm loosing some of the definition of all the instrumentation that I know is there from other mixes. Still, not a bad take, and I like the main vocal treatment. Backing vocals are way back, but still kind of there. Gets to sound empty when it maybe should fade out.

ID05: I was so excited to see how short this was. But. Last month's song.

ID06: Low end is punctuated by a hard bDrum bap. But that's not bad, tries to hold together the low end and rhythm, but I feel like the melody of the bGuitar is a little lost in it. The overall mix is pretty good, maybe too much verb or space leaking through, clouding things up, and could use more instrumental definition with panning, not super-spatial. LOVE the fade out.

CONTENDER

Wish the accordian wasn't so loud.

Winner. Best all-around.

ID07: The bGuitar has a nice presence, really audible here. But the vocals have a strange sibilant thing going on that's distracting, I think because of a delay and the naturally spitty quality of the singer's singing style. The little breakdown section has a really nice bounce to it, due to that low end, audible bGuitar and pumping (too loud? almost, or just slightly) bDrum. Needs a fad-out.

ID08: It's a busy song, and this mix doesn't clarify things for me. The overall balance is really pretty good, but the differentiation of parts isn't quite there. But, the bGuitar sits well with the drums, and the stringed things are sitting pretty well. If there wasn't that space on the vocal, muddying up an already muddled performance (not bad per se, just mush-mouthed to the point that spaciness just hurts the situation), I would have enjoyed it much more. Thanks for the fade-out.

ID09: This mix goes at it hard, hard with the bDrum, and hard, unfortunately, with the vocal reverb. All the vox are too wet and muddy, but aside from that, the mix tries to kick it. The drums overall are a little too quiet maybe, but I like the sound of the percussion, well-eqd. Why no fade?

ID10: Really pretty good balance. CONTENDER. God, I hate this song. I'm hearing too many parts in the L speaker, not only the strings, but also the flute-fife-recorder thing. But good interplay of parts. Those shakers, so much metallic bite. Wish the backing Vocs popped a little more. Drums are great.

Thanks for the fade out.

ID11: Bguitar tone a little out-of-control in the verse sections. Main vocal sounds pretty great, considering how much I hate that vocal, really good stuff there, it's stuffed back, unintelligible, but clear. Musicality is pretty good. Bass booms along.

Why no fade-out?

ID12: Good mix with the vocal out front, the low end mixed pretty well, the instruments panned out. CONTENDER(?). Thie main vocal has a distracting spatial effect that is horrible, highliting the most aggravating aspects of the vox.

Fades, but verrrry slowly.

ID13: Not a bad mix at all. Or have I just been beaten down by the song? I think this is a good one. Thanks for the fade. WINNER? That shaker, pretty bitter.

ID14: Pretty sweet beginning, but the vocal is so fuzzy. Sounds like the vocal has a blanket over it.But the high end has a generally favorable sheen over it. Fades out a plus.

Not_Here
05-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Still new and trying to get the hang of how this all works. One of the things I noted about the mix that ended up winning this month was that it seemed louder than the others. Can someone please expand on how exactly to get your mix to -14LUFS using the Youlean loudness meter? The FAQ part of the contest website says: "you need to put your loudness meter after your limiter and adjust the threshold on your limiter until you have a solid -14 LUFS (integrated value)." OK but do you have to listen to the song start to finish and get the integrated value to end up at -14 after listening all the way through? Or look for -14 during the loudest parts? Or...? Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

Right? I often feel like there are about a billion more things I need to know... I personally have been listening to the song either in whole or during a busy/problem area..(there is another method for setting LUFS with out listening I believe, but for now I want to be in on the process so to speak...) I have been using Youlean and have had an easy time of it. I just completed my second contest.
There are a couple of other things to do in addition to youlean and a limiter. But they are not difficult.

Once or twice I had to go back to the mix to fix an errant peak that I missed, and do another render to start setting LUFS.

So, on that note: have you seen this video? (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#0wPnlND92QU) totally worth watching! Kenny is the best at teaching Reaper to us newer users.

I hope this helps!

DaveKeehl
05-04-2018, 11:56 AM
I've been wanting to make a video about lufs for a long time because I see a lot of confusion.

Not_Here
05-04-2018, 05:01 PM
I've been wanting to make a video about lufs for a long time because I see a lot of confusion.

Did you look at the vid I linked above? Uses Youlean and shows how to set meters etc...

g4greg
05-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Right? I often feel like there are about a billion more things I need to know... I personally have been listening to the song either in whole or during a busy/problem area..(there is another method for setting LUFS with out listening I believe, but for now I want to be in on the process so to speak...) I have been using Youlean and have had an easy time of it. I just completed my second contest.
There are a couple of other things to do in addition to youlean and a limiter. But they are not difficult.

Once or twice I had to go back to the mix to fix an errant peak that I missed, and do another render to start setting LUFS.

So, on that note: have you seen this video? (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#0wPnlND92QU) totally worth watching! Kenny is the best at teaching Reaper to us newer users.

I hope this helps!

Yup, Kenny is THE best, and his videos are always a goldmine.

I used Tonebooster's EBU tool, because it's just so damn simple to understand.

One area where I might have "cheated" is by leaving in those bells full length with fade ins and outs. EBU calculates the loudness of the whole song on average. So by leaving long, quiet parts in, I could get the meat of it LOUDER!

This being said, Who in the world voted for me? All the critics that came in were very instructive, and put my mix where it belonged: Below the top 3. And yes, my mix was way too sharp and smiley.. I won't touch that exciter again LOL

Oh well,at least I can guarantee that next month's song won't be as irritating ;)

Not_Here
05-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Yeah um..... next months song. Ummmm.

Or should I say ummagumma-esque? Do they breathe different kind of air in Japan?
:D :D

Still trying to figure this one out.

Dex
05-04-2018, 08:25 PM

I like dry mixes, but this one is a bit too dry.

Not sure I like the bass sound. The drums sound nice and punchy, but there’s no definition in the other instruments.. no real lead.. It’s like” drums, vocals, bass…….. and the rest of the instruments all mashed together..” selective EQ on a track basis to separate the instruments and more drastic panning would have been a good idea.

It was pretty dry because I got tired of messing with the stock reverbs. But thanks to this month's submissions I now have a nice little library of impulses I can use the next time around :)

Also yeah you're exactly right about the other instruments. I fell into the beginner's trap of trying to make all the instruments audible at about the same level and as a result ended up making the whole soundscape boring and poorly defined. I'll do better next time!

g4greg
05-04-2018, 09:51 PM
It was pretty dry because I got tired of messing with the stock reverbs. But thanks to this month's submissions I now have a nice little library of impulses I can use the next time around :)

Also yeah you're exactly right about the other instruments. I fell into the beginner's trap of trying to make all the instruments audible at about the same level and as a result ended up making the whole soundscape boring and poorly defined. I'll do better next time!

When I'm stuck using an impulse reverb (read: When I can't use my go-to reverb plug)

I use the free Bricasti impulses bank. That impulse collection is everything you will ever need, never thought you would need, and won't ever need, all in a neatly organized and easy to understand package.

I highly recommend.
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/

Yeah um..... next months song. Ummmm.

Or should I say ummagumma-esque? Do they breathe different kind of air in Japan?
:D :D

Still trying to figure this one out.

LOL what can I say to defend myself? That beautiful women.... inspire me?

Dex
05-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Nice. Thanks for the IR link!

Not_Here
05-04-2018, 10:58 PM
When I'm stuck using an impulse reverb (read: When I can't use my go-to reverb plug)

I use the free Bricasti impulses bank. That impulse collection is everything you will ever need, never thought you would need, and won't ever need, all in a neatly organized and easy to understand package.

I highly recommend.
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/

LOL what can I say to defend myself? That beautiful women.... inspire me?

Which of the Impulse formats is the one I would want for my Reaper plugins? is it the same as my sample rate of 24bit 48K ? This is yet another bit of the billion new things I'm learning so bare with my basic questions.. :)

You have no need to defend yourself good sir. :) A beautiful woman as a muse is absolutely agreeable.
It's more about my A.D.D. and being able to sit still for the song. Glad it's of the shorter variety!

g4greg
05-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Which of the Impulse formats is the one I would want for my Reaper plugins? is it the same as my sample rate of 24bit 48K ? This is yet another bit of the billion new things I'm learning so bare with my basic questions.. :)

You have no need to defend yourself good sir. :) A beautiful woman as a muse is absolutely agreeable.
It's more about my A.D.D. and being able to sit still for the song. Glad it's of the shorter variety!

the regular 32 bits, 44.1 folder is fine for most computers.. Unless you have a really old machine... Or if you aren't working with REAPER.. But we all are, so there's no problem there ;)

32bits floating is precisely what reaper uses under the hood.

Not_Here
05-05-2018, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the info! this is a pretty spankin new machine too, so no probs with that. Now that I've gone Reaper I can't imagine going back to some TOOLS or Loopy stuff. NO sir... Ain't gonna happen..

Reaper is here to stay. \m/ ôç0 \m/

g4greg
05-05-2018, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the info! this is a pretty spankin new machine too, so no probs with that. Now that I've gone Reaper I can't imagine going back to some TOOLS or Loopy stuff. NO sir... Ain't gonna happen..

Reaper is here to stay. \m/ ôç0 \m/

Yeah, I don't know if this has been fixed, but some other... um.. "tools made for pros" (allegedly) still don't run on 32 bits float, which in turn creates heaps of problems with other plugins and stuff.

So, if you would be using some other "Tools", you would need the 24 bits package.

OK, that's enough fanboyism for one post, so I'll stop.

But I DO love my lil' reaper :)

DaveKeehl
05-05-2018, 12:33 PM
The new thread goes up in a few minutes