PDA

View Full Version : Tormen - 2 Parted

op76
05-28-2008, 10:19 AM
We've been recording our songs in our little garage-studio. 9 songs are almost ready, some misses vocals, and some misses other minor things. Against our singers wish (he would like to do it better...won't we all ), I now announce first piece from our future coming demo/EP/LP.

http://www.tormen.org

Comments please. I know there are some clipping because of mastering EQ, but we try to correct that.

ps. I play all guitars...just in case someone thought to criticize guitar playing :c)

Shredder
05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Very good op76!! Need more snare in the mix and a tad more kick to accent the bass. Vocals can be pushed back a little. Great drum (especially the kick) sound by the way... My take.

op76
05-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks. We might add some "smack" to snare. Do you mean vocals should be more narrow, or just a bit more quiet?

Shredder
05-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Do you mean vocals should be more narrow, or just a bit more quiet?

I would say yes, just a bit. But do not change EQ, sounds good!

How did you mix the drums? - again great sounding drum mix, it is sweet!!

op76
05-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Just added a new song. It is different style, much lighter than 2 parted. I also made a new version of 2 parted...should be better.

Shredder
05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Just added a new song. It is different style, much lighter than 2 parted. I also made a new version of 2 parted...should be better.

Sleepaway is real nice. Great lead guitar work on this new piece. The lead guitar part does have a direct to DAW sound however. If you are interested, I found using a combination of Juicy77 (BTE Audio) and ReaVerbate (Cockos) will give you almost a mic'ed amp effect and gets you away from the direct to DAW sound. Or try AradazAmp (Aradaz), this plugin is great as well. By using SimulAnalog Tube Screamer in front of this you can get even better harmonics. All plugins are free.

Also, I hear the difference on your updated mix on 2 parted. I can certainly hear the snare. The kick definitely is providing a nice accent for the bass. Vocals are clear and do not cover up your great playing. Overall very good mix.

Thank you for sharing..

op76
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey, thanks for your comments. It always nice to get descent feedback (even if it's not always what you like to hear). Glad you liked it. I have recorded all guitars for 9 songs, so I can't do much about my guitar sound anymore. It sounded better before mastering, but I needed to "loose it" to get better overall sound.

I sent you PM for that drum mix ;)

Thanks again.

StepOne
05-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Sounding good, drums are MIDI, methinks?

Perhaps a bit more bass? The recording sounds almost too clean/airy. But really, theres no real problems that I could make out on my cheapy work speakers. Nice work!

FarBeyondMetal
05-30-2008, 02:09 PM
I really enjoyed the songs and appreciated the mixing job you did on them. The guitar tone came out sounding great! Did you use an amp sim or was it the real thing? What kind of amp and mics did you use if they are the real thing ?

op76
05-30-2008, 11:36 PM
I wanted to wait until someone guesses this...yes, drums are recorded from electric drums as midi, and "mixing" is done by Addictive drums. How did you guess? You must have listened these well :)

Guitars are recorded directly from Boss GT-8, but we used Reapers guitar-amp (Fender bassman) to get it better. I also tried many other "cabs", but because I recorded all guitars with distortion and Boss cab/amp sims on, I couldn't get those to work.

op76
06-26-2008, 04:46 AM
I found using a combination of Juicy77 (BTE Audio) and ReaVerbate (Cockos) will give you almost a mic'ed amp effect and gets you away from the direct to DAW sound. Or try AradazAmp (Aradaz), this plugin is great as well. By using SimulAnalog Tube Screamer in front of this you can get even better harmonics.

Okay, I tried with those instructions above, but didn't get anything descent. I tried them with my present guitar sound, and I also tried to record clean sound directly from my Boss GT8 (by passed). Does someone have presets, good instructions, just a hint or even soundsamples, for these plugins?