PDA

View Full Version : 'Out Of Time' [Punk rock]

OpIvy
05-04-2019, 04:40 PM
I've hit 60 'finished' songs!
And this is it.... https://soundcloud.com/opivy/out-of-time

Not_Here
05-04-2019, 05:55 PM
congrats! and might I say that's a mighty fine bit of riffing. Love the song on first listen... gotta go throw it through the monitors now. It might end up being my upstairs neighbors new favorite song - heheheheh.

OpIvy
05-05-2019, 03:56 AM
Ha..thanks man. Sure was fun to play

Winfield
05-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Just had a listen on the headphones - great song and sounds like a good mix too.

-W

zeekat
05-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Sounds frickin lush. I love whatever you did to vocals.

edit: I love what you did to everything

brainwreck
05-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Man, this is the best sounding mix I have heard from you. What has changed since your older stuff? Particularly the drums and bass are sounding nice and fat.

OpIvy
05-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Sounds frickin lush. I love whatever you did to vocals.

edit: I love what you did to everything

Cheers. Vocals are just a few compressors, some slightly panned chorus and sent to some short delay. It's simplified for me

OpIvy
05-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Man, this is the best sounding mix I have heard from you. What has changed since your older stuff? Particularly the drums and bass are sounding nice and fat.

That's promising! I've done my last couple of mixes similarly. But maybe I've actually learned something along the way?

morgon
05-06-2019, 10:27 PM
Cheers Op, you're showing a great individual take on the genre, I really enjoy your tracks a lot, and as BW and Zeekat said the mix is excellent as well.

smueske
05-07-2019, 01:14 PM
That was a fun blast of attitude and energy! Definitely a unique sound. I haven't heard anyone mention this, but I think the vocals can come up in volume. Everything else seems right, level-wise.

OpIvy
05-08-2019, 01:19 AM
Cheers Op, you're showing a great individual take on the genre, I really enjoy your tracks a lot, and as BW and Zeekat said the mix is excellent as well.

Thanks man. Glad ya think so

OpIvy
05-08-2019, 01:23 AM
That was a fun blast of attitude and energy! Definitely a unique sound. I haven't heard anyone mention this, but I think the vocals can come up in volume. Everything else seems right, level-wise.

Funny you say that because I expected it too. Vocals do sit a bit low but I kinda like a bit of a battle between gtrs and vox. It hard to know when it sits right but when it does, I reckon it gives off some great energy. At least alot of the music I listen to does.

I'm not sure I have such a great up front voice anyway.

OpIvy
05-09-2019, 11:27 PM
Thanks all to those who listened. I'm feeling rather encouraged now, especially given where I started...pure turd polishing.

I'd like to know if you listened through monitors and how it sounds eq wise... I mix through headphones and have spent alot of time figuring out how it will translate using everything but studio monitors. The bottom end is particularly hard to judge especially if you like deep and punchy.

zeekat
05-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Sounds as good as on headphones here. Kick and bass are perfect. Really cool punchy mix.

OpIvy
05-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Awesome, thanks.
It was sounding pretty good in the cars

brainwreck
05-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Still haven't gotten around to calibrating my monitors, so take anything I say with that in mind. The kick has weight but not tubby. Snare sounds on the warm side. Bass sounds pretty even and has a good level. Guitars are on the harsh side (amp sims), but fine for what it is. One thing that came to mind is that the ride gets a bit monotonous, where I think switching up with the hi-hat some would better serve the song. But that's a personal preference, nothing to do with the mix.

OpIvy
05-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Great to hear, thanks.
I see what you mean by the ride. I'm using Addictive Drums and usually the last bit of editing is fiddling with the midi. Rarely seem to have the enthusiasm!

brainwreck
05-16-2019, 04:41 PM
I'm using Addictive Drums and usually the last bit of editing is fiddling with the midi. Rarely seem to have the enthusiasm!

I hear that. MIDI editing makes me want to shoot myself.

morgon
05-16-2019, 05:01 PM
I don't believe in step recording for the most part.

Better to actually play the part on anything that will show a definite wave form and align the MIDI to that.

Gamechanger imo. Reaper is perfect for that process with the see through floating MIDI editor window superimposed over the waveform.