PDA

View Full Version : 242test6 up with midi actions

zappadave
07-20-2008, 12:17 AM
v2.42test6 - July 19 2008
+ New actions window (and menu item? toolbar button?) for finding actions, defining custom actions, assigning key and controller shortcuts
+ Actions window can be run from midi editor
+ MIDI editor: new navigate menu, lots of new actions to navigate, select notes, expand selection
+ API: added GetPeaksBitmap, ShowActionList functions
+ ReWire: improvements (better PT compat), option for alternate configuration file for slave mode
+ ReWire: fixed loading of MIDI input 8-16 config
+ ReWire: improved configuration, implemented ReWire->REAPER MIDI routing config
+ sliders: fixed mousewheel in certain JS etc
+ Per item custom colors
+ JS: new phase_adjust plugin
+ JS: moved more FX to old_unsupported

edit by schwa:
- Anyone testing this please make a safe copy of your C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Applcation Data\REAPER\ directory first! The new custom action code will touch your ini files.
- Please don't use the old prefs/keyboard page at all in this new build. That page will be going away. Save and load keymaps only using the "file" menu in the new custom actions dialog, not using the old prefs/keyboard page.
/edit

zappadave
07-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Custom colours in item settings, seems to work ok.

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 12:45 AM
New actions window is in help menu, access with "?" - a much more comprehensive window than the one available with "?" before. Nice! And "Custom actions" - now that looks interesting!!

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 12:50 AM
New actions window is in help menu, access with "?" - a much more comprehensive window than the one available with "?" before. Nice! And "Custom actions" - now that looks interesting!!

Unlimited actions for macros, hooray!

I already tested my 11 action drum overview, worked a charm.

Thanks Schwa & Justin! :)

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 12:57 AM
And multiple shortcuts per action - cool!

I have to say the more I look at it the more my mind boggles. It's kind of "program your own DAW"!

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 01:05 AM
+ MIDI editor: new navigate menu, lots of new actions to navigate, select notes, expand selection

Just tested this Justin, it's pretty good! I noticed it missed some notes in this example of kick/snare/hats:

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/52584/10862018650-MIDI-event-drums-untitled-MIDI-event.png

It missed the snare every time, and going forward it would choose the kick and miss the hihat, and going back miss the kick and choose the hats.

* Is there any chance you'll continue with these actions for Selected Pitch? It would be so valuable to be able to zoom along just the kick notes for instance, until you find one to move, move it with a keystroke, then continue to the next one etc.

Really valuable for me 'cause I record live vdrums to midi, so i really need to navigate through selected drums quickly. :)

Great work, and I hope there's more in the midi tricks bag...fantastic update! Many thanks to the Cockos team. :)

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Uh oh - my shortcuts seem to be getting corrupted!

As far as I can see all the ones I have changed from default in the past, and saved under a new shortcut set name, seem no longer to have actions against them.

Looks like some caution is required in testing this!

Edit:- A quick test seems to indicate that the shortcuts still work as programmed but when you order the list in prefs by "Description" all the changed ones come to the top with a blank description, likewise in the view of shortcuts as a web page.

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Just reporting, clicking on the navigate menu doesn't work as such unless you assign shortcuts to them, (ie Ctrl-6/4/8/2). Although the shortcuts still work, but they aren't assigned according to the navigate menu here, except for 'move left by grid.'

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/52590/108620183619-MIDI-event-drums-untitled-MIDI-event.png

Maybe something to do with my previous shortcuts being imported to the new macro thingy...?

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Uh oh - my shortcuts seem to be getting corrupted!

As far as I can see all the ones I have changed from default in the past, and saved under a new shortcut set name, seem no longer to have actions against them.

Looks like some caution is required in testing this!

Just load your keymap back in, that fixes it.

gofer
07-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Wow!!!! That's a huuuge step again in the right direction:)
Love the new action list. It's even resizeable. Kisses

Hope some of the actions still left out are also coming, but myohmy.

Girlfriend is already complaining about another sunday with me sticking at the PC...

Frank

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Re: the shortcuts not showing up.

I just assigned new shortcuts to the first four navigate actions, but only the first one shows up in the navigate menu (move left by grid)...

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 01:41 AM
Loading previously saved keymaps does not fix the problem - for instance the one I saved before I started playing round is now corrupted, it seems.

Edit: Could be to do with the "reset to default" button in prefs keyboard shortcuts. I assumed that would have no effect on the loaded set unless you saved but that seems to be what did the blanking. I pressed it, then saved the result as "defaults" but the last recalled set (say "art3") was then partly blanked. Hmmmm. Only "art1" seems to be ok, "art2" is also stuffed, possibly for the same reason as the stuffing of "art3".

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Loading previously saved keymaps does not fix the problem - for instance the one I saved before I started playing round is now corrupted, it seems.

Edit: Could be to do with the "reset to default" button in prefs keyboard shortcuts. I assumed that would have no effect on the loaded set unless you saved but that seems to be what did the blanking. I pressed it, then saved the result as "defaults" but the last recalled set (say "art3") was then partly blanked. Hmmmm. Only "art1" seems to be ok, "art2" is also stuffed, possibly for the same reason as the stuffing of "art3".

Weird, I loaded my keymap as soon as I installed it to fix that...everything seems fine here.

Do you have a backup copy of your keymap?

gofer
07-20-2008, 02:45 AM
The actions 'select note nearest to the edit cursor' and 'add note nearest to the edit cursor to selection' have some strange logic I donīt get. The idea behind them was to be able to jog with a jogwheel through time, select events on the fly and edit them with the same wheel and some modifiers.

I thought that feature out for automation envelope editing originally, but for midi notes it would be just as cool.

The selection seems to depend on both the vertical and horizontal edit cursors, but I am not sure about it. I just cannot make real sense of which note gets selected.

I am not sure if and how this could be implemented properly for note selecting, as two dimensions have to be covered here, but still would love to see something like that for envelope nodes (and controller events), where it would be far easier, because the only dimension that had to be covered would be time.

btw.: Item colors are so sweeeeeet
Frank

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Yeah, probably on the other pc. Memo to self, back up the prefs directory more often...

Look, this could be operator error of some sort, but I would suggest that any trying this new actions/shortcuts stuff makes a backup in a non-Reaper folder of their existing shortcuts etc first, just in case.

I'll do that myself shortly (after I've had my snout in the dinner trough!) and see if I can test to destruction knowing I'm covered if things go wrong again.

nicholas
07-20-2008, 02:53 AM
This new macro window is just amazing, thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Only one suggestion and I will be in complete macro heaven. Could it be made dockable please?

Alex Stone
07-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Great to see the ME get a facelift, and in usual Reaper fashion, we get bonuses in the shape of the actions list appearing in the ME. A sensible addition to the armoury.

Going through the list, and checking for quirks, i found the following:

1. I confirm Bevoss's observation that the menu for navigation actions only shows the "Move left by grid" KS assignment, although all 4 have been assigned.

2. In the ME actions list, if you just select an action, then press Run, the window closes, and shuts down the ME as well.

3. When cycling through the notes in the ME, i can confirm Frank's observation that going to next and previous note sometimes misses one. In a two note chord, among other notes, going left, more often than not, chooses the top note, and going right chooses the bottom note. This isn't the same pattern every time, and also seems to depend on when the note was added. (if the users goes back and adds a note to a chord for example)

My thanks to the Reaper team,
Alex.

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 03:04 AM
Shouldn't we be able to save a keymap from the Actions window as well, if that's where we make our custom actions?

Seems to be a bit clunky to have to go back to the prefs window just to save the new action to your keymap.

Well not that clunky for me, I have an ahk shortcut for that...just thinking of others here. :)

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 03:27 AM
What it seems to be is that when you install the test version, the current keymap is converted to a new format. But if you then save that under a new name, then load that, actions are not shown against keystrokes that have been changed. Maybe they have not yet completed the load/save mechanism. If I am right then doing a lot of work on setting up nifty macros with this test version may not be worthwhile as it seems you cannot save the result then recall it intact.

Based on experience here, I'd suggest that people do not load or save keymaps with this version. Maybe just have a quick play and revert to the previous version.

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 03:28 AM
There's a box in the new window bottom left corner for assigning a key, or keys, to the macro, Bevosss.

Kainer
07-20-2008, 03:44 AM
do we still NEED the keymap/-options in preferences now?

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 03:45 AM
What it seems to be is that when you install the test version, the current keymap is converted to a new format. But if you then save that under a new name, then load that, actions are not shown against keystrokes that have been changed. Maybe they have not yet completed the load/save mechanism. If I am right then doing a lot of work on setting up nifty macros with this test version may not be worthwhile as it seems you cannot save the result then recall it intact.

Based on experience here, I'd suggest that people do not load or save keymaps with this version. Maybe just have a quick play and revert to the previous version.

Or just backup your keymaps first, just in case. Then it's easy to fix if something goes awray.

Strange but my keymaps are working fine since I loaded the first one Art.

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 03:47 AM
There's a box in the new window bottom left corner for assigning a key, or keys, to the macro, Bevosss.

Ahh, that's not what I was talking about...I meant saving the actual keymap (after assigning a new shortcut).

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 04:08 AM
Ah, you mean the bit that's stuffed? :) Indeed.

But have you recalled a keymap and ordered it by the right hand column, and double checked that there are no blanks shown? That's the repeatable problem here.

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 04:37 AM
Ah, you mean the bit that's stuffed? :) Indeed.

But have you recalled a keymap and ordered it by the right hand column, and double checked that there are no blanks shown? That's the repeatable problem here.

Yep, mines fine. I love that you can resize the window huge now, and it shows all your doubled or tripled up actions...easy to get a complete overview of the mappings now.

Art, you didn't save your keymap after first installing test6 did you? That would have overwritten your keymap with whatever the first bodgy load was.

schwa
07-20-2008, 04:56 AM
- Anyone testing this please make a safe copy of your C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Applcation Data\REAPER\ directory first! The new custom action code will touch your ini files.
- Please don't use the old prefs/keyboard page at all in this new build. That page will be going away.

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 04:58 AM
Steps to reproduce:

Install 2.41

Load a good keymap in Prefs. Scroll down to check there are no blanks in the "description" column, or sort by that column so that any blanks will be at the top.

Install test version.

Don't load a keymap but look at the one currently loaded in Prefs, checking as before for blanks.

Order it by "Description" and you should see a group of actions beginning with "Custom:...."

Now load the same keymap.

If it's ordered by "Description" you'll now have a load of blank entries and no "Custom:..." entries.

Or I'm a dutchman.

Don't save it!

There's also another bug whereby when using the "search" button when editing a preference, you may see a load of duplicates of the item searched for.

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 04:59 AM
Schwa, I'd say you also need to back up your keymap files too.

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 05:04 AM
That's what I meant Art, the first time you install test6 (or reinstall), it loads some bodgy keymap, so you should straight away load your own keymap, without saving it. Then all should be good (so far here)...

gofer
07-20-2008, 05:06 AM
"Options: toggle move CC events with notes" doesn't work here.

And "CC: next/previous CC lane" are not very descriptive names.
Something like "Set CC lane to next/previous CC number" would fit better, as that is what they do.

That's not to say they aren't useful, but for a short while I thought they would indeed make the next visible lane active. (So that we could edit existing controller event by actions that are still to implement.)

Frank

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 05:08 AM
A simple thing to do is to create a folder on a drive other than your system drive and call it "Reaper Backups".

Drag into it C:\Program Files\Reaper

In the backup folder, rename the Reaper folder you've just created to "Reaper program".

Now also drag into "Reaper Backups" C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Applcation Data\REAPER

In the backup folder, rename the Reaper folder you've just created to "Reaper settings".

Should only take a few moments if you've kept other stuff out of those folders.

Heh, I feel a "Reaper Backup" ahk program coming on...

schwa
07-20-2008, 05:08 AM
I'm not totally sure what the cause of the keymap save/load problem is (we'll figure it out), but one thing that may be causing trouble: don't touch the old prefs/keyboard page in the new build. That page is meant to go away, and saving/loading keymaps and custom actions should be done only using the "file" menu on the new actions dialog.

There may well be a bug in the new system, but for sure don't use the old one and the new one simultaneously. We should probably not have released the pre build without before the old prefs/keyboard page.

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 05:14 AM
> That's what I meant Art, the first time you install test6 (or reinstall), it loads some bodgy keymap, so you should straight away load your own keymap, without saving it. Then all should be good (so far here)...

Well, here, if I load the keymap that was fine in 2.41 (comes from the other PC), it comes up with description holes in the test version. I think it still works, but the descriptions are gone. Odd that yours is ok, it's totally reproducable here.

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 05:16 AM
> saving/loading keymaps and custom actions should be done only using the "file" menu on the new actions dialog.

Ahh!! The penny drops. Bevosss is probably just using the new window, and I'm using the old one for loading and saving.

It takes very, very little to confuse me! :)

schwa
07-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Art can you post (or PM, if PM is back up) your problem shortcuts file? Thanks.

... edit, never mind, if the problem only arises when the using old and new keymap dialogs simultaneously as discussed above.

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 05:21 AM
saving/loading keymaps and custom actions should be done only using the "file" menu on the new actions dialog.

So:

Load keymaps = Import Shortcut Bindings

Save keymaps = Export all Customized Shortcut Bindings.

plus you can save only selected actions to a keymap (export customized selected keybindings),

or load this section only (which I guess is like load only the main actions etc)?

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 05:29 AM
OK, I've now at last spotted the File menu in the Actions window, and used "Import shortcut bindings" to get at "Art2". Now I press "Find shortcut" and press "S" (which I had customised in 2.41 with a 2 stage macro). Then up comes a box which says "Error - shortcut defined but command not found". Why is that?

It was....

View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
Item: Split item(s) at edit or play cursor

schwa
07-20-2008, 05:31 AM
OK! Can you send or post Art2 please?

schwa
07-20-2008, 05:35 AM
It missed the snare every time, and going forward it would choose the kick and miss the hihat, and going back miss the kick and choose the hats.

There are 4 new actions of that type: move left/right/up/down. As currently implemented, left and right move only left and right. When there's a chord (currently defined as something like: multiple notes that start within 1/128 note of one another), left and right will select only one note from the chord (the lowest note as you go right, the highest note as you go left ... I'll change that so it chooses the lowest note each time). Once you have a note from the chord selected, you can navigate through the chord using the move up/down actions.

Feedback of course is appreciated on the way these actions are defined.

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Schwa, see

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/1451533/Art02.ReaperKeyMap

for the keymap I'm wrestling with - really just in relation to the error message I've just reported - the rest of the muddle is operator error!!

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 05:44 AM
What's "Section - Main (alternative recording)" about, anyone?

Maybe I'm uniquely stupid but that tiny "File" menu option is likely to be a source of confusion to others - is any other mechanism like a button or buttons possible, alongside the other buttons? Eg

[File...] [Run] [Close]

or

[Import...] [Export...] [Run] [Close]

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 05:52 AM
There are 4 new actions of that type: move left/right/up/down. As currently implemented, left and right move only left and right. When there's a chord (currently defined as something like: multiple notes that start within 1/128 note of one another), left and right will select only one note from the chord (the lowest note as you go right, the highest note as you go left ... I'll change that so it chooses the lowest note each time). Once you have a note from the chord selected, you can navigate through the chord using the move up/down actions.

Sounds like a good solution...and yeah, I've got the up/down actions mapped for that, they work as expected thanks.

Feedback of course is appreciated on the way these actions are defined.

Navigate left/right by Selected pitch?

As far as I know, no other daw has this...Cubase only has all note navigation, which for me is still slow and prone to overshoots...great for chordal instruments, not so good for drums, where you'd want to move along just the Kick notes, or Snare notes, or perhaps Kick and Snare notes...that'd be ground-breaking I think.

E-Drummers especially would love this feature, an excellent speedup for off-the-grid editing.

Yeah I'm blowing a lone trumpet here, but it's a good one... :)

(I think Drew was into this too)

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 05:56 AM
Schwa, I think perhaps you should add the old actions (load/save keymap) in brackets, to the new file actions...bound to confuse some users, some still haven't got their head around the old system yet.

zappadave
07-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Would it be possible to change show channel, in the midi editor, to toggle between show/hide channel. Then you could have whatever midi channels you wanted on display. That would be fantastic, if possible.

gofer
07-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Bevosss is right, such an action will be much appreciated by everyone editing drum note events, as we could easily step through e.g. only the HiHat amidst all the other events and take care of one instrument at a time.

A note on item colors: It would be clearer if selected Items would just show the colors that are applied in the preference/Color Theme section and only these.
Now they show a color relative to the custom color (is it the custom color overlayed by the one chosen in the preferences?) and it is sometimes impossible to tell which items are selected from their coloring.
I'd like to see each selected Item in the same color (or two, for odd and even tracks) all over the tracks view, no matter how they are custom colored when they are not selected.

Frank

schwa
07-20-2008, 06:21 AM
1. I confirm Bevoss's observation that the menu for navigation actions only shows the "Move left by grid" KS assignment, although all 4 have been assigned.

Thanks guys, bug, fixed for next pre.

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 06:51 AM
The problem seems to be that (for instance) "S" is now associated with a custom action name, which is the same as the old macro. That custom action name is now associated with the actual actions that you see in "Edit custom action". You can change the list of actions for that action name and the action name remains the same, or you can change the name to something of your choice.

The problem then arises, how to export and import that? File "Export custom actions" seems to do it - here is says it has exported 313 of them - but it looks like you then have to also "Export all customised shortcut bindings". Having done that, then done the reverse of importing those two things, you lose (or I lose) all customised bindings and shortcuts.

But Bevosss doesn't seem to hit that problem. Huh!

I love the theory and can see the rationale underlying the system but I can't help thinking that the practice has somehow got to be simplified somewhat - too much importing and exporting of different things and other potential confusion.

Personally I just want to set stuff up and save it (one button), and recall it later (another button) - the simplicity of the old system with the power of the new. This version of shortcuts seems to merit a couple of pages in the manual of its own.

Or maybe I just need to go to bed, which I shall now do. :)

Alex Stone
07-20-2008, 07:28 AM
There is an intermittent fault with closing the new actions list in the ME, that it stalls reaper, prompting a restart.

Please note i'm on Reaper/Wine, so if you win chaps could confirm or deny this, i'll know where to start looking.

Also note i'm only working in the new actions list, not using General/keyboard control.

Alex.

Alex Stone
07-20-2008, 07:49 AM
when hitting ctl+f2 to open the note properties box, all goes well, and for the first time in Reaper, i don't need to swap back and forth between mousing notes and adjusting parameters with tab.

It's great news and a real time saver, i only ask that the velocity parameter be modified to enable using up and down keys for value. at the moment we have to change the value manually, however small or large it may be. It would be useful to add up/down arrow value adjustment as well, for each of the parameter boxes in note properties.

In the same note properties box, could you please add 'all' to the midi channel value. (preferably at the bottom, after 16.)

Alex.

gofer
07-20-2008, 09:03 AM
I agree with the value adjustment per up/down arrow, though as a mouse guy, i'd like to have mousewheel support here like in the Note (key) field in this same property box. Each selected field should change by up/down arrows as well as the mousewheel (the bpm field in the transport window could also behave the same).

As for the channel value "all", this is a very unusual thought and not supported by a midi note message as is. There just is no "speak to all channels" possible in a midi note message. It would be up to reaper to copy the note throughout the channels, so that you end up with 16 seperate notes. But when would you want that?

Frank

Tallisman
07-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I am not sure I agree. With the mouse wheel volume thing...
the reason is that I think the mouse wheel should be congruent throughout reaper.

Zooming should be the same in the ME ans in the arrange.
Scrub should still be assignet to the middle click with the same modifiers... If I scroll in the ME and I want to quickly check where I am in the song, then mousewheel jog to hear that part in real time, in context.

perhaps some actions:
- capture mouse wheel for velocity (on and off and toggle)
- capture mouse wheel for pitch adjusting selected notes(on and off and toggle)
- capture mouse wheel for mote movement L/R by grid (on and off and toggle)
and my reasoning for these new commands is related to this seed I'd like to plant:

A massive time saver for me would be assigning a relative velocity control (up and down) for selected midi notes to [alt]+[right-click] I thin the action there is redundant

it would offer much greater control and speed than zooming into the "handles"

the me window sold be scaled to fit 128 values. slow alt+r-click movement should sound the notes at each vol change... fast movement should sound the notes where the mouse stops.

IMHO this tool will go a long way in terms of adding to the strength of Reaper's midi

cheers
.t

ps. and ban steindork :D

Ollie
07-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Yes please! :)

gofer
07-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Why would you want to scrub while you edit in the note properties window? Mousewheel is supported for almost any input fields throughout Reaper, even the Note field in the Note Proerties window, so it would be only consistent if it worked everywhere.

Aah, you speak of the handles of the notes in the editor...
well, personally I'd like wheel support there also, but you have a point there. (which is why I'm not perfectly happy with the mousewheel-scrub...) Could we meet at scrubbing would be done in the timeline section of the editor?

Frank

Tallisman
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure I disagree with your possible agreement?

What do you refer to?

Frank

hehe I hit submit to early...
see again
:D
.t

in response to Franks note below which directs attention above :P

Hey Frank I missed your point the first time around, cause I was already thing about mouse congruity throughout Reaper.
As for the ctrl+F2 note properties... If that has focus then by all means the mouse wheel should scroll the values... it does already for the note and channel. Love to see that!

greetings .t

gofer
07-20-2008, 09:47 AM
now, this is cross-posting at the extremes
please look at my post above... :)

Ollie
07-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Probably I disagree with your disagreement with the agreement above, depending on your agreement with my agreement. Err... :D

CoffeeMilkshake
07-20-2008, 09:59 AM
A note on item colors: It would be clearer if selected Items would just show the colors that are applied in the preference/Color Theme section and only these.
Now they show a color relative to the custom color (is it the custom color overlayed by the one chosen in the preferences?) and it is sometimes impossible to tell which items are selected from their coloring.

Agree with gofer here!

See my pic below.

Track 4: first item is coloured and selected while second item is coloured and NOT selected

Track 5: default theme colour for selected item

What I would like:

1. Maintain the default theme colour for item selection throughout Reaper even when coloured items are selected

2. Make default the way the first item on track 4 is, always having the custom item colour filing the item background and NOT the waveform (that should always be what is defined in theme)

3. Discard behaviour seen in second item of track 2 cause it's no good really...

My 2 cents

BTW if anyone has better English skills and understands what I'm talking about, please translate it better :D

P.S. Cockos Team YEAH!

Alex Stone
07-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Schwa, can't get to the circled note (last note entered) with navigation KS.

http://bruno.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/3d/3d07340323547cb901f1d6c99bbe0952084e7221.png

Alex.

Edit:

I think i have a clearer view of this. The KS is losing the command for some reason. It works initially (and is then saved in the keymap), but after short time seems to just stop working.

Shan
07-20-2008, 10:28 AM
v2.42test6 - July 19 2008
+ New actions window (and menu item? toolbar button?) for finding actions, defining custom actions, assigning key and controller shortcuts

Very killer! Works amazing!

My only wish list is to be able to assign the Win, Esc, and Enter(numeric keypad) keys to macros. Mouse wheel and buttons would also be a bonus. :D

Shane

Dstruct
07-20-2008, 10:31 AM

Why not a thick border around selected item(s)?

Tallisman
07-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Very killer! Works amazing!

My only wish list is to be able to assign the Win, Esc, and Enter(numeric keypad) keys to macros. Mouse wheel and buttons would also be a bonus. :D

Shane

yes and yesterdaw sees the media buttons on my keyboard too and I miss mapping the vol dial to scrub.
:D

.t

Justin
07-20-2008, 11:51 AM
What's "Section - Main (alternative recording)" about, anyone?

If you enable prefs/keyboard/enable alternate keyboard section when recording,

then it uses it when recording.. useful if say, you want to only have one (or no) key assigned, to prevent recording from being interrupted etc... Or if you have a different workflow when recording.

gofer
07-20-2008, 02:07 PM
In terms of item colors:

Played around with it and find it depends very much on the color theme. I had rather bright colored item backgrounds when I first tried and that sort of made it a mess. With more neutral item backgrounds it works far better now.

What's strange to me, I guess is that items never get the color I chose in the color selection box, they come close to it when they are selected and not in the time selection. Perhaps Iīd prefer it the other way round. Hard to say.
Perhaps some border would indeed help more, as Dandruff said.

It's not nearly as messy as i first thought.

Frank

Art Evans
07-20-2008, 04:06 PM

then it uses it when recording.. useful if say, you want to only have one (or no) key assigned, to prevent recording from being interrupted etc... Or if you have a different workflow when recording.Thanks - I hadn't seen that in prefs - very nice feature!

Bevosss
07-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey Schwa, it's awesome that you're adding "select next note left/right with same note value" action...that is really going to put Reaper on the map for midi drum editing I'm sure.

The other action that would REALLY SPEED UP the workflow, for me especially, is 'Copy Notes from Edit Cursor (including gap)'

ie say you want to copy a live midi roll, but the first note doesn't start on a grid line (very common when played live)...you have to stuff around zooming in to get the precise position, zoom out and navigate to where you will paste it, then zoom in again and find that new position.

I would much rather copy FROM a bar line/measure start, and then I'd just jump to the area to paste, place the edit cursor on the corresponding bar line, and paste...done!

This action would save me so much time! I hope you consider adding this too. :)

I had a few associated selection actions as well, such as unselecting from the edges of the group in all notes & same notes mode, you might be interested in viewing here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=206832&postcount=5

Thanks again for an excellent beta! Very progressive... :)

Shan
07-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey Schwa, it's awesome that you're adding "select next note left/right with same note value" action...that is really going to put Reaper on the map for midi drum editing I'm sure.

The other action that would REALLY SPEED UP the workflow, for me especially, is 'Copy Notes from Edit Cursor (including gap)'

- Snap "start" (of selected item) to playhead

- Snap "snap offset" (of selected item) to playhead

- Snap "end" (of selected item) to playhead

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/162430/snap2playhead.gif

Handy throughout the daily editing grind also..oh we're talking Midi...thought it was Post actions...oops. :D :D

nicholas
07-21-2008, 12:56 AM
I suspect somebody might ahve suggested this already but I can't find it now ...

Be good to be able to save keystroke shortcuts from Actions window rather than having to go back into Prefs every time ...

Bevosss
07-21-2008, 01:09 AM
I suspect somebody might ahve suggested this already but I can't find it now ...

Be good to be able to save keystroke shortcuts from Actions window rather than having to go back into Prefs every time ...

Try this from the file menu Nicholas:

So:

Load keymaps = Import Shortcut Bindings

Save keymaps = Export all Customized Shortcut Bindings.

plus you can save only selected actions to a keymap (export customized selected keybindings),

or load this section only (which I guess is like load only the main actions etc)?

Art Evans
07-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Schwa has said (somewhere above) that we should not use the keyboard shortcuts stuff in prefs with this test version - it will not be in the finished version.

When I went to bed last night I was still unable to get loading and saving (I mean, exporting and importing) to work without getting seriously buggy behaviour and I've not tried again today, on the assumption that this part is a work in progress.

nicholas
07-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Try this from the file menu Nicholas:

Hee hee, you know I didn't even notice that there was a file menu inside the Actions window! :D

Thanks!

Bevosss
07-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Back up Application data/Reaper and Reaper/keymaps just in case Nicholas.

Alex Stone
07-21-2008, 01:50 AM
There's probably a few of us that have forgone a little sleep to explore the new actions, and find out just how useful they'll be.

I would ask here, that the Reaper devs consider adding volume, or a simple cc selector and value adjustable box to the note properties box popped up with ctl+f2.
Velocity is good, but having at least note volume and/or expression, takes even more opening and closing away from a direct and ongoing workflow.
This observation has come about from using the new tools, and the significant speed boost i've already gained from trying and using them.

Alex.

Bevosss
07-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Hey Schwa, it's awesome that you're adding "select next note left/right with same note value" action...that is really going to put Reaper on the map for midi drum editing I'm sure. :)

One thing I noticed testing the new 'navigate' actions, is that the view doesn't follow where the edit cursor goes in the midi editor.

So, could we possibly link the 'navigating by midi notes' to the view, so if we navigate to a note off screen, the editor scrolls to that position?

It would save a lot of extra clicking...thanks!

gofer
07-21-2008, 05:23 AM
Bummer, I hopped along the notes like crazy, but failed to notice that, Bevoss. Very good suggestion.

Alex, this has to do with how midi messages are organized. There is nothing like 'note volume' in the midi specs. You probably know that, but I say it anyway.
Controller messages are a different beast and it all boils down to improve the controller editing features in the controller lanes and the event list.
That does't mean they couldn't be handled in a similar way to notes. Just that they are seperate events and shouldn't be fixed to notes.

I miss navigating and selecting (multiple) controller events a lot.
And the event list would need a good portion of love too.

I am sure, the dynamic trio will come up with something cool at this end too.

Frank

Frank

drew
07-21-2008, 10:49 AM

then it uses it when recording.. useful if say, you want to only have one (or no) key assigned, to prevent recording from being interrupted etc... Or if you have a different workflow when recording.

Hey Justin.. I tried this and get into a mess fast!

I had imagined it would work as an override for main window actions and allow the "Nop" action to be assigned as a way to block out actions.

But, unless I'm doing something wrong, it appears every shortcut you might use - like dropping markers, metronome toggle and even start & stop! - need to be remapped manually.

It seems a pretty odd starting point to have to define everything you might need from scratch. Has anyone else said similar?

nicholas
07-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Here's an issue which possibly might confuse some users (it did me at first).

The lack of any "Save" or "Open/Load" command on the File menu seems strange. Especially for an inexperienced user, "Export" might be confusing, especially if you don't really want to export to another program or whatever, you just want to save.

Art Evans
07-21-2008, 03:20 PM
It seems a pretty odd starting point to have to define everything you might need from scratch. Has anyone else said similar?

If the idea is that it would be a really minimal, safe set to have enabled during a recording, then it would be quicker to map what you do want rather than having to un-map dozens of unrequired keys.

Personally I'd just want mark, and clear meters, during recording (well, off the top of my head that is).