PDA

View Full Version : Disabled "Run FX when stopped" gives problems (FIXED)

Dstruct
09-01-2006, 07:11 AM
disabled "Run FX when stopped" (which is the default setting) can produce a click at the playback-start. you also have this click in the rendered file, which is very bad.

i've noticed this while doing this M/S test: http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21173&postcount=11

-> open the project
-> start playback and stop it (you also hear a click already when stopping)
-> start playback again

=> depending (zero-crossing?) on where you stopped you'll now hear a click at the beginning of the new playback.

if you enable "Run FX when stopped" this problem doesn't occur! you only get a click when stopping (maybe a short fade-out would help there!?) ...

FIXED

Dstruct
09-01-2006, 10:46 AM
my idea:

what about stopping/deactivating the fx after a certain time/user-setting (i would like about 20 seconds to let the meters of the plugins fall off completely) and not immediately? perhaps this also cold solve the click/crackle problem on stop and new playback?

Dstruct
09-02-2006, 04:37 AM
here the live output to show the behaviour while working in reaper:

Dstruct
09-07-2006, 08:38 AM
this still happens in 1.07! nobody cares about useless rendered wave-files and these clicks?

Dstruct
09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
help! justin? some words?

Dstruct
09-17-2006, 07:26 AM
at least one user also got this behaviour:
If I stop playback midway through the Project I am currently working on, then play from zero, the MIDI buffer contains notes held over from the point I had previously stopped at. Instead of a clean start, I get a partial note from the stop point. This held note also appeared in a render I did of the Project. I found the only way to make sure this didn't appear in the Render was to play through the entire Project from beginning to end before making a render.

LOSER
11-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Maybe there should be an option to flush all FX before rendering, 'cause I noticed something like that too (when running JS FX that have a buffer, the remaining buffer gets played/rendered on (re)playback/rendering).
It could just be some seconds of silence running through all plug-ins before starting the actuall rendering process or something similare that flushes the FX buffers.

P.S. As a workaround I go to end of project and hit play a few times before rendering.

Dstruct
11-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe there should be an option to flush all FX before rendering.

should be no option imo. should just be "enabled". even before starting playback!

LOSER
11-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Maybe there should be an option to flush all FX before rendering, 'cause I noticed something like that too (when running JS FX that have a buffer, the remaining buffer gets played/rendered on (re)playback/rendering).
It could just be some seconds of silence running through all plug-ins before starting the actuall rendering process or something similare that flushes the FX buffers.

P.S. As a workaround I go to end of project and hit play a few times before rendering.

Selfquote to say there already is an option to flush track fx (but it's for looping and I dunno what it really does :)). Plus it ain't the JS plugs causing this problem it is ReaFir (setting FFT size to something high).

Dstruct
11-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Selfquote to say there already is an option to flush track fx (but it's for looping and I dunno what it really does :)).
yeah, that's why i don't have it enabled (as it says it's bad for vst)

Plus it ain't the JS plugs causing this problem it is ReaFir (setting FFT size to something high).
exactly. i don't use JS, but in this test/problem-project i've used ReaFir ...

Art Evans
04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Run effects when stopped does fix the problem at the start of playing or rendering but causes a little glitch on stop. (Using for example the "Classic" freeware reverb).

The problem does not happen in Audition, so it must be fixable somehow.

Art Evans
04-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Meanwhile I have set ctrl/alt/r to the following:-

Go to end of project
Play
Render