PDA

View Full Version : .. so is 2.45 pre 3

nicholas
08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
v2.45pre3 - August 15 2008
+ Fixed midi editor flicker on folding change
+ Fixed mute+soloed tracks broken in pre2
+ Solo in Front option (with configurable dim amount)
+ OGG writer: now generates more compatible OGG streams
+ OGG writer: adds encoder tag

Yee hah! ...

Tallisman
08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
[/B]
Yee hah!

will that have another icon state??

can we dime some solos and regular solo others?

can't wait to try this!

.t

Justin
08-15-2008, 05:40 PM

can't wait to try this!

.t

It's a global setting, as it only affects the non-soloed tracks.

Art Evans
08-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Just when you thought you knew what would be in the next release! Nice bonus.

nicholas
08-15-2008, 05:41 PM

can't wait to try this!

.t

I prefs you can set the dB level to dim solo by.

But it seems to be turned on and off from Options menu (assignable to shortcut if you wish). It seems that it's global for the project, not a track by track thing. But I'm happy. :)

Art Evans
08-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Hmmm - configuration should perhaps be a right click on the solo button, or maybe that should be what gives you solo in front.

Edit - right click to configure, shift click to make it happen on that occasion, don't have a global option??

Another edit - if you have shift click on solo to make it dim solo, then you shift click on another solo you stay dim solo, then you normal click on another track, then you come out of dim solo mode. Wouldn't that work?

And yet another edit - shift click on any already-soloed solo wouldn't unsolo, it would toggle solo in front.

nicholas
08-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Solo in front doesn't seem to be working anything like as intended when tracks use channel splitting and/or moderately complex routing.

See the attached example project:

http://www.cockos.com/~glazfolk/BrawSolo.RPP

Justin
08-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Solo in front doesn't seem to be working anything like as intended when tracks use channel splitting and/or moderately complex routing.

See the attached example project:

http://www.cockos.com/~glazfolk/BrawSolo.RPP

Got it.. improving for pre4 ;)

Also fixing some cases where routed soloed tracks would be dimmed even though they shouldn't have been.

-Justin

nicholas
08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Got it.. improving for pre4 ;)

Also fixing some cases where routed soloed tracks would be dimmed even though they shouldn't have been.

-Justin

Sure. Try this one:
http://www.cockos.com/~glazfolk/BrawSolo2.RPP

Insert any audio files into tracks 2, 3, 6, 7, 9 and 10. I'd suggest Vox for 2 and 3, any instruments for 6, 7, 9 and 10.

Play project with normal solo on track 6 - you'll hear what you expect. Now stop it, enable the Solo in Front and try again - you'll hear mostly Vox from track 2.

Same goes with 7. 9 and 10.

Justin
08-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Got it, I'll post another build tomorrow ;)

nerdfactormax
08-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Just tried solo in front on tracks in folders. Sounds like its dimming the parent folder (which doesn't help). That's quite a conundrum :)

Bevosss
08-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Just tried solo in front on tracks in folders. Sounds like its dimming the parent folder (which doesn't help). That's quite a conundrum :)

Same here, definitely dimming it's parent track as well.

Great feature though! Kudos to the team...

nicholas
08-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Great feature though! Kudos to the team...

Definitely is and it shows you should never give up on your feature requests. ;)

This one's been sitting patiently in line for more than a year. :D
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=11012

Bevosss
08-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Definitely is and it shows you should never give up on your feature requests. ;)

This one's been sitting patiently in line for more than a year. :D
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=11012

Ha! Same here with Midi Fold (Hide Unused Note Rows)...well, I wasn't the original poster to be sure, but I had the same idea in mind and made sure it was well documented and wasn't forgotten! :D

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=212802&postcount=27

Tallisman
08-15-2008, 11:32 PM
So I continue to hold out hope for groove quantize!

:D
.t

Xenakios
08-16-2008, 12:03 AM

.t

tsk tsk, no feature requests over here! :D

Bevosss
08-16-2008, 12:55 AM

.t

Hmmm, well it would sure be one of the more useful midi improvements for me, ie extract a groove template from a live Bass track, and quantize the midi drums to match that.

But of course Xenakios is right Tal, for shame... :D

Dstruct
08-16-2008, 01:11 AM

Cool, works fine now again.

Btw: Why not updating to the latest libvorbis version?

libvorbis 1.2.0 (2007-07-25) -- "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20070622"

* new ov_fopen() convenience call that avoids the common stdio conflicts with ov_open() and MSVC runtimes.
* libvorbisfile now handles multiplexed streams
* improve robustness to corrupt input streams
* fix a minor encoder bug
* updated RTP draft
* build system updates
* minor corrections to the specification

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/vorbis/libvorbis-1.2.0.zip

d. gauss
08-16-2008, 05:08 AM
v2.45pre3 - August 15 2008
+ OGG writer: adds encoder tag

any chance of reaper being able to open MOGG files ala audacity?
would love to be able to open the wealth of artist multitracks currently floating around on the web in reaper rather than audacity.

Jack Winter
08-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Can we please get a way to adjust the dim level of solo in front while playing back. I use this feature already a long time through some creative routing, and find it indespensible to be able to adjust the level while working with solo in front.

Maybe rightclicking on a solo (or the master solo) button could bring up a fader to set the dim level.

Justin
08-16-2008, 09:22 AM
there's a zip up that should make the routed SiF stuff work right, or at least better...

Dstruct
08-16-2008, 09:34 AM
there's a zip up that should make the routed SiF stuff work right, or at least better...

why is this exe so much smaller than the original 2.45pre3?

3.110.912 bytes vs 3.438.080 bytes?

Justin
08-16-2008, 10:04 AM
why is this exe so much smaller than the original 2.45pre3?

3.110.912 bytes vs 3.438.080 bytes?

It's not built using ICC (whereas the one in the installer is).

Banned
08-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm using Reaper mostly with tracks holding MIDI items triggering VSTi's / AUi's (+ some fx). I don't notice *anything* about the new solo-in-front feature, so I'm guessing it's exclusively for audio tracks?

Why not have it continue to play MIDI and 'dim' the output volume with the specified amount too?

Also, 100 ms seems to be *way* too short for the maximum value for the 'Track mute fade' setting imho. E.g. if I want it to take exactly one beat to dim, I must play at 150 BPM or faster.

Dstruct
08-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm using Reaper mostly with tracks holding MIDI items triggering VSTi's / AUi's (+ some fx). I don't notice *anything* about the new solo-in-front feature, so I'm guessing it's exclusively for audio tracks?

works fine here on vsti tracks too.

Also, 100 ms seems to be *way* too short for the maximum value for the 'Track mute fade' setting imho. E.g. if I want it to take exactly one beat to dim, I must play at 150 BPM or faster.

It's meant to give use glitch-free mute, not on-beat mute.

Dstruct
08-16-2008, 10:23 AM
It's not built using ICC (whereas the one in the installer is).

thanks. always wondered about this :)

Banned
08-16-2008, 10:53 AM
works fine here on vsti tracks too.

Hmm maybe i should try some others; more regular ones. Right now i'm using AudioRealism's ABL2 and ADM, both of which are running in sequencer mode. One long MIDI note triggers their internal sequencers, and the sequencers get cut off when the MIDI note triggering them gets cut off.

Spyrow
08-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Can we please get a way to adjust the dim level of solo in front while playing back. I use this feature already a long time through some creative routing, and find it indespensible to be able to adjust the level while working with solo in front.

Maybe rightclicking on a solo (or the master solo) button could bring up a fader to set the dim level.

Yes, yes, yes please. This is a must for Solo in Front. Maybe you can add an action to use a MIDI CC or "Shift+Mousewheel" for example. That would be great.

Mercado_Negro
08-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I just got one question:

WHY DOES IT LOWER THE SOLO-ED TRACK VOLUME? IT SHOULDN'T!!!!!

It should lower just the volume of the rest of the tracks, shouldn't it?

Dstruct
08-16-2008, 02:26 PM
WHY DOES IT LOWER THE SOLO-ED TRACK VOLUME?

It doesn't. At least not here after testing it a bit.

Mercado_Negro
08-16-2008, 02:40 PM
No?... do this set dim level to -30dB and solo a track... do you still hear your track at 0dB? am I doing something wrong?

nicholas
08-16-2008, 02:44 PM

This is a lot better, I'll test more rigorously, but first impressions are good. :)

Dstruct
08-16-2008, 02:51 PM
No?... do this set dim level to -30dB and solo a track... do you still hear your track at 0dB? am I doing something wrong?

If I solo a track its level doesn't change. If it does for you then you should post an example project ...

Mercado_Negro
08-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Let me create a project and then post it here... but before that I'll create a new one with some new channels and then try to SIF!!! I'll be back in a couple of minutes...

Mercado_Negro
08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Ok... fixed in the .exe that Justin uploaded in landoleet.org "sifupd". The track I was solo-ing was inside a folder that was routed to another folder jajaja complex audio routing fixed on this one

steadyrev
08-16-2008, 07:14 PM
any chance of reaper being able to open MOGG files ala audacity?

I daydreamed on that recently
++1

nicholas
08-16-2008, 09:16 PM

I can confirm that the 16 Aug zip file version fixes this problem.

billybk1
08-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Yee hah! ...

Yeah, I'm digging the new SIF feature. I've configured it for -12.0dB (I may continue to tweak that as I get used to it), which is suiting me so far.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Dstruct
08-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Yeah, I'm digging the new SIF feature. I've configured it for -12.0dB

Same here. -18dB was too quiet for me.