PDA

View Full Version : 'Upgrading' Reaper on Mac

artkau
09-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi all, absolute Mac noob here.

When I download the latest build of Reaper, I find that the upgrade process is stupid with a Mac... Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only way to upgrade is to copy the Reaper folder onto my Mac and replace the old one, manually copying out my folder structure from the current installation. Copying and replacing DOES NOT MERGE THE REAPER FOLDERS but rather deletes my old folder contents.

What a drag?!

How are the rest of you upgrading? I keep my convolution library and of course all my plugs in the Reaper folder, so I don't really want to be manually rebuilding my Reaper folder each time.

The best thing I have come up with so far is to simply replace the Reaper application alone, but that's not the greatest idea for obvious reasons.

Otherwise, loving Reaper on Mac, don't touch Logic and am wowing the guys at work. :)

Art

Jack Winter
09-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Noob here too, but afaik you can not drop a folder with the same name and have the content merged. OSX will completely replace the old folder with the contents of the new one. This happens in finder too. I fail to see the use of this behaviour, but seems to be how OSX is intended to work...

kerryg
09-20-2008, 11:41 AM
And honestly, as a 17-year Mac user I never saw this as an important omission up until the day I started working with PC and saw the obvious benefits - and wondered "how have we ever done without this on the Mac?".

As a "second best" suggestion, it's possible there might be some free third-party utilities that will sync folders on the Mac on versiontracker.com; if I get a little free time today I'll see if I can't recommend something that might help.

semiquaver
09-21-2008, 04:24 PM
how about this automator action: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/syncfolders.html ...

Justin
09-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Suppose we need to make a little installer, eh? :)

semiquaver
09-21-2008, 04:54 PM
thx in advnce!

zakco
09-24-2008, 11:34 PM
The lack of merge functionality in the finder is a complete joke. Apple should be ashamed for the obvious omission.

Luckily there's Copydrop.
http://www.filmscouts.com/software/cpdp.html

Great little utility. Very fast with logging.

Enjoy!

artkau
09-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Justin, I would kill for an installer! :)

Just give me a street address...

PS, I am recording a HUGE worship event this weekend on 2.51pre through two FireStudios. Punting Reaper everytime someone asks, 'so are you using protools?' :)

Tonehenge
09-26-2008, 06:33 AM
I love it when Reaper gets used for church stuff...just love it!

artkau
09-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Straight up dude, what can I say, if Christians have a sense of quality, then Reaper is the tool of choice I say! :)

semiquaver
09-26-2008, 08:40 AM
amen ! .

artkau
09-26-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm not going to fire up an entire new thread for this, is there a reason to be cautious about 2.51pre? I see it's no longer available on lol?

mrelwood
09-26-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm not going to fire up an entire new thread for this, is there a reason to be cautious about 2.51pre? I see it's no longer available on lol?

2.51 is already official. Justin outruns everybody.

Reapers born at Landoleet.org and when they have matured enough to leave home, they go to Reaper.fm.

artkau
09-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Yet another reason why I will have absolutely no hesitation in buying my version 3 license. :)

thebigcheese
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM
how about this automator action: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/syncfolders.html ...

I'm still a little mac illiterate... how do automator actions work?

toots
10-13-2008, 11:38 PM
In an attempt to keep reaper contained, I just use two finder windows, one with the "Installed" Reaper folder expanded to show the "plugins", "Data" etc.. folders. And the other containing the new version. Then, entering each folder of the "new" Reaper finder window, and grabbing the contents to drag over to the respective folders of the "Installed" finder window.

This way only pertinent files are updated, not the folder being replaced. Not perfect, but only a couple of minutes out of your day.

And as a back-up, I also keep a separate "Reaper Betas" folder with the previous versions themselves in separate folders, as well as folders for my found content, i.e., third party plugins, impulse responses and colour themes.