PDA

View Full Version : Wish You Were Here

Jurek
10-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Leave a man with a guitar alone in a studio ;-)

http://animaband.pl/Wish.mp3

This is one of my favorite songs. I hope I wasn't destroy it ;-)

bardo
10-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Nah!Sounds good dude.
Love the GTR tone ya got there.
How did you mike it?
One of my fav's too.

Bardo

dungbeetle
10-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Very nice, Jurek. :)

Gonna go play the album now ...

Jurek
10-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Thank you very much :)

The mic for the guitar was one Rode NT-5 - pointed about 12 - 14-th fret.

I'm during making an album (EP as a matter of fact, 5 tracks so far :) ). This cover is only just for a training ;) The vocal in last verse isn't quite right...

RokkD
10-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Damn!....that is one full bodied guitar sound right there, I guess the the Rode is doing it's thing, what guitar are you playing?, it's well balanced, sounds great..

Good song, well done..:)

--

livedead13
10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
i never thought i'd have any interest in ever hearing that song again, but i really dig your version.

great playing, singing and recording.

i too would like to know what kind of guitar you're playing.

Jurek
10-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Wow! Many thanks for you Good People!

I think Rode is quite cheap mic. I heard that i.e. Neumann KM84 does these things very well :)

The guitar is Taylor 210. It's 'low' model, but very nice specimen I found recently in second-hand music shop.

My friend recently showed me a better way to catch an acoustic guitar. So this song been recorded yesterday in a bit different way:

http://animaband.pl/Piosenka_dla_dzieci-final.mp3

It is a simple song I've written for my newborn Baby :)

Anomaly
10-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Hi Jurek

These recordings sound great. Do you have any more hints about mic'ing the guitar? Obviously you have done it right.
I like the room FX you have, too. It sounds naural and pleasant. I presume it's a plugin?

cheers

bluzkat
10-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Wow! Many thanks for you Good People!

I think Rode is quite cheap mic. I heard that i.e. Neumann KM84 does these things very well :)

The guitar is Taylor 210. It's 'low' model, but very nice specimen I found recently in second-hand music shop.

My friend recently showed me a better way to catch an acoustic guitar. So this song been recorded yesterday in a bit different way:

It is a simple song I've written for my newborn Baby :)

Jurek,

I haven't got a clue to what you're singing :confused: , but I really enjoyed the song. It has a *good* feel and the recording was very nice.

Jurek
10-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Thank you Anomaly & Bluzkat! :)

In second recording I used a pair of NT-5. One mic was - as before - pointed about 15-th fret (13, 14 maybe ;) ), the second one - about 10 cm higher and pointed at a hole. The reverb is CSR Room.

Jurek
10-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I decided to do some experiment with mixing ac. guitar. The link to a song remains the same :)

It seemes sound better without a compressor on guitar track. Anyway, I think for ac. guitar there should be very good compressor. I don't know VST that could manage that. I also reduced comp. ratio on vocal track.

If someone would be interested, here is lyrics for the song (excuse me for my poor English ;) ):

Song For Children

I cannot find the words to describe that moment
You start a life defenceless as a flower
Your light smile on a small face
Remains lasting mark in a heart

Chorus:
You are so small but you mean so much for me
It seems to me that God reflects in you
I already know that I forgive you everything
How you are my child - so I am yours

I was sitting in a front of a blank page
So hard to say something to your eyes
And the words are sometimes incomprehensible
So I'll whisper 'I love you' - only in my eyes

Chorus...

How long the worlds conduct their wars
How long the tears soak into this Earth
Hey Greats of this planet - look sometimes
Into child's eyes - they want to ask you something

Chorus...

Lawrence
10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, you have to watch the attack time or it kills the transients on the acoustic. It sounds good raw, use automation to tame it.

Fragile
10-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Good guitar. But vocal is out of mix (maybe bad reverb on vocal). I think vocal need improvement and guitat playing must be more clear, accurate and sharp...

Jurek
10-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Which song do you mean, Fragile?

Fragile
10-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Wish you were here...

ScalerWave
10-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Jurek,

Good recording.

"Wish You Were Here" is a song I'm very familiar with.

If you would like me to add the acoustic lead part in the beginning, let me know. You would have to add a few measures to your intro though.

I could do the harmony vocal on the last verse too if you're interested.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

SW

Syd Masters
10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Love that song....fantastic rendition! Trying to determine your country of origin...Germany? (No intent to offend).... I use a RØDE mic as well (NT1000), been impressed with them from first connection!

Anomaly
10-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Jurek, it's true that acoustic guitar brings many compressor into knees. I'd like to recommend you to try a compressor called endorphin (http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=3), unless you have already tried. I think it sounds just superb on ac. No pumping, no attack suction. Thanks for the recording tips.
I'll check your new mix soon.
cheers

Jurek
10-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Wish you were here...

You are right, especially last verse. But this was not so serious, just to warm up before something else ;-)

Jurek
10-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Jerek,
If you would like me to add the acoustic lead part in the beginning, let me know. You would have to add a few measures to your intro though.

I could do the harmony vocal on the last verse too if you're interested.
SW

I think it's good idea :) Though, I'm afraid it's to poor version. I should do it again, with click etc. Maybe I try at weekend - I will let you know, ok?

Jurek
10-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Love that song....fantastic rendition! Trying to determine your country of origin...Germany? (No intent to offend).... I use a RØDE mic as well (NT1000), been impressed with them from first connection!

Thank you :) I'm Polish ;)

Jurek
10-27-2008, 05:49 AM
I'd like to recommend you to try a compressor called endorphin

Many thanks - I will try it!

ScalerWave
10-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Jurek,

Using click would make things a bit easier for me and tighen things up a bit, good idea. Since you are using Reaper, you could just tell me the BPM you used when tracking and I could just turn on my metronome on Reaper here. It should be in sync.

I could add the 12 string part also for a bit more authenticity. I would just add the notes and not strum the 12 string since that is how it sounds in the original.

Yeah, let me know how the new version turns out.

When I play this tune, I like to add the F# note on the 6th string when playing the D chord. Adding the low G note on the 6th string for the C chord gives the C chord a nice full sound also.

I'll do a little demo of the lead part and post a link so you can check it out. I just play it note for note instead of doing a variation.

SW

I think it's good idea :) Though, I'm afraid it's to poor version. I should do it again, with click etc. Maybe I try at weekend - I will let you know, ok?

ScalerWave
10-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Jurek,

Here is a link to the demo.

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/275402/SW_Wish%20You%20Were%20Here_lead%20demo%201.wav

I should have rendered it in .mp3 format but I don't have the mp3 encoder for Reaper. It's not that big though....only about 6MB.

I used Loser's "fake stereo" plug to make the lead part a bit more pronounced.

SW

martygras
10-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I love the song, and you've done a very nice job of it.

Jurek
11-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Thank you, Martygras :)

Jurek,
Here is a link to the demo.
I should have rendered it in .mp3 format but I don't have the mp3 encoder for Reaper. It's not that big though....only about 6MB.
SW

Very nice job. What guitar have you used? Very good sound!

You can get lame_enc.dll from somewhere in the web (it's free) and put it to Reaper dir and you are ready to render to mp3 :)

I'm not sure if click will be the same. I'm afraid that it depends on the interface's clock. To be sure I think we need a click track rendered to a 16-bit wav and sent over.

But now I'm just finishing my record and I have to do some recording and mixing in next few days (and nights). A lot of work, in fact! ;) After this and after few days-rest I would think about our song :)

See you later!
Jurek

ScalerWave
11-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Jurek,

Take your time...no hurry. It was just a thought. I didn't know that you were working on a record.

The guitar that I played in the clip was a Larrivee.

Thanks for the compliments and the heads-up on the mp3 encoder.

I'll check into that one.

SW