PDA

View Full Version : Where is the stuff that change the world?

3mph
10-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi.

Is it just me, or do we rarely see new things in the software-audio-world? I mean, I was blown away by cubase on an Atari - it litteraly changed the way I made music. Then came things like software effects that sounded almost like the ones I had to plug cables into (and pay a lot for). ReBirth changed the view on software, convincing the world that you could actually have copies of the real world on your desktop. After that there was smaller revolutions like AutoTune, amazing synthesizers and audio-manipulators, sequencers that allows you to edit material in details (timestretching, pitch-editing, audio-replacement, change timing etc etc).

When I have a look at KVR I see a lot of sequels, synthesizers in version 3, bigger sound libraries, improvement of old ideas.

Where should I look for the new stuff today? Or have we reached the barrier?

ngarjuna
10-25-2008, 04:07 AM
I think the "barrier", in this case, is attitudinal: engineers are as nostalgic as any profession I can imagine. Not only in an "old classic gear" way, but also when it comes to workflow and the like: a lot of DAW functionality strikes me as a way to make engineers comfortable despite working on a computer instead of a desk or rack. I am willing to bet that a few very interesting innovations along the way didn't really catch on because the paradigm was too far from what experienced engineers are used to. But as engineers are more and more born in the computer age as opposed to being baby boomers that trend could definitely change.