PDA

View Full Version : Using more than one soundcard

Saukar30
09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
I have righ now my old Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 that I ahve been using for a while. I am however going to be getting a new soundcard (Emu 1212m) to get some more headroom when I record. However, I want to take advantage of the situation and use both of these at the same time. I was wondering if anyone does the follwoing setup (and if it works efficently):

1. Play audio through one soundacrd
2. Pass the audio through outboard effects (Limiter, tube pre)
3. From the fx, go into a 2nd soundcard on the computer
4. From that second card go into a different app to record (Reaper / Audition, etc)

My computer is a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, 1 GB of ram. Right now, my CPU usage stays kind fo high when I running a lot of tracks, but I would be only recording one track at a time anyways.

Saukar30
09-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Really...no one has ever tried this to try to get some warmth on their digital audio? I see postings about it all of the time, I just wanted some feedback.

Justin
09-29-2006, 01:10 PM
the short answer is that there a lot of problems when combining multiple soundcards that aren't unified at the driver level into one... So REAPER doesnt really support this, though I think some software does (though not very well). There are lots of synchronization issues with doing that.

-Justin

Saukar30
09-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks, Justin.

BTW, I just seen that you have implemented Rewire & fixed it all in the same day (along with posting replies). Whatever caffeine you have in your cup you be the be the sole marketer LOL

I think I went misunderstood though. I was really referring to playing my instrumental music from app & one soundcard and then running it thorugh outboard fx back into and another soundcard and then Reaper. I don't want to use the sample application because I have most of my music in Orion already but I want to give my tracks some air individually and let them come back in. Hope it's not too confusing

kenn
09-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I think I [was] misunderstood though. I was really referring to playing my instrumental music from app & one soundcard and then running it thorugh outboard fx back into and another soundcard and then Reaper. I don't want to use the sample application because I have most of my music in Orion already but I want to give my tracks some air individually and let them come back in. Hope it's not too confusing

Hi,

As Justin said, trying to use 2 different soundcards at the same time, in the SAME APP, can be a big problem.

But if each soundcard was being used by a different app... I think it would work OK. I just tried playing an MP3 through the onboard sound of my motherboard, and at the same time I played Reaper through my Audiofile 2496... and it worked OK!

So I think that what you are considering would work OK too.