PDA

View Full Version : Prance - A little something for the fun of it.

danielb
04-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi all,

I was playing around with a new synthesizer that I have just added to my system, and this just kind of wrote itself.

Everything except the drums is played on the new synth, and you should have no trouble guessing what it is. It's the first time I have done a whole piece on one synth, but then it's a pretty special synth.

http://www.type34.info/temp/My%20Compositions/Prance.mp3

Feedback welcome as usual.

Daniel

danielb
04-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Hi all,

I made some corrections to the drums part: I apparently still have some things to learn about Jamstix. The new version is on the same link as above.

BTW, what's supposed the be the problem with Reaper for composing electronic music? I've never used it for anything else and it seems to do the job OK.

I suppose I should add this to the list of mysteries of the modern world, like "what the hell are you supposed to do with a 25-key keyboard" . .

D.

henge
04-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Not mu cuppa tea but the balance and mix seem right on the money.
I do not prance though so.....

danielb
04-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Not mu cuppa tea but the balance and mix seem right on the money.
I do not prance though so.....

Thanks . . . . .:)

ScalerWave
04-14-2009, 12:46 PM
The mix is sounding really good.

Which synth did you use?

Do you do any Depeche Mode covers?

My problems with Reaper come in when I try to use Proteus VX. There is something screwy with the way the sound bank is initialized when loading the project up for the second time. Sometimes it works and other times Reaper just freezes up as soon as I hit play.

I don't have any problems with Cakewalks TTS synth though....except that it pretty much sux. Too bad Proteus is so flaky...at least on my system.

danielb
04-14-2009, 01:02 PM
The mix is sounding really good.

Which synth did you use?

Do you do any Depeche Mode covers?

My problems with Reaper come in when I try to use Proteus VX. There is something screwy with the way the sound bank is initialized when loading the project up for the second time. Sometimes it works and other times Reaper just freezes up as soon as I hit play.

I don't have any problems with Cakewalks TTS synth though....except that it pretty much sux. Too bad Proteus is so flaky...at least on my system.

Hi,

Thanks.

Everything in this piece is Sylenth1, except the drums, which are Jamstix.

Depeche Mode covers?? I recently wrote a song, which, I was told by everyone, sounded like Depeche Mode, but I've never done a cover. I fully intend to do a cover of "Everything Counts" one day. I'm going to see Depeche Mode live in May which is kind of exciting.

I was also underwhelmed by Proteus VX. The sounds are OK, but I found it to be flaky. Whether this is just a problem with Reaper, I've no idea. I've never tried it with anything else. It's not a problem really, since I prefer VAs anyway, and I have both Wusikstation and a proper hardware Roland JV-1080 if I want a good rompler.

Sylenth1 is just utterly brilliant. I have played a few synths in my time, and this just has to be the best sounding I have ever used. It's fairly feature-light, but the ease with which you can make musically useful sounds is just breathtaking. On most synths it's all too easy to end up with something that sounds like a hooter; with Sylenth1 practically any tweak of a knob produces something useful.

Daniel