PDA

View Full Version : A Song ------ acoustic gtr

Timothy Lawler
12-18-2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.timothylawler.com/merry.mp3

First tune using Reaper.

rforssell
12-19-2006, 07:55 AM
All I can say is... WOW THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!! Ehh... fantastic! Such sensitiveness...tone... and feel... ouch! :) You're a great guitarplayer, Tim! Thnx for sharing!

malcolmj
12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, very nice recording. Great work Tim. :)

Alistair S
12-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Really nice work! And a very merry christmas to you too :)

Timothy Lawler
12-19-2006, 10:30 PM
rforssell, malcolmj, Alistair - I appreciate your listening. Thanks.

pjk
12-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Very nice. Nice tone, and playing. Those oddball chord progressions always give me fits =).

course I should probably practice more =).

Very nice all around.

Timothy Lawler
12-21-2006, 09:13 AM
...Those oddball chord progressions always give me fits =)...Hey I know what you mean. Gimme a good ol' 3 chord blues any day. Thanks man.

Nice site you've got pjk, with all the pics of your band and studio construction.

pjk
12-22-2006, 06:53 PM
wow, that site hasn't been touched in like 4 years. i've been doing web work for $$$ now, and my name site definately has suffered from lack of attention.

I certainly have to do some updating =).

hmmm, maybe I should pay myself for an overhaul. =)

pjk
12-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I just played your tune for the family, they were all impressed as well.

The missus told me 'that's what you're supposed to be doing'

heh heh, she thinks I should practice more too.

Timothy Lawler
12-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks pjk. Much easier to impress someone hearing you for the first time than those who hear you play every day. Our wives are our toughest critics. My wife tends to say, "Can't you play something I haven't heard yet?".

billybk1
12-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Hey, I just listened to your first REAPER recording. It is very well played & recorded. I like the well placed spaciousness of the guitar tracks. How did you record the guitars? Is the guitar sound a combination of room ambience and selected FX?

Cheers,

Billy Buck

maa
12-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Very nice - thanks for sharing!

Timothy Lawler
12-30-2006, 07:05 AM
maa and billybk1 - thanks for the listen.

...How did you record the guitars? Is the guitar sound a combination of room ambience and selected FX?
OK, here's the tracking info. Takamine F312S small-body acoustic w/very light gauge strings, large room w/high ceiling.

Backing gtr part mic'd w/ Behringer ECM8000 and MXL990 positioned together 2 ft from neck/body joint, panned hard L/R. Lead gtr mic'd w/ ECM8000, same position. Pre's/converters: Tascam US122.

Slight SIR verb added, very short decay - maybe .6 sec. Voxengo Soniformer (multiband comp) for some low-mids control on louder passages. Waves L2 for dither. Used volume envelopes in Reaper on the lead gtr.

billybk1
12-30-2006, 05:31 PM
maa and billybk1 - thanks for the listen.

OK, here's the tracking info. Takamine F312S small-body acoustic w/very light gauge strings, large room w/high ceiling.

Backing gtr part mic'd w/ Behringer ECM8000 and MXL990 positioned together 2 ft from neck/body joint, panned hard L/R. Lead gtr mic'd w/ ECM8000, same position. Pre's/converters: Tascam US122.

Slight SIR verb added, very short decay - maybe .6 sec. Voxengo Soniformer (multiband comp) for some low-mids control on louder passages. Waves L2 for dither. Used volume envelopes in Reaper on the lead gtr.

Thanks, for the info,

Billy Buck

Timothy Lawler
01-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Is the guitar sound a combination of room ambience and selected FX?Hey, I realize I didn't give you a direct answer to that. I think the gtr sound was most influenced by playing very softly and tracking in a big enough room where ther wasn't any low end buildup.

Solar
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
hey Timo!

This recording is marvellous... wonderfull.. if you do not mind, with your permission i'm gonna downlaod this song to my computer and listen to it from time to time when my mood is into that amazing soft and delivious playing. Wow!! And also recorded in Reaper and blanced in Reaper, sounds very very good. Bravo!!

cyberturbo
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I know I'm late in the game but this is excellent! Very musical. Thank you for sharing this.

Timothy Lawler
01-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Solar and cyberturbo - Hey thanks for commenting. Solar, download away amigo. Yours for the listening.

christopher page
07-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I really like the chord progressions the Key of the song and the melodies your playing out, and right about mid-song you change the tempo just a bit.
But if not for just my own amusment, can you tell us how the series of guitars were recorded, via a interface, straight through a sound card, did you mic it or use a built in preamp to your acoustic guitar etc.
Just some few recording notes if ya dont mind, thank you much.

Mike1
07-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Timothy, it is a victory! My wife has fallen asleep under your music! You can make the second tune using Reaper? I wish to wake it.

Michael.

Timothy Lawler
07-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Christopher and Mike - thanks for your nice comments. Christopher, the guitars were recorded with external mikes - actually the recording chain and other details are listed in post 13 but if you want to know about anything else let me know.

CoffeeMilkshake
07-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Just listened to it, Tim.

Man, you're something of a player!!
And the tune...it's Summer but I swear I can see the snow falling outside my window! ;)
Really wonderful work, all the way from playing to the actual mix.
Keep it up!

CM

Timothy Lawler
03-06-2008, 03:18 PM
...it's Summer but I swear I can see the snow falling outside my window! Thank you CM. Sorry for the long-delayed response... I've been distracted to a fault I admit. Your comment was uplifting and I greatly appreciate it.

smueske
03-06-2008, 04:57 PM
This is phenomenal! Excellent sound and playing. Very heartfelt and subdued. Thanks for sharing!

Timothy Lawler
03-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks smueske!

longcipher
03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Tim - seriously - this is the smoothest of smoothest. Your playing evokes Nat King Cole's voice - love it. You may try easing off the reverb a hair, or using a smaller 'space' - but the playing and recording is spot-on.

Bubbagump
03-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Your playing evokes Nat King Cole's voice - love it.
What I was thinking myself....

teej813
03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
very nice, timothy! while it's March, and i'm desperately praying for warm weather, your song almost made me wish it would snow.

almost... ;)

Seriously, very nice.

tj

Timothy Lawler
03-22-2008, 01:44 AM
longcipher and Bubbagump - Thanks! Nat Cole's one of the best of the best ever so anybody's gotta love just being mentioned in the same sentence as him. Yep, the verb got carried away and took on a life of its own. I didn't follow my usual note-to-self to always cut the verb by half before mixdown, heh. Should have.

teej813 - Thanks for the snowy comment.