PDA

View Full Version : I hope this is a newbie monitoring question

chrisharris
10-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I've been recording for awhile, but I have a question that seems like it should be easy to answer, because I'm positive I've overcome this issue before with a Firepod...I just can't remember how I did it??

My Firepod died recently, and I replaced it with an M-Audio Firewire Solo. It records fine (although I do miss the pres in the Presonus, to be honest...who knew?). But it gets the job done.

The problem is with monitoring. When I arm a track in Reaper to record, the default (for some reason) seems to be no sound whatsoever (i.e., speaker icon x'd out)...I click that button to either "on" or "auto" and sound then comes through my headphones. Ok, great...we're rolling...

But there's some serious latency...like when I'm singing, it sounds like I'm singing through a flanger. It records fine, and I can plow through it, but I really would just like to hear the direct signal either that's going to the computer or coming out of it...not both? I'm not even sure that's what's happening, but I assume the signal is being split somewhere and I'm hearing both the original and the delayed signal.

I assume this is not a Reaper question at all, but a setting in Windows (Vista, by the way), but I can't seem to figure it out.

Anybody? I've had this issue before, and I somehow fixed it, so I really don't think it's just the Firewire Solo, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

chrisharris
10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm gonna' post this on the off chance that anybody besides me buys an M-Audio FW Solo and can't figure out how to do direct monitoring, lol.

There is a TINY button in the firewire control panel (i.e., nothing in Reaper) that says "1/2" - it's under the "LINK" button in the input section (which is retarded, since it's actually for outputs).

anyway, click that button and you can monitor directly from the the Solo. No need to monitor through Reaper, so no latency. Obviously, you can't monitor with track FX, but only insecure horrible singers need to do that anyway, right? lol.

I swear, it took me hours to figure that out, and I actually READ the M-Audio manual.

Good tracks to you all.

brainwreck
10-03-2009, 10:31 PM
sounds like the m-audio panel is still confusing as hell. i doubt they'll ever fix it.

chrisharris
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
sounds like the m-audio panel is still confusing as hell. i doubt they'll ever fix it.

lol...well, that actually makes me feel better. I hadn't owned an MAudio anything since my old DMP3, which was actually a decent little preamp for the price. I abused the hell out of that thing, but it at least had some metal components...I eventually destroyed it, but it took awhile.

Hey, I got my Firepod back!! Weirdest thing...it took about 9 hours of trying to install it on 3 different computers, but I finally got it installed on one of them, then was able to do a firmware update, plugged it into my normal rig, and *bam*...worked fine.

I don't totally trust it yet, but it's functional, it has a mix knob, the preamps aren't THAT bad, and the converters aren't THAT bad, so the fact that it's made out of metal and has a mix knob means it wins.

Anybody need a Firewire SOLO with a confusing interface but AWESOME technical support from me? :D