PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Wanna' Play Bass On This?

chrisharris
10-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I know my limits when it comes to bass, and I can't do anything but suck on this song.

It's a friend of a friend who asked me to track a few songs for him. He's not horrible, but it's just not my bag. I could just give him what he recorded (acoustic guitars and vocals), but I like the guy, and I wanted to help him out with a more full arrangement.

If anybody is moved by this to pick up a bass and record, I'd be grateful.

BTW - The "drums" are just a non-changing loop right now to let you know sort of what the groove is...they will improve once I get a bass track that allows me to care enough to finish this song, LOL!!!

Not really mixed yet, either...Man, can I sell a f*&^ing song or what?!?!?!

Thanks for any help...or not, lol!!! :D

Couldn't It Be You (http://www.centraltexaslegal.com/music/beyou10.20.09.mp3)

chrisharris
10-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I'll play bass on this. Give me a week or so.

Marc

Thanks man!

Oh yeah, it has to be totally finished by Thursday, lol. :D

See, it's not enough for me to ask for favors, I also need to leave out important information like that in order to be a complete douchebag.

Truth is, if nobody can do it, I'll end up doing something, but I feel like this is one of those songs where the bass could really shine...the song has a lot of changes and counterpoint...sounds like a bass song to me, and I'm a hack.

Thanks anyway, brother.

Tedwood
10-20-2009, 02:17 PM
I like this a lot - I'll give it a shot too

chrisharris
10-20-2009, 03:12 PM
I like this a lot - I'll give it a shot too

Fantastic. I really appreciate the effort.

chrisharris
10-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi:

No luck on getting tracks yet, but I updated the link up top after working on the drums some. The mix should sound weird right now, because there's a big EQ hole in it for (hopefully) a bass track. C'MON BASS PLAYERS...IT'S JUST SITTING THERE WAITING FOR YOU TO BE AWESOME!!!)

:D

stupeT
10-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Beautiful tune, btw.

Tedwood
10-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Hi:

No luck on getting tracks yet, but I updated the link up top after working on the drums some. The mix should sound weird right now, because there's a big EQ hole in it for (hopefully) a bass track. C'MON BASS PLAYERS...IT'S JUST SITTING THERE WAITING FOR YOU TO BE AWESOME!!!)

I have been learning it, but I can't do it quickly, I doubt that I can awesome either, but I will get something down anyway. Maybe someone can do it a lot quicker and better (BUMP). If I am too late it doesn't matter. Sorry - if you had wanted a guitar part I could have done it in half an hour ;)

chrisharris
10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
I have been learning it, but I can't do it quickly, I doubt that I can awesome either, but I will get something down anyway. Maybe someone can do it a lot quicker and better (BUMP). If I am too late it doesn't matter. Sorry - if you had wanted a guitar part I could have done it in half an hour ;)

Dude, please...don't apologize. I always enjoy the process of internet collaborations. Whether a part works out or not, it's all about the journey and the musical exploration.

Tedwood
10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Dude, please...don't apologize. I always enjoy the process of internet collaborations. Whether a part works out or not, it's all about the journey and the musical exploration.

Sorry, I'm one of those annoying people that can't help saying sorry, even when there is no reason to be sorry.......

Sorry if it annoys you half as much as it does me

Internet collabs are awesome though - especially if you can't get out much for some reason

Jacko
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
You might get more responses if you post the chords instead of leaving it for us to figure out.

Just a suggestion :)

Best regards, Jack

Wolffman
10-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi Chris, This sounds like a good project & i did have a quick play along but ( totally exposes his lack of musicianship :D ) i'm not so great a finding the changes quickly :) ( i'm so not a technical musician ). So, if you wouldn't mind putting together a chord chart of sorts and posting it here ? , it doesn't have to be fancy, just the chord progressions for the different song sections i'll have a shot at it over the next few days.

Cheers

EDIT: opps, jacko beat me to it :)

peter5992
10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Great song - found anyone yet?

If not I'll be happy to help you out. Probably not tonight, if that is a real deadline. No need to post chords - song is on D Major, I can make out the chord progressions by ear.

Let me know.

chrisharris
10-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Hey guys...Yeah, sorry about the chord thing...I didn't write it or play it, so I'm really not sure what the progression is without sitting down and charting it out by ear. Frankly, if I was willing to do that, I'd just play bass on it, HA!!!

Anyway, I'm just posting to say thank you for considering it. I got 3 submissions by folks at homerecording.com, and I'm going to just let the songwriter pick his favorite.

Here's one of them if anybody's interested in hearing what another player did. This isn't a mix...it's just the player's bass track on top of the mp3 of the song...it'll sit better when I can work with it a little, but it's not bad.

Couldn't It Be You - www.centraltexaslegal.com/music/cibyltbob.mp3

geo242
10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Nice track. Hope you find a great bass line for it. If I had seen this earlier I would have given it a shot.

Out of curiosity... The main guitars are double tracked and panned hard, correct? Any other treatments to get that nice stereo sound on them?

Jacko
10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Here's one of them if anybody's interested in hearing what another player did. This isn't a mix...it's just the player's bass track on top of the mp3 of the song...

Hey, sounds good. The tune is coming together for you.

regards, Jack

chrisharris
10-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Out of curiosity... The main guitars are double tracked and panned hard, correct? Any other treatments to get that nice stereo sound on them?

That's correct...I don't usually pan this widely..rarely more than 60%, but the acoustic guitar parts were played very softly, and it just sounded better hard panned. The only other thing on them is a PSP Vintage Warmer, and I know you asked about the stereo field and this type of compressor should have nothing to do with that, but I've noticed that it actually does effect it, even if only subliminally. The way it makes the low mids on an acoustic ring out and sustain makes the guitars sound bigger, period.

I didn't play the guitars on this, but if I had, I would have used a capo on one of them. Playing one guitar open and using a capo on the 2nd or 4th frets on the other guitar, plus panning, plus PSP Vintage Warmer = SOUNDS LIKE TEN GUITARS, lol.

Finally, I'd like to thank you guys for listening and for offering. I just got more tracks more quickly than I thought I would, and I got them all mixed and sent to the artist for him to decide.

If anybody's WILDLY bored, here are the 4 bass tracks that made the cut. The mixes are identical except for the bass tracks.

www.centraltexaslegal.com/music/cibyltbob10.23.09.mp3
www.centraltexaslegal.com/music/cibyjoro10.23.09.mp3
www.centraltexaslegal.com/music/cibychili10.23.09b.mp3
www.centraltexaslegal.com/music/cibymuzik10.23.09.mp3

Thanks again for helping out.

Wolffman
10-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Well i suppose you have this tune done and dusted already but i did want to have a shot at a bass track so i thought what the hell and did one anyway :)
I know i'm really !! late to the party but i thought i'd post it anyway.
Its a little loose here & there might even be the odd bum note ;) but you'll get the general idea.
I wanted to get it done sooner but i was busy with some gigs over the last few weeks.

I used my MIJ Squier P-Bass & theres a bit of EQ & Comp on the bass for the bounce down.

Here tis

http://shup.com/tempo/markers/234431/Bass-bounce.mp3

Cheers

Edit: Does anyone know whats happened to the player ? its been down for a couple week here. Anybody else lost the player.

shemp
10-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Edit: Does anyone know whats happened to the player ? its been down for a couple week here. Anybody else lost the player.

The player has been gone for a while now. However, I do not miss it.

Tedwood
10-30-2009, 05:18 PM
The player has been gone for a while now. However, I do not miss it.

Handy tip

The Smoker you Drink the Player you get

all you need to know now is what did Joe Walsh mean when he said that

JMills
10-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Here tis

That is freaking tasty, man. Kudos.

chrisharris
10-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Here tis

http://shup.com/tempo/markers/234431/Bass-bounce.mp3

Just about as perfect as it can be for the song. It's a dynamic line without being too busy. I seriously wish I'd gotten that earlier, but I'm going to send it to him anyway.

(it'll just about kill me when he picks it because I offloaded all of the session files onto another drive, hahaha)...but I think it's worth it.

Can you upload just the bass track somewhere?

And thanks.

Wolffman
11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I'll have to email it via yousendit, PM me your email address and i'll get it to you.
Thats if your friend wants to use it of course :)

I'm happy you like it either way.

Cheers