PDA

View Full Version : One track or many?

357mag
10-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Okay I'm using EZ Drummer most if not all the time and you know when you look at the MIDI Data all that info is contained on one track. But let's say afterwards you put all the drums on their own tracks.

So my question is are you using one track or are you using as many tracks as you have laid out in front of you where the drums are on?

brainwreck
10-21-2009, 09:58 PM
it's up to you. you probably want to at least setup tracks for overheads, snare, and kick. but hey, if a single track works, or if you want everything separated, that's your choice. it would be best to experiment for yourself.

357mag
10-21-2009, 10:05 PM
No you didn't understand my question. I have all the drums put on their own tracks. But all the MIDI data for the drums is still on one track in the track pane correct?

So how is this interpreted? Do you have eight tracks or so or do you still have just one track?

Zee Wavesurfer
10-21-2009, 11:21 PM
1 midi track is enough if it ain't clustering your workflow too much .
Assigning the VSTi to multi-output or not is also by user's choice.

gofer
10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
It depends on the goal to acchieve here. Most of the time I use only one MIDI track, but it might be that I seperate hihats or cymbales or the snare. Just what I need to reach the goal at hand. Sometimes I use a single track with FIPM enabled and just place the items in parallel, other times (more seldom) I'll use seperate tracks.
Using seperate items allows for easy independant loop/copy/paste of kit parts. Using seperate tracks allows for the use of a pre-FX volume envelope (to do MIDI velocity stuff) on individual kit parts.

Generally I'll beginn with one MIDI track and only if I need more flexibility I just go ahead and split kit parts out.

357mag
10-22-2009, 12:06 AM
What I'm trying to get at is if you have one track of MIDI data that represents the drums and cymbals but you have the drums separated out so they are on let's say eight tracks, how do you interpret that?

Since you only have one track of MIDI data do you have just one track for the drums?

Or since you separated all the drums out onto eight tracks do you have eight tracks for the drums?

I realize my question may seem bizarre.

Zee Wavesurfer
10-22-2009, 12:08 AM
MIDI feeds the VSTi period.

There is no relation between the MIDI feed to the VSTi and the number of tracks the VSTi will feed the project with.

Anton Farmer
10-22-2009, 12:29 AM
I think what 357mag is asking here is how do you see the individual midi hits for say the hi-hats

Can he for instance copy and paste the midi EX drum track into the hi-hat track and see just the hi-hat data so that he can edit individual hits on just the hi-hat part of the EZ midi data

I think 357mag wants to see the midi data for each individual track

If I'm off the target here ignore me, I'm sorry!

I would like to know the answer to this question as well..........

Cheers
Anton

gofer
10-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Can he for instance copy and paste the midi EX drum track into the hi-hat track and see just the hi-hat data so that he can edit individual hits on just the hi-hat part of the EZ midi data

I think 357mag wants to see the midi data for each individual track

If you drag a groove out of ezdrummers gui onto a track, all kit parts will be on that track, no matter how you call that track. So if you have two MIDI tracks, one for hihat and one for the rest of the kit, dragging a groove on the hihat track will still also trigger ezdrummer's kick if there are kick notes in that groove. You'd either have to delete (or mute) all but the hihat notes to change that, or use a MIDI FX to block all but hihat notes on that track before the send to the vsti track.

EzPlayer allows to drag individual kit parts out of a groove onto tracks. So you can grab the hihat notes from a chosen groove seperately and drag them onto the hihat track.
I highly recommend EzPlayer for this and other features (instant remapping on the fly). It's a cool tool not only to audition MIDI drum files, but other type of MIDI files as well

DarkStar
10-22-2009, 02:01 AM
You can do it whichever way is best for you;
-- single track with all the different drums in each clip
-- multiple tracks, each track with clips containing the hits for a single drum, all the tracks routed to the VSTi,
-- single track, using FIPM, with separate clips for each drum.

As in:
http://img21.**************/img21/7388/r313dsdrums01.th.png (http://img21.**************/i/r313dsdrums01.png/)]
Big pic
http://img21.**************/img21/7388/r313dsdrums01.png

-- here I have selected track 7 and one the clips, then I "open all the clips in a single editor"
-- that's the method I tend to use (simpler routing, easier editing), but try them all out

stupeT
10-22-2009, 02:08 AM
For one VSTi I usually use just one MIDI track. REAPER can filter per channel to see / work on one channel only.

All drums usually are on MIDI channel 10. I like to see all instruments at once. With the notes mapped to GM drums. This way one can "see" the rhythm and easily edit it...

kindafishy
10-22-2009, 05:54 AM
What I'm trying to get at is if you have one track of MIDI data that represents the drums and cymbals but you have the drums separated out so they are on let's say eight tracks, how do you interpret that?

Since you only have one track of MIDI data do you have just one track for the drums?

Or since you separated all the drums out onto eight tracks do you have eight tracks for the drums?

I realize my question may seem bizarre.

I would interpret this as 8 tracks of drums, with the midi track just being a control set. To go further, once I was happy with my midi and the drum sounds, I might record the output to the drum tracks, disable the VSTi and hide the midi control track using SWS to remove the unnecessary clutter and free up the CPU/memory.

Maybe the question is a little bizarre :). I am curious to know why you are asking this. Are you trying to wrap your head around a concept or something?

357mag
10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Yeah it's just a thought I had that's all. I have no intention of separating out each MIDI data track. I've got no real use for that. But sometimes you get these thoughts and questions in your head.

Zee Wavesurfer
10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Just in case...

That wasn't a stupid question at all.

Anton Farmer
10-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks Gofer and DarkStar that was interesting for me even if it wasn't what the OP wanted!

I'll take a look at what you suggest but I might have to come back and ask a few more dumb questions on here.......:)

Cheers
Anton

Lazz
10-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah it's just a thought I had that's all. I have no intention of separating out each MIDI data track. I've got no real use for that. But sometimes you get these thoughts and questions in your head.

Totally...I asked and went through the same thing a few months ago and started using the hole separate midi on all the tracks with intentions of having more control of the drums, editing wise etc. I used this method for a few months. For me, in the end it actually just became more time consuming, specifically if you have like 10-15 drum tracks on top of like 20-30+ tracks to navigate through, Way to much scrolling me. I would say no one way is better than the other, its just about what works better for you.