PDA

View Full Version : Best Cabinet IR's?

mtthw
11-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I got the demo for audio ease cabinet, I wonder if I can find free IR's that sound as good. It sounds really, really good, like I'm in a club listening to a guitar player.

Convolution plugins depend on the IR's, right? So if I find good enough cabinet IR's, couldn't I just load them into ReaVerb?

Thanks

Fingle
11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
you can make your own impulses of your fav Cabinet settings using Voxengo Deconvolver. it's very easy.

jamieskeen
11-08-2009, 05:13 PM
there is a collection that is on sale right now, http://recabi.net/site/products/recabinet-complete-20/ check those out, hell of a deal

pattonfreak1
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
On the Ultimate Metal forums there's exceellent IR's from Metaltastic, Guitar Hack, and Catharsis Studios.

Lokasenna
11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
The forums over on www.guitarampmodeling.com have a bunch of good ones too.

mtthw
11-09-2009, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm checking out the reimpulses sale demo pack and these forums, and see if I can start making my own, too, with Voxengo Deconvolver.

Wow, a whole forum about Impulse Responses, too!

Magicbuss
11-09-2009, 08:47 AM
The recabinet IR's are decent but the red wire cabs are superior. They have a limited selection but IMO these are the best available.

http://www.redwirez.com/

shawnguess
11-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm working on an entire collection as well. Similar to the offerings of Red Wirez and Recabinet, but I have a slightly different method that I think yields more harmonically rich and better sounding results.

When complete in the next couple of weeks, they will be available at

http://www.thedigitalgod.com

HOFX
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Shawnguess, how's the progress with your cab IRs?

Lazz
01-06-2010, 12:21 PM
On the Ultimate Metal forums there's exceellent IR's from Metaltastic, Guitar Hack, and Catharsis Studios.

+1

ReCabinet is also very good.

shawnguess
01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Shawnguess, how's the progress with your cab IRs?

its going. my web guy has been out of commission for a bit, and of course hes taking care of the download system and all that, so it has delayed the project. but, in the mean time, i have acquired new mic's and new cabinets that will be included in the package -- so perhaps the delay wasnt such a bad thing. thanks for your interest.

pjk
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
At least the spinning logo looks cool =)

Deltones
01-07-2010, 05:48 PM
The recabinet IR's are decent but the red wire cabs are superior. They have a limited selection but IMO these are the best available.

http://www.redwirez.com/

Seconded. I bought them to use with my Axe-Fx. They are indeed superior.

Tedwood
01-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Check this page out for cabs and reverb IR's

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview.php?t=62458&start=0

Rome
01-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Seconded. I bought them to use with my Axe-Fx. They are indeed superior.

Same here. The Bigbox Bundle makes my Standard scream. :)

HOFX
01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Can someone explain what makes the RedWirez cab IRs better than the ReCabinet ones? It seems to be a pretty consistent opinion on a few different forums, but I've never seen anyone state objectively (if that's possible) what the difference is.

Magicbuss
01-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Can someone explain what makes the RedWirez cab IRs better than the ReCabinet ones? It seems to be a pretty consistent opinion on a few different forums, but I've never seen anyone state objectively (if that's possible) what the difference is.

1. I think redwirez sound better

2. Originally recabinet had a glitch where several ms of silence at the beginning of each impulse. This was rectified with an update but that kind of mistake is a bit amateurish IMO. That said the price I paid for the bundle was very fair ($15) and the updates were free. Its a good deal for sure.

3. the sheer # of options you get with redwirez is amazing. Multiple mics. Multiple Distances: 1"-6", 1ft, Farfield (6ft+) and room ambience. Multiple speaker positions from cap to the edge of the cone. Multiple resolutions from 44/16 to 96/24. That's all included for EACH cab.

Seriously... the default cabs found in almost all modeling hardware or software are TERRIBLE. Using Redwire, recabinet or some of the excellent free cabs would be an instant upgrade.

That said, I think Redwire cabs are the single best upgrade you can make to improve your direct guitar tone short of buying the axe-FX and it makes the AXE sound better too.

CatharsisStudios
07-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Redwire has shitty highend compared to recabinet because they used a hi-fi amp.

you don't play through a hi-fi amp

Rome
07-04-2010, 05:02 PM
If you want power amp sound then use a power amp simulator. I personally don't want power amp sound coloring in my speaker IRs. Neutral amplification is the only way to keep the coloring of (usually crappy) guitar amplification technology out of the equation.

You don't play a Marshall through a Fender power amp if you want Marshall-only sound on a cabinet.

Lokasenna
07-04-2010, 06:05 PM
If you want power amp sound then use a power amp simulator. I personally don't want power amp sound coloring in my speaker IRs. Neutral amplification is the only way to keep the coloring of (usually crappy) guitar amplification technology out of the equation.

You don't play a Marshall through a Fender power amp if you want Marshall-only sound on a cabinet.

A neutral amplifier costs money (in fact, I'd guess a fair amount of money, seeing how much neutral speakers cost versus regular ones), whereas anyone with a guitar cabinet probably has a guitar power amp to drive it.

Rome
07-04-2010, 06:42 PM
A neutral amplifier costs money (in fact, I'd guess a fair amount of money, seeing how much neutral speakers cost versus regular ones), whereas anyone with a guitar cabinet probably has a guitar power amp to drive it.

I agree but I think he talked about the recording process of the impulse files and not the amplification of the guitar at the end of the chain.

IIRC Redwirez used a very high quality ( = expensive) studio power amplifier to record the IRs. That is way beyond the usual hifi home stereo setup and is as neutral as it gets.

chip mcdonald
07-04-2010, 06:50 PM

Yeah, but then that's not a cabinet IR but an amp/cab IR.

A "neutral" amp - some sort of non-distorting fast slew rate power amp - shouldn't be that big of a deal for anyone going to the trouble of making a decent IR, I'd think. If a 100 watt plexi peaks around (trying to remember) 260 watts, just about any generic 400 watt+ power amp with a decent slew rate and high damping factor (the important bit) should be able to accurately stress a speaker/cab properly. Who doesn't have access to a 1,000 watt Crown or some such?

chip mcdonald
07-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Matching the power levels would be the important bit, now that I think about it, and the methodology to how one does the IR versus frequency.

Smurf
07-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Magicbuss, Thank You for that information. I have been using Recabinet with ReValver II & III, along with various other free-b amp sims, and really like what I can get. My problem was wanting the "room" ones, off the speaker mics. I would rather have these IR's instead of using verb-delat-844 for this.

I need to check out these Redwire ones later tonight. :cool:

calico6
07-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Redwire EV...sweet.
Cheers, Cal.

Coerce
07-10-2010, 10:54 AM

:)

Post some samples of the redwires vs traditional ir's through tube amp.

nikki-k
07-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Love LePou's "LeCab" free IR host VST. Can do stereo, mono, blended. Simple.

robo
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Redwire has shitty highend compared to recabinet because they used a hi-fi amp.

Actually you do. Tube power amplifiers are full bandwidth and extremely flat, just with somewhat higher distortion levels, around 3% - 8% depending on input level. Guitar amp output transformers typically extend far beyond the frequency response of the speakers... say 12khz or so for the crappiest Peavey OT compared to 5khz or so for a typical speaker? Higher quality amps have amazingly nice transformers some of which go to 30khz!

99.9% of the tone shaping in a guitar amp happens in the preamp. The observed changes in timbre of a cranked amp is the contribution of many factors; PI distortion (rarely extreme), power tube distortion, possible output transformer saturation, speaker distortion, fletcher-munson contour, the room, observer location relative to source, etc.

Redwirez are by far my favorite IRs. I feel they did the right thing using a Bryston amp. Once you get a reactive load box (the real secret) and DI a real amp into them it all becomes superfluous.