PDA

View Full Version : Microphone problem - kindly help me

d the s
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
hai guys
learning and loving reaper very much

i bought a microphone (brand : shure) and recorded some tracks with reaper. i conected the mic directly to the mic input of my computer. the out put sound is very much reduced. i turned the volume of my speakers (multimedia speakers) to full but the out put audio is not effective, forceful and is very much low.

(previously i recorded with a small chat mic in which the out put audio was good but it pickups surrounding sounds and the out put audio is full of hisss sound.)

kindly tell me what i have to do to have the full input and good output of my new shure mic. wheather i have to get a amplifier? is it possible to connect the amplifier to pc?

kindly advice

Mr. Data
11-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Yes, you probably need a preamp for your microphone.

-Data

d the s
11-18-2009, 11:02 PM
thankyou very much mr Data

kindly tell me is it the problem of pre amp or anything else?

d the s
11-18-2009, 11:57 PM
dear guys

i got the mail from my friend insisting me to buy a small mixing board.

at my place (chennai india) with in my budjet a small mixing board is available.

kindly tell me if i purchase a mixng board then will it solve the problem?
will it possible for me to get full input and good out put?
is it possible to connect the mixing board to pc?

Kindly help me with this technical issues

awaiting

Fabian
11-19-2009, 01:26 AM
kindly tell me if i purchase a mixng board then will it solve the problem?

Most likely it will solve your problem with the mic pre-amp. Most likely it is also possible to connect to the PC. But we cannot answer definitively since you do not tell us what mixing board that is, brand?, model? (age?) etc...

Most of your HW problem seem related to the fact that you are still using your computers built-in audio card. The first thing you want to do is buy a decent external audio card, either USB or FW. Maybe the mixing board you are talking about is (also) such an audio card...

d the s
11-19-2009, 10:58 PM
thanks guys

the mixing board at my place (chennai , india) is BX 8 P Proton 8 channel mixer and Yamaha mixer 82CX

other advanced and costlier mixers are available also but for my budjet the above said two only...........

(the sound cord costs abour 9500 indian bucks, interface about 35000 indian bucks, and mixing borad about...... proton 8000 indian bucks and yamaha 12500 indian bucks.)

kindly advice me shall i go agead with the mixing board.. or anything else please suggest me
(if the interface is the correct remedy then i have to )

awaiting

d the s
11-20-2009, 10:44 PM
dear guys,

i checked in the net about yamaha 82 cx mixer, there is no indication of inbuilt mic preamps. kindly inform me wheather i have to buy a seperate mic pre amp with this mixer or not?

awaiting

d the s
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
dear guys,

with the tascam interface us 144 usb interface , will the problem of mine solve?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASUS144

or i have to buy yamaha mixer or any preamps?

i am confussed !

kindly help

zappsunzorn
11-20-2009, 11:42 PM
That mixer has multiple mic pres. I would suggest that unless you are going to mix multiple sources before going into your computer, or want a mixer for live (or rehearsal use) I would spend the same amount of money on a usb or firewire interface with a pair of mic preamps.

The native audio built in on most computers is noisy, and not made for high quality audio.

brainwreck
11-20-2009, 11:48 PM
the mixer and interface both have microphone preamps. the interface has two, the mixer has four. the interface will give you higher quality sound than your computer's sound card can provide. if you plan to do overdubs, i would pick the interface in your case.

zappsunzorn
11-20-2009, 11:57 PM
with the tascam interface us 144 usb interface , will the problem of mine solve?

kindly help

That one should be a big step up from using your computers mic input. You will have 2 mic preamps with phantom power and midi.

d the s
11-21-2009, 12:14 AM
kindly suggest any cheeper and best interface, which can rectify the problem.

here at my place (chennai india) the interface conts above 30000 indian bucks (high for my budjet)

my set up: : : a small room, pc with daw, shure mic (newly bought), yamaha psr 413, a casio key board (old one), 4 multimedia speakers with a woofer.

Persons involved for recording: : : i, me and myself (sorry boss i have no support)

for vocals : : : i have 2 friends to help me.

AWAITING......

Sheppola
11-21-2009, 06:18 AM
See if you can find a Hi-Fi shop or a Disco gear shop.They may have a cheap mini mixer that can boost the power of the mic to the,"Line" level required for recording similar to things like this,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31137

It's not fancy but would do the job and cheap.Also never forget Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sound-LAB-G-105D-4-channel-Stereo-microphone-mixer_W0QQitemZ140360232971QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_M ixers?hash=item20ae1f300b

If you have an old Hi-Fi amp or similar some have a Mic unput.You can plug a mic into that and then take the line-out into your sound card for now but watch levels for distortion.

HTH :)

dumant
11-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Could you tell us more about the mic? What model is it? There are many Shure microphones...

Bruno

d the s
11-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Could you tell us more about the mic? What model is it? There are many Shure microphones...

Bruno

the mic is not much costlier

it is SHURE c 606

dumant
11-24-2009, 12:39 AM
the mic is not much costlier

it is SHURE c 606

Thanks, I wanted to make sure it was not an electret mike.

I second Sheppola's suggestions if you don't have the budget for an external audio interface. If you have a bit more money, you can try the Alesis Multimix 4 USB that combines a small mixer and a USB audio interface (Please note that I have never tried that model, but the Alesis multimix series ar quite popular).

If you want a midi interface as well (has your keyboard a midi interface?), I don't know anythong cheaper than the Tascam US-122L (should be cheaper than the 144).

Hope this helps...

danerada
11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree with dumant - if you need mid and multiple interfaces you can't really get much cheaper....unless you can find one used somewhere near you.

d the s
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks, I wanted to make sure it was not an electret mike.

I second Sheppola's suggestions if you don't have the budget for an external audio interface. If you have a bit more money, you can try the Alesis Multimix 4 USB that combines a small mixer and a USB audio interface (Please note that I have never tried that model, but the Alesis multimix series ar quite popular).

If you want a midi interface as well (has your keyboard a midi interface?), I don't know anythong cheaper than the Tascam US-122L (should be cheaper than the 144).

Hope this helps...

yes this will help me , thanks