PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding!

sp4miz
02-26-2006, 12:33 PM
I was able to get on the 'net with my various instruments with the help of other musicians here in the forum and had a really killer time. No need to lug heavy equipment, set up, and leave smelling like a cigarette. Truley addicted I am!

tedturnip
03-13-2006, 01:24 PM
sp4miz,

You didn't have trouble with the delay or playing with the metronone while hearing the other instruments? I kept wanting to sync with the other instruments and I would lose the metronome. I found the first experience frustrating. What did you do to overcome these things?

sp4miz
03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
First, I jam along with the other musicians WITHOUT transmitting. This way I can get into the groove better and when I've got the groove and the key together I click "transmit" when I can add to the music without being rude and stepping all over someone else. I don't like the metronome on but I am aware of the BPM and the BPI and I make sure to vote when prompted if, of course I am in agreement with the other musicians. To be honest, I really do not understand how the latency issue is resolved by "lengthening" the time difference, but it works and once you get used to it jammin' along becomes quite natural.. Thus it's jammin' in virtual real time AKA fake time.
Also, I have had experiences with other musicians who have had problems with echoes, delay, and the metronome when they were mic'ing their instrument and/or voice and the mic picked up the extra noise from their monitors/speakers. If this is the case try a pair of headphones when using a mic and then there should be no problem. Hope this helps.

tedturnip
03-13-2006, 07:48 PM
I didn 't know I could jam along without transmitting. I will have to try that. I didn't notice that feature in my mac ninjam client. Thanks for the help

FingerSoup
03-15-2006, 12:00 PM
the other thing to realize, is that provided people are actually following the metronome, the music should be in sync with the metronome. My delay issues were a problem with my drivers - You need a decent sound card with either decent ASIO drivers, or decent latency in ASIO4ALL.... Of course, if you use a Mac or Linux it's different, you need to have your settings customized. Aside from that, if you can hear a delay with your instrument, then so will everyone else.

FingerSoup
03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
To be honest, I really do not understand how the latency issue is resolved by "lengthening" the time difference, but it works and once you get used to it jammin' along becomes quite natural.. T

The way it seems to work can be seen in the following chart.

Server User A User B User C
Int'vl Hears Hears Hears Notes
1 A1 B1 - Users A/B Join - hear themselves only
2 A2B1 B2A1
3 A3B2 B3A2 C3 User C Joins, hears him/herself only
4 A4B3C3 B4A3C3 C4A3B3
5 A5B4C4 B5A4C4 C5A4B4
6 A6B5C5 B6A5C5 C6A5B5

Basically, you are playing with everyone's previously recorded sequence, which is why chord/key changes don't work to well between sequences. the larger the BPI Interval, the more complex your chord changes will be, but that also means the longer you have to wait to hear everyone else's music. Chord progression changes/key changes are darned near impossible, because for it to occur, everyone would have to change to the new key/progression completely blindly - Over top of the old chords. This is because you are not playing to what everyone else is currently playing, but to what everyone has already played. You are playing live to what everyone else did one bar ago. Thus, you can't hear when someone changes keys/chord progressions, until you hit the next interval, at which point, you are playing the wrong notes for the new key/chord progression.

Someone please correct me if I am completely off-base...

squonk
03-20-2006, 04:47 AM
THx that explains it well for me why could no one else explain it like that.

Guy

The way it seems to work can be seen in the following chart.

Server User A User B User C
Int'vl Hears Hears Hears Notes
1 A1 B1 - Users A/B Join - hear themselves only
2 A2B1 B2A1
3 A3B2 B3A2 C3 User C Joins, hears him/herself only
4 A4B3C3 B4A3C3 C4A3B3
5 A5B4C4 B5A4C4 C5A4B4
6 A6B5C5 B6A5C5 C6A5B5

Basically, you are playing with everyone's previously recorded sequence, which is why chord/key changes don't work to well between sequences. the larger the BPI Interval, the more complex your chord changes will be, but that also means the longer you have to wait to hear everyone else's music. Chord progression changes/key changes are darned near impossible, because for it to occur, everyone would have to change to the new key/progression completely blindly - Over top of the old chords. This is because you are not playing to what everyone else is currently playing, but to what everyone has already played. You are playing live to what everyone else did one bar ago. Thus, you can't hear when someone changes keys/chord progressions, until you hit the next interval, at which point, you are playing the wrong notes for the new key/chord progression.

Someone please correct me if I am completely off-base...