PDA

View Full Version : How to Freeze a VSTi in REAPER

malcolmj
03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi all,

Similar to the BFD thread, here's a procedure that will allow you to "Freeze" a VSTi - i.e. to record the output as a WAV so you have the option to remove the VSTi and free up resources:

1. Follow the "Using VSTi's with Reaper" procedure
http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaperEffects#Using_VSTi_instruments
to record some awesome MIDI.
2. Create a new track (Ctrl+T). This is where you'll convert your awesome MIDI to a WAV.
3. Create an "Empty Event" (Insert > Empty Event) on the new track that matches the length of your MIDI track (if you have reverb tails on the MIDI track you should make the Empty Event slightly longer than the MIDI track to make sure you record all of the tail).
4. Click on the "I/O" button of your MIDI track and route the send of the MIDI track to the new track with the Empty Event.
5. Click the "Record" button of the new track to Record-Arm it.
6. Right-click on the "Record" button on the new track and select a Stereo audio input if your VSTi output is Stereo, or a Mono audio input if your VSTi output is Mono.
7. Right-click on the "Speaker" button on the new track and select "Record: do not record" (Yes, I know that "Record: do not record" doesn't make any sense, but trust me, it works).
8. Click on the "Record" button on the transport to start recording.
9. Click on the "Record" button on the transport to stop recording. The WAV file will now appear in the new track.
10. Click on the "Record" button on the new track to dis-arm the track.
11. Click on the "I/O" button on the MIDI track and disable the send to the new track (otherwise you'll have both signals on the track).

You now have a WAV file of the VSTi output and can mute, disable, or remove entirely the original MIDI track and VSTi.

The same procedure can be used to record the output of a VSTi that uses folder tracks to send multiple MIDI tracks to a VSTi in the Folder FX chain. Simply route the output of the Folder to the new track.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Art Evans
03-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Or solo the vsti track, and mix down at high speed. Rather faster and simpler, surely?

1. Follow the "Using VSTi's with Reaper" procedure
http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php...Ti_instruments
to record some awesome MIDI.

2. Solo the track you have just recorded.

3. Render the project (which will render just the solo'd track).

4. Delete the midi clip and insert the just-created audio clip instead.

5. Unsolo the track and enjoy!

malcolmj
03-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Or solo the vsti track, and mix down at high speed. Rather faster and simpler, surely?

Yes, unless you don't want to freeze the whole track, or you want the rendered track/section to automatically appear in the timeline in sync with the original.

fluffy
03-04-2006, 07:31 AM
I think both ways are valid. If everything's compltely worked out, You can do it Art's way. Malcom's way if You want to tweak it on the fly.