PDA

View Full Version : I'd like some mix critique please

pattonfreak1
01-19-2010, 06:52 PM
A new tune I'm working on... still hafta edit the guitars and drum patterns but I'd like some input mix-wise

http://www.box.net/shared/1fucm44h0n

ChaseEversole
01-19-2010, 11:00 PM
I really like this ^-^ Were the drums replaced? They sound like it (really like the kick and snare)..also, the guitars sound fantastic..Very low too, are they 7 stringed? Very nice mix.

pattonfreak1
01-20-2010, 07:24 AM
I really like this ^-^ Were the drums replaced? They sound like it (really like the kick and snare)..also, the guitars sound fantastic..Very low too, are they 7 stringed? Very nice mix.

Drums are EZDrummer w/Drum Kit From Hell. My signal chain for them has become a LOT more complicated lately:
ReaEQ or CS-12 and ReaComp on every channel except for the kick, snare and toms. They have ReaEQ individually but I route those into a sub folder with Density mkII. The kick channel also has NastyLF added as well.
The overheads have YouWaShock! added also.

The guitars are quad tracked thru PODFarm using 2 variations of TS>Treadplate (panned L 100 and R 80)and 2 variations of TS>5150 (panned R 100 and L 80).
HP/LP on all of them and foldered up running into C3_Multicomp to tame some of the "woomp".
And yes I did use my 7 string (Ibanez rg7321 w/DiMarzio D-Sonic in bridge) tuned half a step down (Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).
There you have it...
Now I just gotta add vocals.

Thanks!

mtsproductions
01-20-2010, 08:41 AM
A new tune I'm working on... still hafta edit the guitars and drum patterns but I'd like some input mix-wise

http://www.box.net/shared/1fucm44h0n

The guitars sound great

Drums I think should be fattened up they are burried by the guitars.

Am I not hearing any bass???..

Chris_P_Critter
01-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Been playing this for a few days now man. It's sooooooooooooo heavy.

Make sure you add some of those wacky scat vocals too ala Disgusted! ;)

Oh... and this needs a gong! :D

can you explain your chain on the clean guitar that comes in for the second half? That sounds fantastic!

pattonfreak1
01-20-2010, 09:01 AM
The guitars sound great

Drums I think should be fattened up they are burried by the guitars.

Am I not hearing any bass???..
Correct no bass at the moment. There is a duplicate guitar track ReaPitched down an octave blended in but no... no bass.

Yet ;)
Been playing this for a few days now man. It's sooooooooooooo heavy.

Make sure you add some of those wacky scat vocals too ala Disgusted! ;)

can you explain your chain on the clean guitar that comes in for the second half? That sounds fantastic!
You talkin bout the backing guitars right? And then on the outro the "widdle-diddle-deeeeeeeeeeeeooooow" right?

In PODFarm: Gate>TS>TreadplateDual>Treadplate Cab(no room)>57(on axis)>Compressor

In REAPER: ReaEQ>MonstaChorus>KjaerhusDelay>T.West Wide

Gong eh? Got a sample? :D

kindafishy
01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a good start. Will this end up being FTA or GW? I don't really have much comment mix-wise because it is missing bass and vocals and such, so it is kind of hard to give a critique other than to say... well 'sounds like a good start'.

You have great sounds and a nice balance for what is there so far. I think the arrangement could benefit from having a definite start and finish instead of fade in/out, but if that is an artistic choice that you have made for this song, it works okay. The drums in the first section could add a lot of interest and texture to the song if they didn't always follow the guitar so closely.

The sweetening is great. The break in between sections is pretty dramatic too.

Nice one. I hope you post the finished version.

Chris_P_Critter
01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Nice man - I never thought to disable the cab!!! That clean sound is unbelievably awesome!

Gong sample?
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=51837

:D

Needs some EQ / Compression, but useable! ;)

pattonfreak1
01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Sounds like a good start. Will this end up being FTA or GW? I don't really have much comment mix-wise because it is missing bass and vocals and such, so it is kind of hard to give a critique other than to say... well 'sounds like a good start'.

You have great sounds and a nice balance for what is there so far. I think the arrangement could benefit from having a definite start and finish instead of fade in/out, but if that is an artistic choice that you have made for this song, it works okay. The drums in the first section could add a lot of interest and texture to the song if they didn't always follow the guitar so closely.

The sweetening is great. The break in between sections is pretty dramatic too.

Nice one. I hope you post the finished version.

Oh I forgot to mention that this clip picks up about half way thru the actual song. LOL. The drum pattern is gonna be edited too. But the kick will likely still be syncopated with the guitar, but will be more "human". The bass will either be my guitar reapitched or sequenced via Kore Player. Vocals will come soon as well.

Oh, and this is GIGAWATT baby ;)

pattonfreak1
01-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice man - I never thought to disable the cab!!! That clean sound is unbelievably awesome!

Gong sample?
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=51837

:D

Needs some EQ / Compression, but useable! ;)

Cool thanks for the link!
Oh and the cab isn't disabled, the room ambience is just set to zero.

Chris_P_Critter
01-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Cool thanks for the link!
Oh and the cab isn't disabled, the room ambience is just set to zero.

Oooooh. OK! Nice. I must experiment.

shemp
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Has the gong replaced the cowbell? I'm a little behind sorry ;)

Sounds good man, you already have my comments :D

pattonfreak1
01-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Has the gong replaced the cowbell? I'm a little behind sorry ;)

Sounds good man, you already have my comments :D

You gonna want that gong in there baby!

shemp
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
You gonna want that gong in there baby!

I already DL'd it. lol

I love freesound.org

bassderek
01-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Drums sound a bit plasticky and over treble-d to me, but I suppose that sorta fits into the heavy scooped kinda sound. cymbals a little to bright on the high end for my taste.. Lots of treble in the overall mix, really.

I agree that it would benefit from a more solid start, it would feel much more in your face.

Sounds awesomely heavy and chunky though, definitely makes you want to headbang!

Not a fan of the pitch shifted guitar in the background, sounds like fuzzy something... if you don't play bass and need a real bass track, let me know, been playing for 10 years, always happy to lay down a quick track if you need it.

pattonfreak1
01-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Drums sound a bit plasticky and over treble-d to me, but I suppose that sorta fits into the heavy scooped kinda sound. cymbals a little to bright on the high end for my taste.. Lots of treble in the overall mix, really.

I agree that it would benefit from a more solid start, it would feel much more in your face.

Sounds awesomely heavy and chunky though, definitely makes you want to headbang!

Not a fan of the pitch shifted guitar in the background, sounds like fuzzy something... if you don't play bass and need a real bass track, let me know, been playing for 10 years, always happy to lay down a quick track if you need it.
I dont see how it can be too trebley... I hp/lp EVERYTHING.

Chris_P_Critter
01-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Perhaps your comp is over stating the high's? I agree with the comment, actually - OR, perhaps a very slight eq adjustment on the master to take the 4-8k down a db would suffice?

jinko17
01-21-2010, 10:17 AM
how in the hell did I miss this?! shit, i gotta keep my eye on this category.

spikemullings
01-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Very much like what you have on the track so far.

Can I very humbly suggest that the From Hell hi-hat is doing you no favours, especially in the second half. Instead of driving the thing forward it is fizzing a bit and because it is quite prominent (not a bad thing in itself), it is making the whole track fizz rather than drive a bit.

I just wonder if a different hat or a ride bell would drive the track a bit more.

FWIW 10 to the power of 1 million

jinko17
01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
that was fking badass dude!

pattonfreak1
01-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies!
I am working on eq/levels of the drums (seeing as this is where the problem lies).
Bass track is done and vocals are soon to come after I edit the drum pattern.
Also hafta "re-master" by tweaking the master chain.
Update soooooooon ;)

ChaseEversole
01-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Drums are EZDrummer w/Drum Kit From Hell. My signal chain for them has become a LOT more complicated lately:
ReaEQ or CS-12 and ReaComp on every channel except for the kick, snare and toms. They have ReaEQ individually but I route those into a sub folder with Density mkII. The kick channel also has NastyLF added as well.
The overheads have YouWaShock! added also.

The guitars are quad tracked thru PODFarm using 2 variations of TS>Treadplate (panned L 100 and R 80)and 2 variations of TS>5150 (panned R 100 and L 80).
HP/LP on all of them and foldered up running into C3_Multicomp to tame some of the "woomp".
And yes I did use my 7 string (Ibanez rg7321 w/DiMarzio D-Sonic in bridge) tuned half a step down (Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).
There you have it...
Now I just gotta add vocals.

Thanks!

Guitars sound great..I don't get the user saying the drums sound "Plasticy" or "Trebely"..like you said..you Hi passed and Low passed it..and I knew I heard a 7 string ^-^ and you are welcome.

ChaseEversole
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
And I gotta give you credit man, using POD farm and making it sound REAL is essential with using a VST as your main source of tone..I am a guitarist at heart and I really love the tone of the expensive Hi gain/Boutique tube amps..such as Mesas, Bogners, 5150's, and my favorite..Diezel from my native Germany ^-^..and POD farm emulates them very well..and if you tweak them right they sound amazing..my neighbor is a producer that does this PERFECTLY..his name is Joey Sturgis.

pattonfreak1
01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
And I gotta give you credit man, using POD farm and making it sound REAL is essential with using a VST as your main source of tone..I am a guitarist at heart and I really love the tone of the expensive Hi gain/Boutique tube amps..such as Mesas, Bogners, 5150's, and my favorite..Diezel from my native Germany ^-^..and POD farm emulates them very well..and if you tweak them right they sound amazing..my neighbor is a producer that does this PERFECTLY..his name is Joey Sturgis.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Sturgis is your neighbor and he's the man. We get it. No need to keep name dropping...

You lucky bastard ;)

I can tell you that I looooove PODFarm. But at some point this year I intend to get a PC dedicated to DAW. When I do, rest assured I'll be using TSE X-30 (and X-50 when its released) for ALL guitar tones. That thing is sooooo bad ass. But my tiny 2.0 ghz proccessor just can't handle 4 instances of that and LeCab. But me Chris and Scott all swear by (and love) Line 6.

Once I get my ENGL half stack though, look out!

ChaseEversole
01-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah... Sturgis is your neighbor and he's the man. We get it. No need to keep name dropping...

You lucky bastard ;)

I can tell you that I looooove PODFarm. But at some point this year I intend to get a PC dedicated to DAW. When I do, rest assured I'll be using TSE X-30 (and X-50 when its released) for ALL guitar tones. That thing is sooooo bad ass. But my tiny 2.0 ghz proccessor just can't handle 4 instances of that and LeCab. But me Chris and Scott all swear by (and love) Line 6.

Once I get my ENGL half stack though, look out!

ENGL eh, Like a Powerball? And yeah..sorry about the whole Sturgis thing..I got a lot of comments on UM forum because I live so close to him..nonetheless..I really like the tones people have been getting out of these ampsims..its fantastic.! I have a solid state Randall half stack..and a POD XT..and POD Farm with a UX2..so I have a lot of tones at my disposal..oh and my friend is keeping his 51 Fender Esquire and a 46' D18 here at my place..So I have been recording a few samples of the Esquire through POD Farm :)

Chris_P_Critter
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
my neighbor is a producer that does this PERFECTLY..his name is Joey Sturgis.

Nice - he's the POD Farm king. His tones are great for his stuff. Actually... I heard Oceano, and that was when I grabbed the Metal Pack (after Shemp let me use his doscount code! ;))

And, I have to agree, PF gets some sick ass tones outta this puppy!

ChaseEversole
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Nice - he's the POD Farm king. His tones are great for his stuff. Actually... I heard Oceano, and that was when I grabbed the Metal Pack (after Shemp let me use his doscount code! ;))

And, I have to agree, PF gets some sick ass tones outta this puppy!

I agree I agree. Lol..Have you heard The Devil Wears Prada's new album? Guitars were amazing on that album..he used Diamondplate with a comp, and a tubescreamer for most of the album via PF. And I agree with you saying its awesome for just a plug in..It was a good investment.

shemp
01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I agree I agree. Lol..Have you heard The Devil Wears Prada's new album? Guitars were amazing on that album..he used Diamondplate with a comp, and a tubescreamer for most of the album via PF. And I agree with you saying its awesome for just a plug in..It was a good investment.

have you heard our project? pattonfreak1, Chris_P_Critter and me? The freeze Tag Assassins? We're all Podfarm guitars. There's a few threads in this section of our stuff but it's all here too:

http://www.reverbnation.com/Thefreezetagassassins

sammydix
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Awesome guitars, man. Any time frame for the additional vocs/instruments? Would dig hearing this FULL.

pattonfreak1
01-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Awesome guitars, man. Any time frame for the additional vocs/instruments? Would dig hearing this FULL.

Thanks... and soon... VERY SOON! ;)

That is if I didnt just jinx myself :(

Chris_P_Critter
01-22-2010, 04:46 PM

Yeah man - not my cup of tea musically, but it's a top notch production - and actually made it into Revolver's top 10 albums of 09 I think.

Check out the link in Shemps post this is our stuff.

Chris_P_Critter
01-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks... and soon... VERY SOON! ;)

That is if I didnt just jinx myself :(

PRESTO

I just unjinxed you! ;)

ChaseEversole
01-23-2010, 11:09 AM
have you heard our project? pattonfreak1, Chris_P_Critter and me? The freeze Tag Assassins? We're all Podfarm guitars. There's a few threads in this section of our stuff but it's all here too:

http://www.reverbnation.com/Thefreezetagassassins

Nope, but I will check it out right now!

Oh wow..Dude..that is fucking awesome..I've listened to Steamroller 4 times and the others once..good good stuff!

Chris_P_Critter
01-23-2010, 11:18 AM
YAY STEAMROLLER! :D thanks for the listen dude!

And... ALAKAZAM - I double-unjinxed PF1. :D

ChaseEversole
01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
YAY STEAMROLLER! :D thanks for the listen dude!

And... ALAKAZAM - I double-unjinxed PF1. :D

No problem..I have been sitting here in drum editing hell for the last few hours..I needed a break :D

Chris_P_Critter
01-26-2010, 08:41 PM
No problem..I have been sitting here in drum editing hell for the last few hours..I needed a break :D

Joey put you to work, eh? :D

PF1 - a new version is highly anticipated. I just TRIPLE WHAMMY unjinxed you. :D

pattonfreak1
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Sorry... :(
Time is a hot commodity lately.
Lotta shit going down at work so I been kinda strapped. But I WILL get this up soon. I promise.

ChaseEversole
01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Joey put you to work, eh? :D

PF1 - a new version is highly anticipated. I just TRIPLE WHAMMY unjinxed you. :D

:p I am editing some drums for a friend who doesn't know how to replace them (Funny, eh?) I also converted him to Reaper :D Success!