PDA

View Full Version : Effect chain to make normal spoken voice into a "whisper"?

obijohn
03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know I can just record someone actually whispering, but there are reasons I want to change an already recorded spoken voice into a whisper. I won't go into all of them, but consistency with the other material is the main one.

Thinking about this, one difference between the two is that a spoken voice actually has pitch while a whisper is closer to pink noise. So the first thing would be a plugin that distorts pitch into pink noise. Am I thinking along the right lines here?

The main thing is to be able to do this with Reaper's included plugins, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

mtthw
03-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Yep, just vocode it with noise and it sounds just like a whisper.

ReaVocoder actually works fine theres a thread on the forum archive somewhere about how to set it up right, one track with vocals to use as modulator, white or pink noise or whatever to use as carrier, and the Reavocoder.

TalVocoder is another free one that works fine, but Voco Vee with Voco Vee capture Vst is another free one thats great, IMO. Its easy to use because you just add the VocoVee capture vst to the modulator track and add the VocoVee capture to the carrier track, then add the VocoVee Vocoder to a third track, so this makes the routing easy.

Vocoders are a challenge to set up, but once figured out its easy. Its a matter of routing one signal as carrier and one as modulator to a third track with a vocoder on it, and it combines the two.

So, maybe this will be worth trying to see if it is the sound you want.

http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/vocov.html is the vocovee link, its version 2.13 the downloistoward the bottom of the page, try using the "digital" vocoder setting if you wind up trying it.

SWAYNE
09-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Peace

I am a recording artist with a Trach Tube, and as the years go by, I am having more difficulty vocally. I never speak negatively, but it is possible I could be reduced to a whisper as my obstructed airway continues to close. When I whisper my songs (positive rap), I can do the verses with no problem. It's the projected voice that is difficult at times to do. So, can this equipment, or any other allow me to record my vocals in a whisper, and then make it sound like a normal voice? Thanks for your time.

DVDdoug
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I really don't think that's possible, at least if you want a "natural sounding" voice... :( Sometimes, people are asking how to make one voice sound like somebody else's voice (like something you'd see in a James Bond movie). So far, I haven't seen a solution. (I don't know how to create an unnatural sounding voice from a whisper either, but it seems that might be possible.)