PDA

View Full Version : Reach Out

sammydix
04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Ok, no screamin in this one and i think the mix is much clearer than Cold Soul. Just some hippy shit. Appreciate knowin what i cd have done better. Just me and EZ. Play a mean NOISY guitar, huh?

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9077545

spikemullings
04-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, I really like the song and as always great vocal Sammy. Kind of wacked out Jon Spencer thing about it?

Can I wade in with critique?

I don't think the 16th hi-hats do the song huge favours TBH and I would love to hear something a bit more laid back instead.

And while I love the guitar I wonder if you could do more to get the guitar out of the way of the vocals, perhaps with ducking or something.

I hope these comments aren't unwelcome (jeez, you all know how much I have to learn about this stuff) and I would not want them to distract from my main point which is about a great song and a great voice with wonderfully wacked out guitar playing.

sammydix
04-28-2010, 03:49 PM
thank you spike. Your comments were most welcome, that's how i hope to keep getting better. Yeah, i guess the guitar and the vocs are too close to the same freq range on the hi end and they're combating. i think i can easily fix that.

My playing "wonderfully wacked out?" ...i love that description!

kindafishy
04-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Very cool track Sam. You've got a big bottom end. It works a lot better for a laid back song like this than it does for the stoner-rock-funk mashup we got going on in Cold Soul. Here it fills out space in a very pleasant and cushiony way, but it doesn't overpower. The rest of the instruments are very clear and cut thorough nicely despite the low end cloud surrounding the tune. Nice positioning of everything too. This is a good mix with excellent dynamics, man - the chorus is especially pleasing to listen to.

I really like the distortion on the guitar. What did you use for that?

I agree with spike on the 16th notes. They could come in say, during the chorus, but maybe 8th notes with very heavy emphasis on the quarter would work better for the verses.

I like your leads. I can hear that you were just grooving along and getting into it while you were laying it down. There is a really cool and subtle expressiveness coming through there. Very nice.

sammydix
04-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, kinda, felt a little mellower here. 2 in a row for the 16th notes so time to edit the midi file. The distortion is Voxengo Boogex with a little creative eq and some backwards reverb.