PDA

View Full Version : "Free" Rough Mix - Opinions??

smallbutmighty
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Finished a new song in Reaper today. I just posted it on my website (link below). It's called "Free". Any opinions, suggestions, or comments?

Thanks folks!

ryan462
06-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Finished a new song in Reaper today. I just posted it on my website (link below). It's called "Free". Any opinions, suggestions, or comments?

Thanks folks!

Sounds great man. Not sure if it's my lame computer speakers, but the vox sound like they distort a bit at a few points where they get a little more aggressive. Maybe it was intentional .. either way, cool song!

Cheers!

smallbutmighty
06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
THanks! The distortion on the vocals in the pre-choruses was intentional.

Maybe I need to go a little more crazy with it, so there's no question....

Perin
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey,

Good job on the song! The instrument work is VERY well done.. pretty much perfect with the arrangement. I like that bass tone you have. What amp/fx do you use with your P-Bass ?

smallbutmighty
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks. It's my PBass through a Tech 21 VST pedal, and then the Ultrafunk Sonitis compressor and EQ plugs.

cedrorum
06-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Nice song and nice playing, very tight. I'm a newbie at this so take any advice I give with a grain of salt, but the vocals seem a little, and I mean a very little, too loud in places. I'm not referring to the distorted effect you were going after mentioned previously. Great rough mix though.

zoso2
06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
really cool man. i agree. the vox might need pulling down slightly in places

kindafishy
06-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Cool sounding track and a good start to the mix. Although to my ears, the vocals are a problem area, to be honest.

They are way too loud throughout. I think they are out of tune in a few places as well. They also kind of have an 'uptight' or 'lack of confidence' feeling to them. Almost as if it's a pretty new song and you are reading along with a lyric sheet while singing. As a personal artistic choice, I know you are going for distorted vocals during the chorus, but I don't think it is working (IMHO). The 'yeah, yeah' fillers seem forced, too. Sorry, I hope I'm not coming off as being overly critical, but the vocals could be rehearsed more and re-tracked. It would benefit the song quite a bit.

It's just one guy's opinion though. I really like the funky groove to this one and the message is great.

smallbutmighty
06-13-2010, 07:46 AM
I appreciate the honesty. If all I wanted was a pat on the back I would have played it for my Mom.

Some good observations on the vocals. And I agree with many of your criticisms.

Everything from top to bottom on this track is me, and the vocals are definitely the weak spot. I've already tracked and retracked them, and I'm afraid this is the best I have in me right now. At some point you have to call a song "finished" and move on to new things, you know? One complete song is worth 100 waiting for new vocal tracks.

I do hope to return to it at some point in the future with better vocal chops....or a better vocalist. Know anyone?

kindafishy
06-13-2010, 08:00 AM
I know what you mean about calling a song finished and moving along. I have a real problem with that. I tweak and listen on multiple systems, tweak and listen on multiple systems, tweak and listen on mult..., ad infinitum.

Don't knock your vocals though. You don't need a "better vocalist". Your singing isn't bad by any stretch, but I have listened to a few of your tracks and I have heard you end up with a more polished and naturally flowing performance.

If it was my track and I didn't want to redo the vocals, I would just turn the volume really low, balance the existing vocal tracks so that they don't overpower the tune and call it done.

I like the tune, otherwise I wouldn't have shared my thoughts. Good job.

smallbutmighty
06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I threw up a new mix today, for anyone interested. Brought the vocals down, fixed some timing issues, changed the synth, tweaked the distorto-voice and played with its panning, and re-recorded the vocals in the final chorus.

Kindafishy: I'm thinking I may re-record the vocals on the first verse too. Those to me are the most mechanical. The rest I can live with. Thanks for pushing me.

kindafishy
06-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Nice revision. The balance sounds great now. Every instrument sounds very clean an distinct and nothing is overpowering.

I like the synth and panning stuff in there too. Very nice.

Runaway
06-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Very good effort, not my style of music but still very listenable.

Only 2 things that jump out at me FWIW the guitar is just a little alone panned out on the left and a little distracting and while I can appreciate the distorted vocal effect IMO it needs to be more subtle.

But hey I like your voice and I don't think it needs that sort of treatment.

Good job - I'd have no problem listening to your songs and your production effort.