PDA

View Full Version : The tuna who got to know tomatoes

moio
06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey guys,

this is my work in progress, a guitar instrumental. It's still a rough mix, things are not perfect. The SSD snare sounds shitty and I'm not sure if I put in at least one part too much, so please tell me what you think.

It's my most ambitious work and right now it's beginning to drive me crazy. Time signatures don't count anymore, my CPU is going up to 40% and I go to sleep with that stupid 7/8 rhythm in my head. IT'S GOT TO STOP! :-)

http://www.reverbnation.com/moio
First song: The tuna who got to know tomatoes

Thanks & cheers
m

pattonfreak1
06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Wow!
I love it.

Has a great Zappa/early Vai (flex-able) feeling and thats just fine.
You're a damn fine guitar player moio.

Well done :D

shemp
06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
I think it's great. Arrangement is great. Composition and execution are great! I won't comment on the mix yet as I'm on the laptop speakers at the moment :D

moio
06-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks, guys.

I felt a bit like getting lost in my own brain garbage.

p.s.: I'd love to have some real drums on it. I thought about trying the voxengo drum service, but I can imagine that they will dismiss since it's a lot of work to get into the piece. So, any drummer who'd like to contribute some freakin acoustic drums?

shemp
06-22-2010, 07:39 AM
I'm back. Dude, this is really cool. I just keep smiling when I listen to it. Cool sounds all throughout. The bells, the acoustic guitar, the sudden panning of the solo, the noises, the voices, the lead work.... You have outdone yourself IMO...

Now get it out of your head man! :D It's perfect as is. Just finish the mix. It's a little dry as is.

The drums sound fine. I agree about the snare. It sounds good but I think you can get it a little "rounder" sounding.

moio
06-23-2010, 02:22 AM
I'm back. Dude, this is really cool. I just keep smiling when I listen to it. Cool sounds all throughout. The bells, the acoustic guitar, the sudden panning of the solo, the noises, the voices, the lead work.... You have outdone yourself IMO...

Now get it out of your head man! :D It's perfect as is. Just finish the mix. It's a little dry as is.

The drums sound fine. I agree about the snare. It sounds good but I think you can get it a little "rounder" sounding.

Thanks, shemp. Still thinking about another drumset. This one really is static and thin. Or rather a real drummer.

I was thinking about trying the Voxengo drumservice for 79 bucks. But I guess they will refuse because of the difficulty and the amount of work ...

bob
06-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Im a Vai fan too.It is in the Flexable style,,Salamanders in the Sun.

Ill listen again later,,my wife is having a nap and telling me to "TURN IT DOWN!"

moio
06-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Im a Vai fan too.It is in the Flexable style,,Salamanders in the Sun.

Ill listen again later,,my wife is having a nap and telling me to "TURN IT DOWN!"

Hehe. That's why I moved with all my stuff into the cellar ...

bob
06-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Hehe. That's why I moved with all my stuff into the cellar ...

yes it needs a real drummer to do your great composition justice,,Im like you though and have to do with either drum samples or my Boss dr880,,I have no alternative as my recording space is limited.

It could have been a little bit quicker I thought,,yeah 7/8.Here is one I did in 7/8,,,drum machine!hard to find drummers who can play good in 7/8

http://www.makeaguitarnoise.com/media/59b6f28c554801b3ffff8270fffffff0.mp3

stratman
06-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Stunning guitar playing and a great composition.

Pete

moio
06-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks, Pete!

Now with new (or better: good old) DFH EZ Drumset. Much better than SSD.

nofish
06-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow !

Honestly, I can't really stand the snare sound (sure, it's a matter of taste), but the rest is just great, especially the guitar playing of course.

Also love the bells and these little FX, eg the reverse sound when the distorted guitars come back in and the vocal bits.

Great work.

moio
06-28-2010, 04:10 AM
new mix online now. tweaked the snare, the drumset sounds different now (antress deathcore comp really works miracles on the drum buss). more room for guitars und drums, too.

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/4428726?play_now=true

thanks to all for feedback!

shemp
06-28-2010, 07:50 AM
yea, snare is better from what I can remember of the old one.... Mix sounds great man!